Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Newport reissue

neepheid

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
41 minutes ago, Rumple said:

I Have a slight hankering for one of these despite some reviews being less than favourable, anyone got any updates to add about their experiences owning one?

I don't pay much attention to some of the feedback.  I ,research, ponder,and then purchase.

Having owned a 65 Epiphone Newport bass which I traded for a 1969 Gibson EB3 slot head (which I still own) back in 1970, I have waited sometime for a reissue. There was lots of stuff on tinternet but I purchased one of the early batches. The bass is a pleasure to play ,has a comfortable weight and balances nicely on strap or knee. I rewired the phase of the bridge Pup and replaced the stock neck Pup with an Artec EBC4 Mudbucker. The result is a fantastically flexible bass which is capable of handling a wide range of musical needs. 

Super slim neck,  easy fretboard radius and huge power output for a passive instrument. 

Yup the stock bass is pretty average but with a few tweaks and additions it can be a real brute of a bass catering from bluesy thump thro to Jack Bruce classic to Andy Frazer honk.

Great value for money. 

Edit

I'm sure somebody from the EU or Denmark will be along shortly to knock my comments 

Edited by JohnDaBass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

I'm sure somebody from the EU or Denmark will be along shortly to knock my comments 

Denmark is in the EU, so it was kind of a redundant thing to say, unless it was specifically aimed at someone...

I'm at a loose end, can you tell?

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

I don't pay much attention to some of the feedback.  I ,research, ponder,and then purchase.

Having owned a 65 Epiphone Newport bass which I traded for a 1969 Gibson EB3 slot head (which I still own) back in 1970, I have waited sometime for a reissue. There was lots of stuff on tinternet but I purchased one of the early batches. The bass is a pleasure to play ,has a comfortable weight and balances nicely on strap or knee. I rewired the phase of the bridge Pup and replaced the stock neck Pup with an Artec EBC4 Mudbucker. The result is a fantastically flexible bass which is capable of handling a wide range of musical needs. 

Super slim neck,  easy fretboard radius and huge power output for a passive instrument. 

Yup the stock bass is pretty average but with a few tweaks and additions it can be a real brute of a bass catering from bluesy thump thro to Jack Bruce classic to Andy Frazer honk.

Great value for money. 

Edit

Andy Fraser honk... a very righteous thing indeed. 

Cool looking basses that I've had my eye on. Great that you have got yours sounding as it should with just a couple of inexpensive tweaks.

• Like 1

Just out of nerdy interest John, where is the bridge pickup on yours? You have one from an early batch so I'm just wondering if your bridge Pup is really close to the bridge as some promo photos suggest. It seems that now they've moved it further north...unless the early pics were some kind of photoshop skullduggery.

Wondering if any Newports were released with the former...

As you do 😉

Edited by miles'tone

9 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Just out of nerdy interest John, where is the bridge pickup on yours? You have one from an early batch so I'm just wondering if your bridge Pup is really close to the bridge as some promo photos suggest. It seems that now they've moved it further north...unless the early pics were some kind of photoshop skullduggery.

Wondering if any Newports were released with the former...

As you do 😉

News to me, not aware that the bridge Pup had moved. I did forget to mention that I did replace the bridge with a Hipshot 2 point bridge to improve intonation and action height adjustment. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Great value for money. 

Edit

Many thanks for the info, it sounds like a few mods would certainly be the way to go.

• Like 1

I love mine. The nearest tone to an upright that I’ve achieved (with flats).

I put Gotoh tuners on it, and filed the nut slots down a bit, apart from that, it’s a lovely bass with a ton of low end, and no need for any major upgrades really.

Both pickups are great, but the controls are very scratchy regardless of what I do (switch cleaner etc). Nice tidy compartment, MIK Alpha pots, shielded…. great little bass indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1