Why become a member? ×

Moon MBC-6 6 string bass custom order 【Stolen But found in Cash Generator Leicester now】
£1350
Cardiff

ymdtzx

21 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Stuff like this makes me so mad. Suppose they won’t care if they find out it’s stolen… probably half their shop is full of moody gear.

14 minutes ago, spacecowboy said:

Stuff like this makes me so mad. Suppose they won’t care if they find out it’s stolen… probably half their shop is full of moody gear.

As I said, once they've been told they almost certainly won't sell it because they would leave themselves open to being nicked themselves.  The thing is to get in quick and tell them.

The wording of the offence is pretty cut and dried - I've italicised the important bits:

'A person handles stolen goods if (otherwise than in the course of the stealing) knowing or believing them to be stolen goods he dishonestly receives the goods, or dishonestly undertakes or assists in their retention, removal, disposal or realisation by or for the benefit of another person, or if he arranges to do so'

When you tell the shop, they then know or believe the bass to be stolen and that's that.  pawn shops take hooky gear all the time and don't care.  But once they are told it is hooky gear it is another matter - they back off.  It isn't in their interests.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Paul S said:

As I said, once they've been told they almost certainly won't sell it because they would leave themselves open to being nicked themselves.  The thing is to get in quick and tell them.

The wording of the offence is pretty cut and dried - I've italicised the important bits:

'A person handles stolen goods if (otherwise than in the course of the stealing) knowing or believing them to be stolen goods he dishonestly receives the goods, or dishonestly undertakes or assists in their retention, removal, disposal or realisation by or for the benefit of another person, or if he arranges to do so'

When you tell the shop, they then know or believe the bass to be stolen and that's that.  pawn shops take hooky gear all the time and don't care.  But once they are told it is hooky gear it is another matter - they back off.  It isn't in their interests.

Excellent! I presume @ymdtzx has a police case number / reference to quote them? 🤞

• ymdtzx changed the title to Moon MBC-6 6 string bass custom order 【Stolen But found in Cash Generator Leicester now】
2 hours ago, ymdtzx said:

The case is close, I doubt that I need report it again

Contact the shop, giving them the case number you have, closed or not, and make them aware that you are the rightful owner. Contact the Police, giving them the closed case number too, and explain that the stolen bass has turned up; give them the shop's details, and ask them to call them. Be quick about it; there's a chance it'll all work out, but you need to act, and act now. Report back here with results, please..?

• Like 3

Basically, now you have asserted you are the legal owner of the bass, as a matter of civil law, Cash Generator can’t legally sell it and give good title to any purchaser.

You need to be clear with them that they need to hold on to it, and that if they do sell it, or try to deny your title (I.E. your right of ownership) you will sue them for conversion (essentially the civil name for handling stolen goods).

Make sure you give them full details of how it was stolen from you so they can’t try to say that they were unaware it was stolen. 

I would also notify the police and, if you can afford it, speak to a solicitor about how best to recover it. 

On 15/11/2022 at 02:41, ymdtzx said:

I'm sorry, I'm an international student so it's also possible that my understanding of "Check" is wrong, I thought you just wanted to look at the bass and then see if you were interested. if I understand correctly now, should the correct meaning of "Check" be "Hold"? It's my own fault anyway.

No - your understanding of “check” is correct (but “check” can also mean hold/stop/wait as in chess; “check mate”) English is very confusing - I’m IELTS grade 9 and I’m certain it’s the most ambiguous, contextual language I’ve ever seen - I pity learners of it 

edit - I spoke to a Ukrainian refugee lady last week at an open mic night. She was very apologetic about her command of English but she could use definite and indefinite article and numerous tenses, from speaking a native language with no usage of the first two. She didn’t believe how advanced she actually was. I’ve seen native English speakers who can muster less. @ymdtzxstop knocking yourself down for lack of fluency, you’re doing just fine 

Edited by Geek99

14 hours ago, Paul S said:

As a law graduate, I agree

14 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Contact the shop, giving them the case number you have, closed or not, and make them aware that you are the rightful owner. Contact the Police, giving them the closed case number too, and explain that the stolen bass has turned up; give them the shop's details, and ask them to call them. Be quick about it; there's a chance it'll all work out, but you need to act, and act now. Report back here with results, please..?

this ^

• Like 2

Ring the shop and get it taken off sale. They'll hold it until the police go and seize it and it can then be returned to you. 

I used to be on very good terms with the Cash Converters on my old beat. There were never any issues seizing stolen goods but they wouldn't return anything reported as stolen without my permission (I guess that was company policy). If it was bulky stuff I could arrange for the owner to collect it from them despite it technically being seized. They were always good with the CCTV of the dodgy gear being traded in, they could pull up their invoice and find the footage from the time on their record, and they'd always give a statement to ID the 'seller'. 

Despite their poor reputation they helped me to get thousands of pounds worth of nicked gear back to the rightful owners. 

• Like 7

I also had a stolen bass turn up in Cash Generator - despite the branch having a description and the serial number number before purchasing it. 

The cop handling the case said they'd need to be able to prove the people who completed the purchase and put it up for sale were the ones who had spoken to me in-store and took the details in the Facebook messenger follow-up. It was a non-starter!

I'd suggested that even without this, it was really easy to check if it was stolen - pop the serial number in to Google and you'd see it all over social media. It's not part of their policy to do this, so they don't.

It's got me thinking that there should be some kind of central hot-goods list that companies buying and selling used gear would have to check before buying something? 

George

im not saying do this, but with the info you have submitted and the shop can check on line the the clame is gen, if it was my bass i would walk into the shop, show id leave my name and address with proof and take the bass and walk out, if they try and stop you tell them to ring the police but your not leaving with out the bass, at worst the police would have to take the bass or at least an incedent report will have to be made then at least they wont be able to sell the bass, but i would walk out the shop with it and ask them to call the police if wanted at least its in your possesion then, thats only what i would do, i would not be able to stop myself doing just that being so anoyed !, im not sure of the repercussions of that but i would just not care.

loads more bad advice on request 🙂

Edited by funkgod
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Just clicked on the eBay link and it’s ended, have they withdrawn it or has it been sold 

hopefully they are doing the right thing and sorting out returning it 

They responded to my message this morning saying they are discussing the matter with the owner. Hopefully this means @ymdtzx has got in touch with the shop and not that the shop have got in touch with the person/thief that sold it to them...

Let's hope @ymdtzx responds to this thread soon with positive news. 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, funkgod said:

im not saying do this, but with the info you have submitted and the shop can check on line the the clame is gen, if it was my bass i would walk into the shop, show id leave my name and address with proof and take the bass and walk out, if they try and stop you tell them to ring the police but your not leaving with out the bass, at worst the police would have to take the bass or at least an incedent report will have to be made then at least they wont be able to sell the bass, but i would walk out the shop with it and ask them to call the police if wanted at least its in your possesion then, thats only what i would do, i would not be able to stop myself doing just that being so anoyed !, im not sure of the repercussions of that but i would just not care.

When my bass turned up, they were clear they would only hand it over to the police, and not me personally. This was over the phone though. Their point was, that even with a crime reference number, they only had my word for it.

However, I guess there'd be very little they could do if you did walk out with something that was stolen from you. It's 100% legally yours - you can't steal your own property!

Thank you all so much for your interest in this matter, you have made me feel the warmth and human touch of this community!

I have now contacted the shop and the shop is willing to withhold the sale of bass for the time being until the police have completed their investigation.

As for the police, a officer asked me to report to the national fraud and cyber crime unit and re contacted him again, which I already done. I hope to be contacted by the police again in the near future.

Thanks again for all your help and I hope we can get a good result!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1