Why become a member? ×

Radio 6

Beedster

The problem I have found is that after about a month or so you are very familiar with 90% of the music they are playing.

If I want to listen to stuff I know and like I have my iTunes library and Spotify. The whole point of radio for me is that it will introduce me to to new songs and bands and surprise me in the way that John Peel's programme did night after night in the late 70s and early 80s.

Radio 6 is fine for a couple of weeks, but then I need to stop listening for a few months otherwise I get bored of hearing the same songs over and over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marky L said:

Still haven't called my Trunk of Punk selection in yet. Regularly get my comments about what selection has just been played read out though :)

Yeah - do it. 

I am a fairly regular commentor too - especially on Lamacq's national anthem slot. Managed to get on Keaveny's Small Claims Court once also 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The problem I have found is that after about a month or so you are very familiar with 90% of the music they are playing.

If I want to listen to stuff I know and like I have my iTunes library and Spotify. The whole point of radio for me is that it will introduce me to to new songs and bands and surprise me in the way that John Peel's programme did night after night in the late 70s and early 80s.

Radio 6 is fine for a couple of weeks, but then I need to stop listening for a few months otherwise I get bored of hearing the same songs over and over.

I have never been involved in radio in my life, so am probably talking out my a**e, but I always assumed most radio stations have really limited playlists because it is easier for them when recording PRS/royalty dues if it is always one of a few songs rather than having to constantly look up obscure tracks. 

For me commercial stations like Magic, Heart, Kiss FM etc are all the worst as it can literally be a couple of hours before the same songs seem to come back around again.  

17 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

I have never been involved in radio in my life, so am probably talking out my a**e, but I always assumed most radio stations have really limited playlists because it is easier for them when recording PRS/royalty dues if it is always one of a few songs rather than having to constantly look up obscure tracks. 

For me commercial stations like Magic, Heart, Kiss FM etc are all the worst as it can literally be a couple of hours before the same songs seem to come back around again.  

In the past if a station was big enough to supplying a complete track sheet of everything they played to the PRS then there would be people doing this as their job.

These days it's all done automatically through embedded IRSC codes in the CDs and audio files so there's very little additional work to do. 

I really got into 6 music around the start of the Pandemic. Every other station was doom and gloom and 6 music was a sanctuary from the worst of it. I was still working face to face through the whole pandemic so having Lauren Laverne keeping my spirits up was a godsend. She is an excellent breakfast host in my opinion and the music is great for the most part. 

My only criticism is that there are aN awful lot of bands that sound like they formed together roughly three weeks prior with at least one member of each band who had told a few porkies on their CV. There was a band a few months ago playing a live slot (can't remember their name) and they had an absolute nightmare of a performance. Sounded all cool and hip until they had to play and then the guitarist/vocalist got in a complete muddle with her distortion pedal. I don't know if it got fried at the beginning of the performance or something but it just sounded incredibly unprofessional. Never heard anything like it on radio before, felt really sorry for them lol.

I've just heard The Knife - We Share our Mother's Health (a tune that literally the only other place I have heard is in my own DJ mixes) closely followed by Just Because by Jane's Addiction. 

I don't know any other music source that shares my eclectic tastes.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Marky L said:

Still haven't called my Trunk of Punk selection in yet. Regularly get my comments about what selection has just been played read out though :)

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

Yeah - do it. 

I am a fairly regular commentor too - especially on Lamacq's national anthem slot. Managed to get on Keaveny's Small Claims Court once also 🙂

Ok, so we're boasting about our 6 music achievements now are we? Good, here I go ! 🙂

Couple of comment read out: one Lamaqc (or Lammo as we 6'ers call him 😉) , one Tom Robinson.

Won the Marc Riley "Who's on My T-shirt" a few years ago, including an on air chat with Marc. See picture of the shirt ... can you guess who it is? My favourite band is the Fall so it was big moment for me, but a bit embarassing when he asks who my favourite band is.

Got selected for a feature on Tom Ravenscroft where you pick two songs from a particular year, plus a significant object from that year in your life. On air interview included - pre-recorded though. Both the songs I chose where ones I first heard on John Peel, so was dreading making some clumsy comment/reference about his dad.

(Songs were: "Mind you Own Business by Delta 5, and Heidi's Head by Kleenex)

1258320992_whotshirt.thumb.JPG.9385089a62d9d976f29d1bf788d5d8b0.JPG

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Ok, so we're boasting about our 6 music achievements now are we? Good, here I go ! 🙂

Couple of comment read out: one Lamaqc (or Lammo as we 6'ers call him 😉) , one Tom Robinson.

Won the Marc Riley "Who's on My T-shirt" a few years ago, including an on air chat with Marc. See picture of the shirt ... can you guess who it is? My favourite band is the Fall so it was big moment for me, but a bit embarassing when he asks who my favourite band is.

Got selected for a feature on Tom Ravenscroft where you pick two songs from a particular year, plus a significant object from that year in your life. On air interview included - pre-recorded though. Both the songs I chose where ones I first heard on John Peel, so was dreading making some clumsy comment/reference about his dad.

Cool! I won the Iggy Pop one many years ago.

My last band was unexpectedly played on Tom Robinson's show - something that led fairly directly to that band imploding.

Egos are terrible things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Don't leave that hanging!

Aw, it's not so interesting - the whole sorry tale is already recounted here somewhere. 

Suffice to say: singer, delusions of grandeur, writer's block, entire band sacked 🤪 The joy of unexpectedly being played will never leave me though.

I can't complain - the rest of us stuck together and are playing better than ever plus I ended up joining one of my all time favourite bands - sometimes it all works out!

• Thanks 1

Used to listen to 6 Music loads, in it's very early days. Think the listenership was around 100k then! Ended up winning a few prizes and had a long running, sporadic email conversation with Phil Jupitus about the merits of Jellyfish, and power pop in general.

Can't remember why I drifted away from it. Other than Craig Charles, I don't listen to it at all now... maybe time to give it another go!

Afrodeutsche (Henrietta to her mum) is bloody marvellous. 

We're often driving out to weekends away when she's on and she manages to play a great, eclectic selection of stuff.

Old school soul, world music, dance, ambient, folk,  whatever. 

A pleasant, intelligent person to listen to as well, like meeting someone enthusiastic about music with a good record collection. 

Highly recommended. 

• Like 3

On 09/01/2023 at 18:31, Beedster said:

Glorious, just glorious. Why did I wait so long? It brings a joy to our kitchen that has been absent since my family decided that Heart FM was their preferred station about 5-years ago (I know, but some battles are not worth fighting).

And the songs I'm hearing that I'd forgotten, I even heard one of my old bands from 1984 the other day (a reliable sign of quality curation if ever there was one). And the basslines? Seems the editorial policy is defined by the two questions 'Is the artist credible?' and 'Is the bassline creative?' 

Love it. Renewed my faith in the BBC 👍

Good shout Chris! 

I've been a Radio 6 fan for about 10 years now...

Personal favourites are Guy Garvey and Cerys Matthews on Sunday afternoon. Iggy and Tom Robinson are great too. And, when I'm in the mood for some funky music and great bass lines, Craig Charles is always a good listen on Saturday evenings.. 

It's so obvious I think, that no one ever really talks about it, but having really talented musicians /singers curate and present their own radio shows is an absolute no-brainer! 

Give me that any day over the facile, smug, self-serving 'DJs' that have dominated music radio for decades. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

You win!! :D

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I find this with 6. Always take a break and then come back to it. I do have a problem with Mary Anne Hobbs in the mid-morning slot. She don't half play a lot of guff and then insists it was "amazing, breathtaking, exquisite".

6 hours ago, upside downer said:

I find this with 6. Always take a break and then come back to it. I do have a problem with Mary Anne Hobbs in the mid-morning slot. She don't half play a lot of guff and then insists it was "amazing, breathtaking, exquisite".

Yup, MAH is the one presenter I deliberately avoid - between the music she plays and her odd breathy delivery, there isn't much to love.

@Nail Soup - who is it on your shirt? I'd initally assumed it was John Lennon (specs, big nose, surrounded by clouds) but now I'm not so sure. Maybe feed us the original clues...

14 minutes ago, Dankology said:

@Nail Soup - who is it on your shirt? I'd initally assumed it was John Lennon (specs, big nose, surrounded by clouds) but now I'm not so sure. Maybe feed us the original clues...

I can only half-remember one clue... goes something like this: Funnily enough he never played there, just the Isle Of Wight

(NB - that was the clue that made me get it)

4 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

I can only half-remember one clue... goes something like this: Funnily enough he never played there, just the Isle Of Wight

(NB - that was the clue that made me get it)

I'm now thinking it looks more like Noel Redding - but he presumably did play in Reading at some point and wasn't part of Hendrix's IoW band 😐

6 hours ago, upside downer said:

Funnily enough my initial impression of R6 were entirely negative having spent 45mins listening to exactly that, IIRC she was gushing about a viola player who’d recorded a piece of music about the sea while standing on a beach. Sounded like a poor recording of a poorly performed and poorly conceived composition to me, more an undergraduate project than something worthy of national radio. I avoid MAH as the result 👍

More defence of Chris Hawkins: he does appear bland at first, but his gentle style fits the early morning vibe very well, he has a good relationship with his audience, and Names In Songs is excellent.

(Was that what you wanted, Dad?)

Like others, I came to 6 via getting a motor with DAB (so that'll be 2011 and the Mondeo). I tend to dip in and out and avoid any repetition from the playlists, but enjoy the weekend and evening slots particularly. Gideon Coe has accompanied many a drive home from rehearsal.

I miss Shaun Keaveny though...

• Like 1