Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

I've just had fitted the Delano Sonar preamp to my RBX6JM but this was purchased in December. Selling one on Facebook currently which seems to be attracting attention but no actual offers, I don't have space for anything else currently so appear to be GAS Safe for now.

image.png.70faaf120a5d115f0f8271c78a845238.png

Edited by Machines

3 minutes ago, Machines said:

I've just had fitted the Delano Sonar preamp to my RBX6JM but this was purchased in December. Selling one on Facebook currently which seems to be attracting attention but no actual offers, I don't have space for anything else currently so appear to be GAS Safe for now.

image.png.70faaf120a5d115f0f8271c78a845238.png

That’s the kind of statement that will ensure that something will appear that you can’t refuse. Tempt the GAS gods at your peril. ;) 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Machines said:

I think the term for that is "hostage to fortune".

41 minutes ago, ezbass said:

That’s the kind of statement that will ensure that something will appear that you can’t refuse. Tempt the GAS gods at your peril. ;) 

My current situation is everything I have is bloody good. I don't even know what i'd WANT to have that could add to the repertoire in a practical manner, but that doesn't mean I can resist a bargain to tinker with and flip. Temptation has been low in the last few weeks, but that may be more indicative of a quiet market post Xmas.

I still check the usual places a few times a day however.

• Like 3

Thinking again, I probably am in a pickle. Do straps count? I have long delayed the purchase of a wide leather strap. I quite value my back so if they count I may not last long (although who knows how long I can continue to delay that... ). In any case, I'll try to avoid going "oh well, I bought the strap, I may as well buy a bass"😁

1 hour ago, Machines said:

My current situation is everything I have is bloody good. I don't even know what I'd WANT to have that could add to the repertoire in a practical manner, but that doesn't mean I can resist a bargain to tinker with and flip. Temptation has been low in the last few weeks, but that may be more indicative of a quiet market post Xmas.

I still check the usual places a few times a day, however.

See, tempting the GAS gods to make something available that you just can't resist; there lies trouble. Everything I have is of a very high quality too, but then I see a Hardly Bent One that looks so pretty and is, by default, cheap and boom, GAS (no, not that sort)! 

Beware the GAS!

On 02/01/2023 at 16:11, Paul S said:

I'm in.

Got some P bass fettling in the pipline but all the bits and on my desk, waiting.  This could be 'The Year' I make it, I have a good feeling about.

I'm out.  Didn't even make it to the end of the month :D

Had the best of intentions then this 70s Eros EB-3 short scale in honey popped up on eBay.  I am only mortal.

Edit, I had an Antoria one just last year but traded it.  Kind of missed it.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 8

On 01/01/2023 at 09:12, Paolo85 said:

Then two days later GAS was back and for some reason I was thinking that for as much as I love Ps I should also have something more funky, maybe a Stingray copy or a J.

You have got me thinking.

Is the bass funky-sounding (single coil J-bass, steel round wound strings?) - or is the funk from the fingers, the tight timing, and by playing the strings nearer to the bridge?

1 hour ago, bass_dinger said:

You have got me thinking.

Is the bass funky-sounding (single coil J-bass, steel round wound strings?) - or is the funk from the fingers, the tight timing, and by playing the strings nearer to the bridge?

Yes you are totally right. That was GAS talking. In fact, not that many people in the world absolutely need four basses. At my level and for my needs, I could certainly do with one. At the same time, as I mentioned in other occasions, if one goes down this line of thinking Basschat would have no reason to exist, and most of the bass industry would have no reason to exist. Clearly there is something very appealing in the sound of a bass with a pickup a few cm closer to the bridge than the P's 😁

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

I'm out.  Didn't even make it to the end of the month :D

Had the best of intentions then this 70s Eros EB-3 short scale in honey popped up on eBay.  I am only mortal.

Edit, I had an Antoria one just last year but traded it.  Kind of missed it.

s-l1600.jpg

Bowing out with some style I feel. Nice one.

• Like 1

I've failed miserably again.

I've bought a Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen interface to be used as a feeder for my Presonus Quantum 2626 via ADAT, and small mixer duty when the PC is off.

Theoretically I've been told it will do this, but if not I'll send it back. So *could* be back in later

xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CJPJ said:

I’ve spent more money on gear this January that I think I’ve spent in the last two years in total. There’s always next year …..

I'm not far behind you - I've just blown 500 smackeroonies on individual pedals and power supplies to replace my Boss ME-50B multi-FX unit. The ME-50B's great, and it'll likely stay in my practice rig, but it has so many fiddly options that I ended up never using it live. I'm hoping the individual pedals will be much easier and more intuitive on stage.

• Like 2

well as we approach the end of the 1st month of 2023 i can confirm thus far i have purchased NOTHING !! WOOO go me
Helps the band are going down the IEM route now and i already have a pair of KZ10's (think that's what they're called) which i randomly bought a year or so ago as a cool looking pair of headphones lol (yeah i know nubbit) then got a new phone with no headphone socket - so yeah they became useless TILL NOW.

Doesn't look like i'm going to "need" to buy anything this year for the bass
looking promising :)

• Like 3

On 01/01/2023 at 10:53, Simon C said:

Yeah why not.  

Getting rid of the Encore and replacing it with a headless bass leaves a gap on the wall to be filled, but I’ve no real plan for the gap.  Something with a maple fingerboard, but I don’t know what “something” is.  If I get a bonus at work though, this could change.

I’ve no more room on the pedal board and need to start using the looper (Christmas present) for it’s intended purpose of practice (but I did see a very good Ed Sheeran tribute act the other day).

The piano and keyboard have been with me for 20 - 25 years so they won’t be going anywhere or acquiring new mates.

I think the work bonus is the main threat for me.

Simon-C End of Jan report:

I downloaded some free software yesterday (Moises) that allows me to isolate the bassline.  It's done for educational reasons to improve my playing so, even if I go to the paid version, it looks to me as though it's allowable.

Regarding the something with maple fingerboard, I tried a Ray24CA in the Epsom GuitarGuitar.  It looked and sounded great.  It's now gone from the shop - so although they still have the bass elsewhere, the risk has gone for now.  I've also been window shopping on reverb and in this parish but nothing's really exciting me and to be honest I don't really want to be excited (or at least not by something with a maple fingerboard).  I've been exploring the sounds in my Sire V7 fretless - I managed to find Bakithi Kumalo's Washburn in there the other day - so that's helping with GAS avoidance 😜. The work bonus is still the main risk; if I share it (the bonus not the Ray or the V7)with the missus, the "Why have you bought another bass?" question probably won't get aspirated.   

Another risk I have identified is that when I read the manual I found the battery on the bluetooth page turner lasts about 200hours.  So it doesn't really need to be on the board getting power whenever the power supply is plugged in.  So there is room for an envelope filter.  That brings March into focus and a potential birthday present from the kids.

Conclusion: Risks to manage;  fun to be had with what I already have.

• Like 1

Last month was a bit strange for me, after an admirably long time spent GAS-free I found myself really wanting to buy something again but didn't know what.

All the basses on my hitlist are £3k upwards and very definitely out of the question, so I ended up buying a black Epiphone Les Paul Custom for £350 and learning Darkness guitar riffs. Sorry to offend the purists, it took me by surprise as much as anyone but GAS has been well and truly abated for a fraction of the cost of a desirable (to me) bass and it's been a blast.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mowf said:

I found myself really wanting to buy something again but didn't know what.

This has never happened to me. Ever. 😬

And its not happening now, held in check by the through of failing the Gear Abstinence pledge I made only 1 month ago.

Nope.

Not at all.

• Haha 2