Why become a member? ×

Pump it up, Elvis Costello

police squad

My wife is off to try out (on the bass) a new band next week.

She's already got the set list and Pump it up is on it.

What great bass playing on this song, I'm sitting in my office trying to learn it (I keep a Precision Lyte in my office)

She's going to really enjoy playing this one. She's not gigged for nearly 6 years now

• Like 11

Used to play Pump It Up in a band I was in, so much fun. I even got to play it on one of Bruce Thomas' basses that I bought (he didn't like it as much as his salmon pink one), which was weird and wonderful at the same time.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I wonder how many people play the bass line as recorded vs. picking the easiest variation of that line in the chorus and repeat it?

I know which bit you mean and I used to play as per the recording, but these days, I find myself repeating the tougher fill and forgetting the easier pentatonic run down. Not showing off, after all it's just for me, but I think it sounds better, although I am trying to ease the other riff in occasionally just so it's there if I need it.

• Like 1

I love this line, it's a lot of fun to play and has some nice little fills in it. When I first learnt it I got all of the little fills down (I think?!) but just add in which ever I fancy playing and don't stick to the recorded version. 

There are some great lessons and covers on YouTube to help you and your wife out when it comes to learning it. Troy nails it here 😃 (as ever)

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Used to play Pump It Up in a band I was in, so much fun. I even got to play it on one of Bruce Thomas' basses that I bought (he didn't like it as much as his salmon pink one), which was weird and wonderful at the same time.

Jealous!

3 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Jealous!

It was quite the bass but, ultimately, I started to worry about it (which is a nonsense as it was road worn within an inch of its life) and not take it out any more, which was dumb. It was really lightweight but, because of that, had a tendency to neck dive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

I love this line, it's a lot of fun to play and has some nice little fills in it. When I first learnt it I got all of the little fills down (I think?!) but just add in which ever I fancy playing and don't stick to the recorded version. 

There are some great lessons and covers on YouTube to help you and your wife out when it comes to learning it. Troy nails it here 😃 (as ever)

LOVE THIS!!! Awesome!!!

S'manth x

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I had never really clocked the line as such. Cracking. That bloke's wall is making me feel uncomfortable though.

42 minutes ago, Owen said:

I had never really clocked the line as such. Cracking. That bloke's wall is making me feel uncomfortable though.

If you read his blurb about the vid he says something about Bruce Thomas contacting him and saying he's one of the only people he's seen to nail all the fills. Bruce Thomas even posted this vid on his own site in a hall of fame!

I love his background! I guess you're not into horror, but he has a few other vids going through his horror collectables and his Halloween decorations. Great stuff!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, clarkpegasus4001 said:

If you are on Facebook, type in Tony Clark Pump It Up and you should find a video of me playing that song. Bruce Thomas is a great bass player imo. I've done one or two Elvis Costello covers on Facebook. Best of luck with the learning process and to your wife's project. 

Well done, Sir. That's the tone, right there!

https://www.facebook.com/clarkpegasus/videos/1641659539516118

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Well done, Sir. That's the tone, right there!

https://www.facebook.com/clarkpegasus/videos/1641659539516118

Thank you so much. As with all my Facebook videos (apart from the last few), that was played through an old Yamaha guitar combo (not bass), which was sat on top of my bass cabs and played at stupid low volume. 

Edited by clarkpegasus4001
  • Like 1