Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Newport reissue

neepheid

10 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Yeah, styling wise, if you want a budget Serek, these look good. But those tuners are all wrong. Why reissue a 'classic' bass with modern looking tuners?! Put elephant ear tuners on them for goodness sake!

I'll be sticking with my Midwestern :) 

Si

I think it's a bit cheeky to call this a budget Serek, considering the Newport was Epiphone's idea in the first place.  Surely a Serek is an expensive/boutique Epiphone? ;)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, neepheid said:

After they put out the Embassy, I wondered how long it would take them to do the Newport.  Well, now they have, short scale lovers.

image.png.d30b02e81ced39552b315d3a9d115c75.png

Around £350 gets you a pretty decent modern reinterpretation of the pre '63 Newport.  Nice colours too.  There's not even a sniff of them on the Epiphone website yet, but they're in retailers now (picture nicked from Peach Guitars, Guitar Guitar have 'em too, probably others)

I could let the off with the bridge/tailpiece but why those controls? Why no 2+2 and a selector, like Epi did with the SGs?

2 minutes ago, NikNik said:

I could let the off with the bridge/tailpiece but why those controls? Why no 2+2 and a selector, like Epi did with the SGs?

If I had to guess - it's an inexpensive bass, so they'll reuse the wiring harness (and knobs) from the Embassy to save money.  The modern Gibson SG has been VVT for some time now, so there's also some precedent for this kind of simplification.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, neepheid said:

I think it's a bit cheeky to call this a budget Serek, considering the Newport was Epiphone's idea in the first place.  Surely a Serek is an expensive/boutique Epiphone? ;)

Haha, I take your point, however I think it's probably whatever the current benchmark/association is. I fully understand it's originally an Epi shape, but whenever I see it now, my association is with Serek.

Si

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Haha, I take your point, however I think it's probably whatever the current benchmark/association is. I fully understand it's originally an Epi shape, but whenever I see it now, my association is with Serek.

Si

Completely understandable point of view to take if you own a Serek :)

As a neutral who owns neither and has no desire to do so, I'll go with historical precedent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aidan63 said:

The Epiphone is listed as flat radius fingerboard, that's illogical it is either flat or radiused, can't be both

I've messaged Peach to ask for clarification

Sweetwater have comprehensive description, it's listed as 12" radius

On 25/01/2023 at 11:07, Sibob said:

Yeah, styling wise, if you want a budget Serek, these look good. But those tuners are all wrong. Why reissue a 'classic' bass with modern looking tuners?! Put elephant ear tuners on them for goodness sake!

I'll be sticking with my Midwestern :) 

E4195B0D-9655-415F-989F-914CAA9603C9.jpeg.725b3bde2b1477fd2d18767db4ca26f9.jpeg

Si

One day i'd love one of these - looks so cool Si

• Like 1

I’ve been mulling a shorty for a while. Mustang an option ofcourse but mulling something a bit different, touch thicker and vintage, definitely a pickup nudging the neck, maybe a mud bucker.

Remembered the Serek (as that silhouette is gorgeous). Superb bass, do they sell in Uk I check, not easy. So price it up doing an order … stinky poo those things are pricey. I like em but if I had a spare few grand I’d commission mr Wilcock. 

So a little crest fallen I back out of Google like homer into the bushes and up pops the Newport ads. They went live on shop site AS I was crying over an out of budget Serek. And SO CHEAP!! With trade ins of a couple of unwanted pedals that were going to a better home anyway £200 odd for a ‘why not’ purchase has to be done right? No brainer. 

Only thing. The California coral is clearly the best finish … but, I already have a jazz in capri - way too close. It’s either add another orange bass like a madman or go classic cherry 🤷🏻‍♂️ .. decisions. 

Would just love to see a decent thorough review pop up online first. Epiphone aren’t exactly singing from the roof tops are they. Which is strange. Anyone on here manage to make it to a shop to give one a whirl?

I'm considering one of these too: I thought about the EB-0, because I like a mudbucker, but maybe not as the only pickup, so this looks better.

Here's a new playing demo I found today, fairly short:

PS for colour, I like the Sunset Yellow most so far. Anderton's website says they're in stock, anyone near Guildford?

Edited by bnt
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, grayn said:

My 2nd fave colour on that one but it's hard to get a feel for the sound, from that guys playing.

To my ears, he made everything sound horrible.

I think it was in dire need of a setup. Suspect this one was taken straight out of the box.

I am pleased that the current management of Epiphone are recreating basses and guitars from their own past catalogues instead of imitations of the Gibson models and a couple of Hofners. Even though they were owned by Gibson since the dawn of time or at least Rock n roll time, they have a heritage of their own which is well worth recreation.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, matbard said:

well, I'm always hoping in a proper Epiphone reissue of Grabbers and Rippers and maybe RDs (not the ones reissued in the past)

You might get a passive RD (i.e. RD Standard) but the OG RD Artist with Moog circuit?  That's in "eat my hat/flying pigs/snow in hell" type territory...

• Haha 1