Why become a member? ×

Things I'd like manufacturers to do...

la bam

35 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Provide info about what strings are fitted to a new instrument, to give the option to replace them with the same.

Ibanez do that for at least some of their basses on the published specs. 

5 minutes ago, neepheid said:

G&L USA do that for you on your wee certificate.

What's on my wee certificate is confidential between me and my GP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, gjones said:

Fender should change the knobs on their Jazzes to volume, blend, tone.

The historical arrangement of volume, volume, tone irritates me.

Me too.

Having to turn both volumes down to turn the bass off can be a right PITA.

Oddly enough i mostly keep the pan centred except when mucking around at home and with my Jazz i have both volumes full.

I'm never happy with the tone if the pan is moved off centre or i reduce one volume on my jazz.

I have one exception to that which is my Overwater custom fretless where the pan seems more controllable and gives a more refined change over between pick ups. With my other basses i find the tone changes too much towards the pick up its moved to and i get either a more P tone or a more rear Jazz pick up tone so i just leave it centred and adjust tone controls to get what i like.

Dave

PS i'd be happier with just one volume and one tone. 

Edited by dmccombe7

I'd like all effects pedal manufacturers to standardise on input, output and power socket positions. It would make it much easier to wire boards neatly. 

What would be really nice is a wire free design with pedals clip on to the board with all connections integrated. 

• Like 3

On 19/11/2022 at 12:45, la bam said:

How about a newer universal rack size now theres so much class d amps out there? 

And yes, then follow it up with mandatory rack ears.

Also then new rack tuners, sansamps, preamps and fx in the new rack standard size - instead of 19".

You can already get 1/2 rack cases - lots of pro radio mic receivers, IEM transmitters etc are half rack width (for mounting two side by side) and the cases are pretty widely available. Just manufacturers not bothering to look if an existing standard would have done the job!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mike257 said:

You can already get 1/2 rack cases - lots of pro radio mic receivers, IEM transmitters etc are half rack width (for mounting two side by side) and the cases are pretty widely available. Just manufacturers not bothering to look if an existing standard would have done the job!

Yeh, the problem is though they dont do rack ears for half rack sizes per class d amp etc, otherwise thatd be great, and there doesnt seem to be a universal width for the current class d amps.

A small half rack (ish) prewired case with x2 class d amps, a tuner, sansamp and rack plug sockets, all weighing around 10kg would be lovely...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I'd like all effects pedal manufacturers to standardise on input, output and power socket positions.

Even so that if the sockets are on the side, input is higher and output lower. There would be more space to flat plugs when FX are attached side by side.

out-dFXP\dFXP\dFXP-in

• Like 2

20 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

What would be really nice is a wire free design with pedals clip on to the board with all connections integrated. 

There have been some attempts, but I don't think anyone's willing to lock themselves into a system that might limit their options. And I can't see that there's any incentive for existing pedal manufacturers to adopt someone else's format until there's mass adoption.

It'd be nice to think that an alliance of small-to-medium indie pedal builders could all agree that jacks-on-top was the new standard, and then the big boys would recognise the demand and follow suit.

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

There have been some attempts, but I don't think anyone's willing to lock themselves into a system that might limit their options. And I can't see that there's any incentive for existing pedal manufacturers to adopt someone else's format until there's mass adoption.

It'd be nice to think that an alliance of small-to-medium indie pedal builders could all agree that jacks-on-top was the new standard, and then the big boys would recognise the demand and follow suit.

I would also question these examples as genuine "universal" solutions. it might work for some, but I'm quite sure not for everybody (hence why it shouldn't be a standard).
A lot of people do prefer having pedals far from each other for various reasons (eg avoid stomping on 2 pedals at the same time, to control pedals with both feet, etc.).
Not always easy and cheap, but there are solutions that allow to hide pedals and have a multi-pedal/router/matrix to control them all.
I'm not trying to say that is neither a standard nor the perfect solution, but it's a solution.

Edited by mario_buoninfante

Alembic used NE5534 opamps, and as they are power hungry (lo Z & hi perf, anyone?), they decided to use an XLR5 connector and an external PSU to drive the preamp.

Vigier had Nautilus system and an external PSU.

EBS' "phantom" power uses stereo plug cable where the ring connector is for 9VDC supply.

How about:

Guitorgan (1964, with split frets!)

Vox V251 Guitar Organ (1966)

Ampeg & Hagström Patch 2000 (1976)

Probably these had external PSUs, too, I do not surely know.

But while there have been trials since 1960's, we continue with 9 V battery powered preamps. Although they are built around less and less power consuming opamps.

1 hour ago, mario_buoninfante said:

Never had or tried basses that use an external PSU but, considering I always feel bad when I think how many batteries we all use for our active basses, I really like the NS Design solution for their NXTa RADIUS Bass where they use a super capacitor you can charge in few seconds and it lasts for 16h!

Tell me more..

Or provide a link

2 hours ago, mario_buoninfante said:

...considering I always feel bad when I think how many batteries we all use for our active basses...

You say we are bass players, and we are all here?

No 9 V batteries were harmed during this writing process.

• Haha 2

All string manufacturers publish on your website the string tensions of the individual string and the set total and use the same units or both American and metric and agree on standard conversion figures from one to the other

It would make it sooooo much easier to find comparable strings/string sets

Especially important when a set of strings is £50+

Failing to publish the data to me means you are either lazy, don't care about your customers, don't acknowledge customer intelligence or that your strings are just whatever came off the machine that day depending on who was minding the machine or what the supply chain sent you in terms of materials and you don't actually know or care what you are making

• Like 3

On 21/11/2022 at 20:04, itu said:

Even so that if the sockets are on the side, input is higher and output lower. There would be more space to flat plugs when FX are attached side by side.

out-dFXP\dFXP\dFXP-in

If they were exactly the same height, you'd just need a solid male-male thingie to connect them. See an Ann Summers catalogue for examples. Or, indeed, Ebay:

image.png.31855120a9c10f7fd755837a2bfea80e.png