Why become a member? ×

2023 Gear Abstinence Thread

jimmyb625

2 hours ago, Maude said:

Well this is embarrassing... I'm out! 😳

But how did it happen so quickly!?

Shops are shut, and you only had an hour between committing to abstaining, and announcing that you were out...

That must have been some special bass - or a saved eBay search that came good.

2 hours ago, miles'tone said:

It's practically in the post then 😄

I don't want to be an enabler (honest!) but maybe your band mates are right.

Although I too manly play a 4, I wouldn't be without a 5 for those magic moments when a 5er is just so right for the music. 

In the past I played a 5 string as my main bass for a couple of years but it wasn't for me.

I have an inexpensive Harley Benton 5er now for said magic moments. 

"Magic moments" = when you really really need to use the B string to rest your thumb on? Just askin' for a friend (he's a fan of bass apparently).

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

But how did it happen so quickly!?

Shops are shut, and you only had an hour between committing to abstaining, and announcing that you were out...

That must have been some special bass - or a saved eBay search that came good.

I literally posted "I'm in", closed BC and opened Facebook and it was staring at me. Slightly tatty, but local and half the price it should be. I love a Dano bass so thought I'll add it to the project pile. 

In my defence I've just packaged up the more expensive Ashdown bass to go back, so I'm already winning... aren't I? 😁

• Like 1

Just now, Maude said:

I literally posted "I'm in", closed BC and opened Facebook and it was staring at me. Slightly tatty, but local and half the price it should be. I love a Dano bass so thought I'll add it to the project pile. 

In my defence I've just packaged up the more expensive Ashdown bass to go back, so I'm already winning... aren't I? 😁

Ahh, it's good you're out: used Yamaha bass prices would collapse otherwise, particularly since Andy T has gone all "sensible"...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I'm in.

As long as maintenance doesn't count?

I'm planning on replacing the tuning rollers on a headless bass bridge, as they are a bit stiff, and I need a locking nut replaced on another bass.

I can’t imagine maintenance would not be allowed , surely it’s like getting strings or other replacement parts 

• Thanks 1

@Paul S

I still get that childlike wonder when I plug one in.

Here's this bass that, let's face it, feels and looks like a toy, then you plug it in and WOW, that tone. 

It'll go from dark and thumpy to very Bruce Foxton-esque clank easily, but wherever you have the controls it's got clarity. 

I don't even think I'm going to do much to it, a good clean and polish and wear those battle scars with pride. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I can’t imagine maintenance would not be allowed , surely it’s like getting strings or other replacement parts 

I think like for like replacement of defective parts is OK.  An "upgrade" through the back door using this method might be on dubious ground though.

As much as my Fav link to get me too Bass Chat opens up the market place (this might end badly)
Count me in this year 
i have a setup being done on my BB bass this month but other than that i'm good for the year 

16 hours ago, binky_bass said:

I might stand a chance this year...

Our first child is due in 3 weeks so I probably shouldn't be buying any more basses/amps anyway!

Nothing says ‘new baby’ like a new bass. Its a celebration and an investment in your legacy and their inheritance. I’d go big to be honest. 

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Our first child is due in 3 weeks so I probably shouldn't be buying any more basses/amps anyway!

That Simon and Patrick guitar is still here, Russ.  If it is a boy, you know what to call him :) 

• Haha 1

Count me in too.

Bought too much last year (again), though sold much of it to buy something else.

I would make an exception for an Ibanez SRF700, but as I'm liable to be playing acoustic in the dark with our energy bills next year, it's unlikely.

Edited by 2pods

On 02/01/2023 at 16:35, bassfan said:

I’m in. I don’t want or need anything although the band are telling me I should get a 5 string 🤷🏻‍♂️

Everybody should have a 5-string, if only so I can decide whether to buy it or not when the purchaser decides that five strings wasn't for them/Jaco didn't need five strings.

22 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Totally the wrong way of looking at it. In reality you have 3 weeks to fill your boots with everything you may want for the next few years. You're better off bailing out this year but should be a good bet for 2024's event.

2 hours ago, 2pods said:

I would make an exception for an Ibanez SRF700, but as I'm liable to playing acoustic in the dark with our energy bills next year, it's unlikely.

Last January, I said I'd make an exception for an Ibanez SRF705, and last March I got one ridiculously cheap, so let's see if history will repeat itself.

• Thanks 1

Luckily my new Sterling SUB HH4 arrived on 30th December (good old Gear4Music) and was gigged on 31st, so I’m in, and there’s no excuse for any new bass or saxophone gear in ‘23 for me! Well, not right at this moment...

On 02/01/2023 at 20:22, binky_bass said:

When our first daughter was born, I bought my partner an expensive watch and in return, she bought me a 5 string Bongo.

The message behind this story, is that it's the last time you'll see any money for the next 15 years (and counting)!