Why become a member? ×

What is the most you'd personally pay for a new bass?

lidl e

Personally, i stick to the 12-1500 quid mark tops, but i think up to £2295/€2500 is reasonable for a high end bass that is special and different. 

There is nothing above that price point that appeals to me really. Anything above that and you're paying for superfluous details.

I'm not big on exotic woods, i like a painted finish.

I think any fender clone over 2 grand is mental. 

This thread is inspired by a bass I'm building. I honestly feel using a higher end body and neck from warmoth or guitarbuild and good hardware you can build a bass as nice as sadowsky, lull or any of the other clones. It's all cnc anyways. Im budgeting around 11-1300 and it will be a monster.

A good example of a bass worth the money would be something like this:

https://www.wilcocklondon.com/the-mullarkey

Different, interesting,  high end hardware and a small mainly one man operation.  

I love that bass! 

Edited by lidl e
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I think around the £1500 mark is the most, however in the main as I like Precisions and they’re not exactly rare in general I prefer to buy used.

Yeah, i will always try and buy used as well. The reason i went with new was becaue used prices can get crazy.

Nowadays for a P, ill build myself. 

I had a Zon Hyperbass for a while. I bought it used, but it was still significantly more than that.

IIRC they are about 7 grand new.

These days I’m very happy with my Sandbergs, but I do have a hankering to get another Marleaux one day. Probably pushing 4K these days for the spec I’d have. But worth it. Amazing workmanship.

Now I’m paying for kids at university the chances are very slim!

• Like 1

I've spent over a grand on new USA made Fenders in the past.

The two basses I've played the most this year are my first gen Sire V7 fretless which I think was around £3-400 new and the new Squire Bass VI I got a couple of weeks ago for around £450.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, NickA said:

Why buy new?  2nd hand is cheaper and you get to try it out before you pay for it.

Spent £4k on a 2nd hand bass once though ... but it's actually worth more now, so doesn't count ;¬)

Get exactly what you want, i suppose. Ive only bought a handful new. The rest are used or built  

Edited by lidl e

18 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Under £600. I don't see any good reason to go above that to get the best quality available which ticks all the boxes. Not interested in paying for brand names.

Hell, you could get 2 or 3 HBs for that.

I have a ridiculous mental block on lower end gear. And i know im not the only one!

I'd own a squier or HB guitar i suppose, but not a bass.

I think I'm not alone that when disposable income is available it will soon become a bass or bass related. 

I've owned Wals, Status, GBs, Ritter and Jaydees ...Great basses all, loved them all but I'm scared to take them out.  Any knock can depreciate them by hundreds of pounds. 

Balance use against value, but enjoy playing them rather than keeping them safe.

• Like 4

An EGC2000 is about $3k plus shipping and taxes, so I'd pay that if I could justify it.

But I can't. Plus, the mid lower end of the market offers so much quality and value nowadays that I don't know if I'd pay more than £700 (and there's loads of really great basses under that).

• Like 2

Generally a few hundred pounds, but I did buy one once for £1600, so I guess that.

I did buy one for £2000, but that wasn't new. I can't imagine buying anything new at that sort of price - it would presumably have to be something custom as anything off the shelf could probably be got second hand.

9 minutes ago, MrDinsdale said:

Anything over £1k makes me wince. I’ve never spent that much but if I did I’d be wanting a custom build from Alpher Instruments I think.

never seen those.  That MakoV2 Gold is very nice

• Like 1

We should be thankful that £10k would probably buy us the best featured, most luxurious, most beautiful electric bass guitar on the planet. If we were into supercars, luxury Swiss watches or superbikes etc, £10k wouldn't get us entry to the showrooms. We only pass this way once so if you're passion is playing bass and all things bass, £1k seems rather limiting, but if it gets you exactly what you want then that's perfect too. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Like 4