Why become a member? ×

Its a journey..

BaggyMan

13 minutes ago, lidl e said:

One of the few in that pic i still have

Surprisingly awesome.

PXL_20220909_205048132.thumb.jpg.0c7bbc156260294b2273fc10cacd6458.jpg

I really fancy one of these.   Supposedly fantastic build quality and DiMarzios?  Time was they were reasonably priced secondhand but they seem to have soared in the last couple of years so I have probably lost the window.  Plus it was mainly to irriitate the guitarist of a band I was in - to see the look of horror spread acxross his face when I strapped one of those on for a gig would have been a treat - but that fell apart years ago.

• Like 1

First - Epiphone Violia bass

Second -Rickenbacker 4001

Third - Squier Matt Freeman P-Bass (still have)

Fourth - Fender fretless Jazz

Fifth - Squier fretless P-Bass

Sixth - Fender Flea Jazz (still have) 

Seventh - Bass Collection Betsy Bass (still have) 

Eighth- Squier fretless Jazz (still have) 

Ninth - Squier FSR Mustang blue (still have)

10 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I really fancy one of these.   Supposedly fantastic build quality and DiMarzios?  Time was they were reasonably priced secondhand but they seem to have soared in the last couple of years so I have probably lost the window.  Plus it was mainly to irriitate the guitarist of a band I was in - to see the look of horror spread acxross his face when I strapped one of those on for a gig would have been a treat - but that fell apart years ago.

Mate, im not even saying it because i own it, but it is pretty much the punchiest P sound youve ever heard. Really pops and cuts through. 

Obviously bejng so tiny it plays super fast. 

I bought it when they came out thinking id have a super cool daughter one day who wanted to play it.

I got the super cool daughter, but she has no interest. And she's left handed.

Ive had many people PM me to buy it, but my wife wont let me sell.

I also have the original pink gig bag. 

Its one of two basses i have left that are fully stock assuming a coupke of Ibys i have up for sale go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

The star one would be the one to get I'd say, kind of mini Bootsy Collins 

I dotn know why they dont make the shaped ones any more. They really set them apart as a company and they are the namesake!

2 minutes ago, lidl e said:

I dotn know why they dont make the shaped ones any more. They really set them apart as a company and they are the namesake!

I guess they reckoned they'd exhausted the sales possibilities on these, they're a bit of a gimmick as fun as they are, future collectors item no doubt. 

• Like 1

Anyway, to chart the journey, let me see if i can remember everything.

Kramer aluminum neck sold for

Ric 4001 mapleglo traded for

Peavey Rudy Sarzo bass (which was stolen, i got insurance money for it and then recovered years later. I still have it, but i defrtted it). I used the

insurance money to buy

Ibanez SDGR1500. I evetually put a kahler whammy on it. My buddy in the states has it somewhere.

Then i bought my 98 MIA jazz bass which is still my main today. I have heavily modified it with a refinish, badass II, SD antiquity IIs  and a lusithand single NFP jazzplate preamp.

Then i went a bit mental.

Peavey T40 sold

Ibanez 2615b (stolen but i got another,  currently on sale here in dublin)

Ibanez musician bean bass (currently on sale here in dublin)

85 ibanez artcore hollowboy (sold)

Early 80s ibanez destroyer copy (gave to niece)

Ibanez ICB500 iceman (biggest selling regret)

Gibson Thunderbird (2nd biggest selling regret. My main for years. Needed the money. Sold in London)

German Hofner beatle bass (sold)

Wal mkII walnut 5 string. (Sold to sam rivers of limp bizkit for 2300 quid. Would be 20k today!)

Musicvox 12 string space cadet bass (witha buddy in the states)

A pair of acrylic green mockingbrids guitar and bass matching (with a buddy in the states)

BC Rich custom shop 6 string bich bass (sold when in london)

US Guild Starfire II (sold in London)

Warmoth flying V 8 string with SIMs LEDs and headstock laser (still have. Thinking of selling)

Ealry Steinberger XP all original (still have)

Daisy Rock pink flower bass (still have)

MM Stingray fretless 5 (sold in london)

Late 70s BC Rich Bich bass. (Had chromed. Whereabouts unknown)

Warmoth 70s P style with moses graphite neck and 2Tek bridge (still have, getting a lot of play lately)

Dearmond ashbory (whereabouts unknown)

Acoustic Dobro bass (with a buddy)

Carvin V400 with whammy bar (sold long ago. Biggest hard case youve ever seen)

Homemade handbuilt SG bass (currently being heavily modded by a local luthier. Hope tochave back next week)

Handbuilt over the top tele bass (in my avatar. Crazy bass)

Upright Kay (sold)

A cheap BC rich warlock bass

Steinberger XQ5 (sold)

2 rickenbacker 4003 midnight blue with black (BOTH stolen!)

And the one that got away, my 63 near mint fender P that i sold for 4500 quid in 2017 to do an attic conversion. What a mistake that was. But our attic is very nice. I dont like to talk about it. It was probably the nicest 63 in existence.

Currently building a reverse headstock P. I have a thread on it in build diaries. I have high hopes for it!

Im sure there are a couple more im forgetting but that was a nice walk down memory lane...

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

Only moderately ridculous GAS for me, it would seem.  Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed 🙂

Blue Aria Pro II 80s pointy headstock thing - still lying in a mate's studio, I think.  Did all my bedroom noodling and early forays with bands on it.

Black no-name budget fretless P copy (hateful, firewood)

Blue Ibanez BTB 6 string - sold on here, sometimes wish I'd kept it.

Blue Warwick Corvette - sold, but loved it's growl.

Sunburst MIM 60s RI Jazz, only original part left is the body. DiMarzios, stack knobs, Gotoh bridge, proper neck. My bitsa and it's perfect.

2002 Blue Pearl Maple neck/board SR5H.  This and the jazz did almost all my gigs.

Lightwave VL5 fretless.  All the mwahs. Very few gigs. (Mick Karn fan).

Sunburst MIJ  P.  Very pretty, never got on with it.  Traded on here for...

... Aria SWB EUB.

Gold Jack Casady.  Bought here, gigged a couple of times and then kept at home.

Emerald Blue G&L Tribute LB-100 with the pups swapped out for Dimarzios.  Fantastic (IMHO) for the price.

It feels to me like I've at least tried most of the iconic styles of bass, but I'd love a crack at a TRB6 or a Warwick 6er just to convince myself I don't need them 😁

• Like 1

Entertaining thread. Sometime last year the thought crossed my mind to list the basses I've owned. I had to dig through the classifieds to get an idea on dates of the more recent ones, and through old photos for the older ones. My total is 10 basses. The scary thing is that I've been playing for 25 years, and went through just 5 basses over the first 24 of those years (2 of which I owned for around 6 years each), and then 5 in the last year alone! I'm I guess a rare example of a one bass at a time player, only owning 2 at a time during a crossover period when I had another up for sale, oh and 3 very briefly as I tried short scale. So for many years, I was pretty restrained, and happy with what I had. Then it got a bit crazy. Now I'm settled until further notice, pending one of a couple of holy grail basses surfacing. Here is my list, along with the year the basses were made (where known):

Cheap Precision bass copy, black / rosewood (owned circa 1998-2002) 

Fender Mexican Jazz 1993, lake placid blue / rosewood (c.2003-2007) 

Epiphone Thunderbird, brown / rosewood (c.2007-2009) 

Fender Mexican Deluxe Active Jazz 2005, black / rosewood (c.2009-Dec 2015) 

Fender American Series Precision 2004, chrome red / maple (Dec 2015-Feb 2022) 

<looks relatively sensible, right? This is where it gets silly. . . >

Fender American Standard Precision 2008, black / maple (Feb-June 2022) 

Squier Vintage Modified PJ 2013, candy apple red / rosewood (June-Sep 2022) 

Squier Vintage Modified Mustang short scale 2011, s*nburst / maple (Aug-Sep 2022) 

Fender Mexican Player Precision 2021, polar white / maple (Sep 2022-Mar 2023) 

Fender Mexican Player Precision 2021, black / maple (bought Jan 2023, still have)

That was therapeutic. I can't imagine moving away from the classic Fender P bass anytime soon. 

• Like 2

Apologies in advance if this is controversial but out of curiosity, for those who've owned and sold multiple variations of the same 'type' of bass, was that driven by aesthetics or some other reason to find 'the one'?

I consider myself a bit too cloth-eared to be able to sonically distinguish (for example) one Jazz from the next, but I concede that many others probably can.  That said, I'm not awfully sure the audience can(!) I fully appreciate that build quality is important and is an entirely justifiable reason in itself to go through a few of the same type of bass.  Likewise, why gig your birth year all-original Jazz when you can gig something sonically close and a helluva lot cheaper/less heartbreaking to have dinged or nicked?

My only experience of this is owning a Jap Fender P which felt and sounded uninspiring (to me) and now owning a much less expensive P which feels and sounds great.

• Like 3

I was fortunate in that I found the bass that suits me ('72 Jazz, found in a hock shop in the early 1980s) quite early on. It was the first quality instrument I bought and the third bass I owned, so I haven't had that many. I try other basses (and have bought the odd one over the years), but I keep coming back to the old favourite. It just works for me. I have a Mex' PJ as a backup instrument, a Bitsa P I assembled and a cheapish 5, but that's about it.

• Like 1

On 11/03/2023 at 17:00, Dan Dare said:

I was fortunate in that I found the bass that suits me ('72 Jazz, found in a hock shop in the early 1980s) quite early on. It was the first quality instrument I bought and the third bass I owned, so I haven't had that many. I try other basses (and have bought the odd one over the years), but I keep coming back to the old favourite. It just works for me. I have a Mex' PJ as a backup instrument, a Bitsa P I assembled and a cheapish 5, but that's about it.

Similar to me- lucky to land on a lovely bass at 16- didn't get another untill I was 31!!

Discovering Basschat (and particularly the classifieds) has not helped with a new and growing sense of GAS, mind... 😬

• 2 weeks later...

In chronological order, every bass I have ever owned:

Aria Pro II Laser Electric Classic (still own and love it)

Rickenbacker 4001 (vintage 70's, that I quickly came to absolutely hate, went under the couch at the band rehearsal space to stay there, until it eventually it got stolen, don't miss it one bit, but do regret missing out on the resale money, most expensive piece of crap I ever bought)

Jerry Jones Neptune Longhorn Bass (loved it, but was suppid enough to sell, still regret)

Westone Violin/Beatles Bass (great for what it was, but just wasn't for me, short acquaintance before selling again)

Dan Armstrong Plexi Bass (didn't care for it, neither the sound of any of the two swapable pickups it came with or the feel, sold it fairly quickly, kind of regret though)

Warmoth 28 5/8" scale 4 string bass, made out of Warmoth baritone parts (loved it, but was stupid enough to sell, and for pretty much peanuts compared to what it costed me to have build, still regret)

Ibanez GSRM20 and GSRM25 Mikro Basses (still own, and absolutely love the 4 string)

Egmond vintage late 60's short scale bass (worst piece of crap that I should never have bought, pretty much completely unplayable, that I am now stuck with)

Harley Benton GuitarBass (great take on the Fender Bass VI concept, still own with no plans to ever sell)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, lonestar said:

My first bass. £30 from Wing Music in Bromley. £449! Wish I’d kept it

Mine too - I paid about the same as you for it in the mid 80s from one of the shops on Tottenham Court Road. I'll always remember it because as I was trying it out, a bloke tried to pay for something expensive with a dodgy credit card, got rumbled and made a dash for the door with a couple of sale assistants in pursuit. He didn't get away with the goods. I decided to pay cash. 😃

9 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I've been after the star shaped version of one of these for about the last 3 years - no luck so far.

Whenever I've posted that, someone always says the same thing. 

I dont know why they wouldn't make them anymore. 

I suppose the market isnt there, but the company is still around. They just make "normal" instruments.

• Like 1

Another memory test (like the amps thread). Let me see

Columbus Jazz

Hondo Ric

Fender Precision (one or two!!)*

Tokai VSB (keep looking at the one in the 'For Sale')

Custom Precision (built by Graham Wheeler in Worthing)

Squier Precision x 4

Rickenbacker 4000 (in fairness, I was given it)

Tokai Jazz Sound*

Greco Spacy Sound*

Fender Jazz Fretless

Fender Precision A/E fretless*

Fender Precision fretless x 2

Custom Precision (built by SVL Guitars) x 2*

Westone Thunder 1A

Music Man Stingray

OLP Stingray

Sterling SUB Stingray

*currently in possession.

• 3 months later...