Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Newport reissue

neepheid

After they put out the Embassy, I wondered how long it would take them to do the Newport.  Well, now they have, short scale lovers.

image.png.d30b02e81ced39552b315d3a9d115c75.png

Around £350 gets you a pretty decent modern reinterpretation of the pre '63 Newport.  Nice colours too.  There's not even a sniff of them on the Epiphone website yet, but they're in retailers now (picture nicked from Peach Guitars, Guitar Guitar have 'em too, probably others)

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Now that is nice. The only thing they've got wrong is the tuners but that's an easy fix.

I hope they're not the same garbage tuners as found on the Embassy, but I suspect they will be, so even if you like the small buttons you'll want to change 'em.  Very vague and too much play in them.

Interesting spread of weight for the individuals.  If I were interested in getting one (which of course I am not.  Not even remotely) I would pop along to Peaches (which Google maps tells me would take 55mins currently due to a crash on the A12) (not that I'm interested) and grab a light one.

Hellfire and damnation, the last thing I need is a new bass.  But, well....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've gone off short scales recently but those do look pretty nice! I have no idea what the originals looked like so I don't know if they're close or not, feels a bit like the tuners would have looked nicer if they were vintage/clover style though? 

1 minute ago, Lw. said:

I've gone off short scales recently but those do look pretty nice! I have no idea what the originals looked like so I don't know if they're close or not, feels a bit like the tuners would have looked nicer if they were vintage/clover style though? 

All the skinny on the OG Newport Deluxe courtesy of Fly Guitars - https://www.flyguitars.com/epiphone/bass/1962EpiphoneNewportDeluxe.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, grayn said:

The original Newport influenced the Serek Midwestern.  Though I don't think Serek will feel too threatened by this re-issue.

Completely different target market and price bracket - they should be able to coexist happily.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Now that is nice. The only thing they've got wrong is the tuners but that's an easy fix.

Unusual for a bass to have a tuner built in, I can'see the need for more than one. What are the machine heads like?🙃

On a serious note, they do look correct for the era of the original. However, I do agree that they probably could be improved upon.

Edited by Chienmortbb

Yeah, styling wise, if you want a budget Serek, these look good. But those tuners are all wrong. Why reissue a 'classic' bass with modern looking tuners?! Put elephant ear tuners on them for goodness sake!

I'll be sticking with my Midwestern :) 

E4195B0D-9655-415F-989F-914CAA9603C9.jpeg.725b3bde2b1477fd2d18767db4ca26f9.jpeg

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 6