Why become a member? ×

This Royal Mail strike is really something....

lidl e

I don't want to fall out with anybody on this forum. 

It is a forum and I would hope that we can forumize to heartz content😀

You did post this though.....

"If the RM workers think that they are undervalued then they could go and work for someone else who will pay more**. Much easier than striking."

To be fair my friend....

How does that come across ? 

2 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

I don't want to fall out with anybody on this forum. 

It is a forum and I would hope that we can forumize to heartz content😀

You did post this though.....

"If the RM workers think that they are undervalued then they could go and work for someone else who will pay more**. Much easier than striking."

To be fair my friend....

How does that come across ? 

But I also added the note on the ** that "Therein lies the problem" or similar. The crucial point being that there isn't anyone paying more in that business.

"But I also added the note on the ** that "Therein lies the problem" or similar. The crucial point being that there isn't anyone paying more in that business."

Can you not see that is a ridiculous circuitous argument ?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the point.

3 minutes ago, blisters on my fingers said:

"But I also added the note on the ** that "Therein lies the problem" or similar. The crucial point being that there isn't anyone paying more in that business."

Can you not see that is a ridiculous circuitous argument ?

Apologies in advance if I'm missing the point.

It probably is going round in circles. The problem is probably the lack of subtlety in the typed word. 5 minutes over a pint and we'd probably be in full agreement.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Have you had a dispatch note or email yet ?

Yes.

The one place tracking has been sitting at "we are expecting package" even though seller says they handed it over weeks ago.

On the other, no tracking as it is just a few patch cables in the post but they sent an email saying it was shipped weeks ago.

8 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

It probably is going round in circles. The problem is probably the lack of subtlety in the typed word. 5 minutes over a pint and we'd probably be in full agreement.

I think this is spot on, the written word doesn`t convey tone of voice, facial expression, how a point is being stated. 

I had all my important documents posted through the letter box days after actual appointment dates. This did not help, but luckily the sender's/ originator's common sense prevailed due to postal strikes and phoned me regarding appointmens. If they hadn't it would have had a massive impact on my life.

Parcelforce...I have called them several times constructively ranting about their lies of claiming they attempted to deliver when they did not. 

• Like 1

classic conundrum, Royal Mail under pressure from cheaper competitors (capitalism at work), understandable the workers want an pay rise, which the management thinks will make them uncompetitive.

Not all workers are feckless layabouts, not all management are incompetent idiots, but some are

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

classic conundrum, Royal Mail under pressure from cheaper competitors (capitalism at work), understandable the workers want an pay rise, which the management thinks will make them uncompetitive.

Not all workers are feckless layabouts, not all management are incompetent idiots, but some are

Add into this “historic brand that was sold off cheaply to shareholders who made a huge profit and are now running the institution into the ground”

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Add into this “historic brand that was sold off cheaply to shareholders who made a huge profit and are now running the institution into the ground”

I'm not sure what  that has to do with the current problems unless it was kept as a monopoly.

Opinions vary as to how it cheaply it was sold off by anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/dec/18/royal-mail-sell-off-undervalued-firm-180-million

A comment on the Grauniad site from 2014..................

The Royal Mail has to compete with companies that operate with nowhere near the contractual obligations that RM have. It's set up to fail.

Similarly, an NHS general hospital - which has to provide A&E and all sorts of other expensive services - is supposed to compete with a private facility that can do cheap routine operations on uncomplicated patients (and then rely on the NHS hospital fixing it if it does go wrong).

Edited by blisters on my fingers
not enough dots
  • Like 3

On 23/12/2022 at 08:15, Lozz196 said:

I think this is spot on, the written word doesn`t convey tone of voice, facial expression, how a point is being stated. 

It never did though did it?

Isn't that the whole point of the written word?

Convey your point, don't be ambiguous.

Try not to be sarcastic 😀 

Merry Christmas 

Edited by blisters on my fingers
!

Royal mail is incompetent, mail is either not delivered on time, or we get next door neighbour's mail, which I diligently slip through their letter box. I wonder how much of our mail was delivered through someone else's letter box, and was then diligently binned. And the amount of leaflets they put through....I must say our new postie is very polite 

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

RM are contracted to put those leaflets/tramp's toilet paper through your letter box.

Blame the muppets who want you to buy their ' see through chastity briefs ' and whatnot

I'm aware of that, but it's purely nuisance 

On 23/12/2022 at 09:38, PaulWarning said:

If they didnt pay huge salaries and bonusus to senior management, and give big payouts to investors they may have had an argument. But its not just about pay, they want to change working practices and pensions to workers. The media fails to give the full story. 

• Like 3