Why become a member? ×

Neck ”depth”

Dunno about slim or shallow, but I once bought an Aria Rickyfaker that some mug had stripped the paint off the back of the neck saying "it makes it play faster"  WTF was my thought on that.

Luckily I managed to repaint the offending area with a rattle can nitrocellulose and all was good. 

What the 'ell is a "fast" neck anyway.. beats me?? 

Having played with a horribly high action for decades, until I figured out what a truss rod actually was for (thank you bass chat) The difference in a well set up bass and a badly set up bass is significant. A well set up action does make playing easier, whether the neck is chunky or slim.

I don't know about 'faster', as I don't do 'fast' - I'm build for comfort, not for speed.

• Like 3

It does seem an odd analogy although I am sure In have used it myself in the past as, somehow, people seem to know what is meant.  But, yes, why should a neck that is narrow play faster than one that isn't?  Nonsense, really.  We all have nuanced preferences, some folks prefer narrow, some wide.  Some like C profile, others D or U.  But it is a personal choice, not a universal law.  It's taken me a long time to reach the conclusion that my most comfortable neck is 40mm wide at the nut and a C profile, but if it isn't it I might still enjoy playing it.  

• Like 1

As for stripping the paint...

A gloss finish can get a little grabby with a sweaty paw...

Simply knocking the sheen off with a fine wet n dry, light sanding paper, or scotchbright pad can improve matters.

I like the feel of unfinished wood, but not practical, and some neck manf won't g'tee unless finished.

A wipe of Danish, or other type all as a minimum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

A gloss finish can get a little grabby with a sweaty paw...

Only if you're not releasing the pressure between positions. If you are trying to slide your hand/thumb under pressure then maybe you'll stick. If you're doing it properly you won't.

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

This is something that's always confused me. Is a neck that plays "like butter" supposed to be fast because it's greasy? Or smooth? Or delicious?

It stems from the expression 'like a hot knife through butter', signifying 'with ease, without resistance or difficulty'. Some of the expression seems to have melted away over Time. B|

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It stems from the expression 'like a hot knife through butter', signifying 'with ease, without resistance or difficulty'. Some of the expression seems to have melted away over Time. B|

I see what you did there. 
Nice. 

Edited by DTB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The irony is, with the belief that a fast neck is narrow and shallow, that I played faster on my old baseball bat neck, 50s P-Bass than any other bass I've owned! It was super comfortable.

When they're too narrow/thin, I find you can actually trip over yourself a bit.

• Like 1

On 08/02/2023 at 15:40, Basso said:

There’s nothing “fast” about a slim or shallow neck.
The myth must die! 

Discuss 

I only play on slim shallow necks, so obviously they're faster for me. But enough people must like thick clunky necks that Warwick churned them out for decades, and Spector still do.

I find i can play easier (faster if you prefer to call it that) with my Geddy Jazz and my MarloweDK basses than i can on my P bass.

On saying that the P bass isnt as well set up and does need a proper set up by a luthier. It has string buzz at top or bottom of the neck depending on how straight i make the neck. I've tried so many options but it just needs some fret work done which is beyond me.

I definitely find i can move between the strings easier on a J bass but that's what i started on and have always preferred basses with a narrow slim neck.

On saying that i can play the same songs on the P bass which has a higher action and wider neck than my others so to summarise :-

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

I prefer the feel of certain neck profiles and finishes, but the bottom line is I haven't yet found one I couldn't play as well as any other.

Echo this one, ive owned many styles of bass with varying neck types, and tbh after an hour or so ive worked it out and off I go. 

Like you, there are thing I like, i love a fat fat p bass neck but im at home on anything

Fast is a misnomer. Some necks feel more comfortable to ply on than others.

I have a couple of “slim” which are great and one chunky which is fine but I did sand a bit of the gloss off of it as it did have a slightly “sticky” feel. It’s now much better and I’m equally comfortable playing that bass as the slimmer ones.

1 hour ago, Delberthot said:

The only neck I never got on with was the one on my Vintera Precision. It was super chunky.

That and the anodised scratchplate worked better than any emery board for removing the skin off your fingers

Beautiful bass though

20220213_081833.jpg

20220213_082053.jpg

That's interesting as its the vintera P bass i currently have. Why couldn't you get on with it compared to other P basses. Just curious as to whether i should try other P basses before knocking it on the head with them.

Dave

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

I only play on slim shallow necks, so obviously they're faster for me. But enough people must like thick clunky necks that Warwick churned them out for decades, and Spector still do.

Yep. Me, I like a chunky neck. 50’s v on my Strat and 6 string on my basses. Comes from playing and learning on acoustic guitar first i think. 1.75 inch nut. 

I suppose if I had to choose a preferred type it'd be more of a chunky baseball bat neck, but I'm really not fussed, if you shove a bass in my mits I'll get the hang of it whatever. 

Thinking back the only bass I really hated, the neck / fboard in particular, was a Wal. I had one very briefly about 1981 and got rid of it pretty sharpish.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I suppose if I had to choose a preferred type it'd be more of a chunky baseball bat neck, but I'm really not fussed, if you shove a bass in my mits I'll get the hang of it whatever. 

Thinking back the only bass I really hated, the neck / fboard in particular, was a Wal. I had one very briefly about 1981 and got rid of it pretty sharpish.. 

Had a WAL custom lined fretless around 84 but i really liked the neck on that. One of the nicest basses i've owned apart from the dead spot on the G string and that's why i passed it on after about a year. WAL didn't want to know and were no help whatsoever. 

I currently have an Overwater custom fretless 6er and i can jump between that neck and my other basses pretty easily. Had a play around with the Vintera bass today and was actually quite enjoying it again.

Dave

32 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

That's interesting as its the vintera P bass i currently have. Why couldn't you get on with it compared to other P basses. Just curious as to whether i should try other P basses before knocking it on the head with them.

Dave

The width of the VIntera neck wouldn't have normally bothered me, neither would the thickness of it but both together made it feel really chunky and I just couldn't get around it as quickly as I could with other basses before or since

I think also I'm that used to Jazz sized necks now. My main basses since 2016 have been Musicman Sterlings and Jazzes of various descriptions.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Delberthot said:

The width of the VIntera neck wouldn't have normally bothered me, neither would the thickness of it but both together made it feel really chunky and I just couldn't get around it as quickly as I could with other basses before or since. It felt like hard work trying to play songs I had no bother playing on other basses

I think also I'm that used to Jazz sized necks now. My main basses since 2016 have been Musicman Sterlings and Jazzes of various descriptions.