Why become a member? ×

NBD - 4001C64 replica.

NikNik

On 07/01/2023 at 20:10, Bassassin said:

Even better than the real thing. B|

Not entirely true. I had one built; it’s great, but I still prefer my 2 x ‘72 4001 basses. It’s certainly better than many of the Rics I’ve owned, but it’s certainly not better than all of them. 

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Not entirely true. I had one built; it’s great, but I still prefer my 2 x ‘72 4001 basses. It’s certainly better than many of the Rics I’ve owned, but it’s certainly not better than all of them. 

Given that I owned 7 of them (4001/4003), I'd have to disagree. The only one the came close to this (or vice versa) was the 4001CS I had.

Edited by NikNik

44 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Given that I owned 7 of them (4001/4003), I'd have to disagree. The only one the came close to this (or vice versa) was the 4001CS I had.

I’ve owned well over 20 Rics. I’ve certainly had at least 4 or 5 that were better. My 2 x CSs were way down the pile for me, other than the wonderful looks (and the neck on the ‘91) I didn’t really rate them.

FWIW I was actually just trying to provide a balanced view for anyone considering both. It’s all subjective anyway. 

Its certainly a lovely looking bass though and given that my ‘72s would now be in excess of £5k each it’s an absolute no-brainer if you want a vintage style Ric. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

Yeh, it is a no-brainer.

Ive been on the hunt for a Fireglo 4003S for some time to do a V63/RM1999 replica but I simply refuse to pay the money being asked for 2nd-hand Ricks so when this appeared I was on it like a tramp on chips.

The Fireglo is actually darker than the main photo; this is more like it:-

received_490871686491873.thumb.jpeg.7b8eaffaf77da6e2b28dcd0739b4eb9c.jpeg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, 4000 said:

It looks stunning either way! Of course one bonus is if having one built you can specify things like neck dimensions, pickups etc. 

Since I got it, I haven't gone under the hood yet but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the cap on the rear pup, the tone-sucker. The neck is thinner than my (2nd Gen) V63, somewhat akin to my CS but with slightly square feeling to it, like a '74 I once had. All Hardware is RIC, inc pups.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fleabag said:

If you dont have FB, no one will tell you.

Nobody shouts his details from the rooftops on FB either.

Makes sense as no doubt some deluded little Ric zealot would attempt to gain brownie points from High Command.

HW takes on commission work from a select group.

• Like 1