Why become a member? ×

What's your 'Hey, the bass player's here' lick?

Beedster

My dad always did this. He’d setup and always play the same pentatonic lic in G. I do the same most days but in B across 4 octaves lol. 
He played in a 20 piece big band on a Wednesday evening and I used to go along as a youngster before joining on trumpet and heard one of the other guys say, “Roys here!!!” when dad played his thing as they were all getting set up.  Happy Days. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

I’ve just built a Univox Superfuzz pedal to get that exact tone. It sounds amazing, like the world is about to explode.

ahhh no way, that is awesome, do you have any sound demos? I'd love to hear it, I know he used a DNA Analogic Bass Dragger, this is a great video of Juan from Pedals and Effects demoing it with the MCA settings (also big up Juan dude is a low key genius)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greentext said:

ahhh no way, that is awesome, do you have any sound demos? I'd love to hear it, I know he used a DNA Analogic Bass Dragger, this is a great video of Juan from Pedals and Effects demoing it with the MCA settings (also big up Juan dude is a low key genius)

I’ll see if I can knock something up tomorrow as a demo

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

Next gig it will probably be Too Shy by Kajagoogoo after all of the Nick Beggs love on here recently. Made me remember what a fantastic bass line it is 🙂

I do the start of that, as the drummer always shouts out 'what was that, jajagoogoo' when someone makes a request

Nothing particular to be honest. If FOH i usually play Money by Pink Floyd as it covers all 4 strings and i was told is ideal for the SE to set up the bass channel. 

Occasionally for a laugh i would play the opening line to Summer Loving from Grease. That always produces a reaction LOL

When the singer introduces the band i generally just take a bow or a nod of acceptance but dont play anything on the bass.

Dave

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

I'm another Money man. Maybe a bit of Good Times by Chic or Transmission by Joy Division.

Was setting up with the punk band few weeks ago and while waiting on drummer finishing his set up i quietly played a bit of the Money bass riff and a guy sitting right in front of me rolled his T-shirt sleeve up to show a large Pink Floyd tattoo. Knowing that i did a bit of One of these Days after our break while getting ready for set 2 and he clocked it right away within about 1-2 secs. I was impressed :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

Having now read thru all of this thread i need to up my game and show off a little. Some great song mentioned on here.

Dave

Edited to add that i've just downloaded the bass line for the original Good Times by Chic and quite fancy doing a bit of that altho getting that mid punch from my bass rig could be harder than learning the song LOL

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1