Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Newport reissue

neepheid

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

If anyone's after one of these and near Manchester, an orange one has just appeared on facebook marketplace for £250, including Rotosound black nylons so a bit of a bargain. 

Nothing to do with btw, just thought I'd post it here. 

Link.

Looks cool with that scratch plate and knobs on it too

• Like 1

So someone bought it, spent money on new strings and new pickguard etc.. and is selling after a week or so for less than retail...even if you were in the trade and got it cost that does not make any sense to me, unless after investing time and money it is still a dog or sounds rubbish

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Aidan63 said:

So someone bought it, spent money on new strings and new pickguard etc.. and is selling after a week or so for less than retail...even if you were in the trade and got it cost that does not make any sense to me, unless after investing time and money it is still a dog or sounds rubbish

Can't really return it after the pickguard job - looks like it's been screwed in.  Not necessarily a dog - maybe they overstretched themselves financially and seeing as it can't be returned, this is their only option.  Maybe threw out the stock rounds too.  I dunno.

Maybe they bought the bass on a whim but felt slightly disappointed with it once it arrives.  So they changed stuff in the hope that it will somehow feel better - new pickguard, strings etc... but still not bond with it so move it on at a huge loss.

I've never once done this myself, of course.

Well, maybe once.

OK, lots of times.

• Haha 6

I went to check the Manchester bass out, just now.

Looks and feels very cool, especially with the Serek style pickguard.

Very nice guy selling, who said it had been set up

But unfortunately, it had been set up by a friend.

The action was really high, yet the A and E strings really buzzed.

String winding extended over the nut, on the D & G strings etc.

Probably just needs a proper set up but I decided against, in the end.

I'll probably get a new one some time, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The new gold foil jazz seems to come with a misplaced bridge as standard.

Is QC taking a hit?

Look at the bridge, the string placement is ridiculous and this is their official marketing photo!!!

0140711372_fen_ins_fbd_1_nr.jpg

Edited by Badscrew

the pickup looks genuinely too small for the string spacing and the pickup position, like they designed it (or bought it in from someone) as a neck pickup for a short scale (like the Epi Newport) and then stuck it in the P position on a long scale

The Fender has got its own thread, here. It's pretty bad, more than one instrument affected.

About the Newport - in the latest demo video I don't hear the pickup phase problem that "Lobster" had earlier. In both videos I hear something odd with the blend knob, however, it seems to "switch" with a sudden volume change.

57 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Threaded saddle pieces so easy fix.

Except there are no retention slots for the saddle screws on the bridge so the bridge pieces will get pulled all over the place.

It's a fix that shouldn't be necessary anyway

• Like 1