Why become a member? ×

New Cab Day-LFSys Silverstone

Chienmortbb

I have had the cab for about two weeks, but was asked to keep quiet until the official launch at the South West Bass Bash.

The cab is from Low Frequency Systems, the Silverstone, website https://LFSys.co.uk

image.thumb.png.644a21ef853a3188bb111b4237047877.png

Low Frequency Systems is the new company set up by @stevie of this parish, and the Silverstone is a development of the Basschat BC112 MK3 that many of us built. Make no mistake, this is a significant improvement. So what is the difference? I could talk about the technical stuff, but I am sure others would do a far better job than me. So I will just write my impressions of the cabinet and field any questions I can.

Firstly, the aesthetics of the cabinet are unique. The coloured baffle (British Racing Green) Seems to be an homage to a well known Dutch maker. However, that is where the similarity to any other cabinet ends. You can see the development from the original BC112 MK3. It is the same size and retains the large round handle at the top. The punched steel grille is fairly transparent, allowing a good view of the port, the horn and the 12” driver. The other five sides of the cabinet are beautifully finished in a unique shade of grey. I believe that was one of the hardest design choices, there being 49 other shades to choose from. We all know that looks are not everything, but then they are a major factor in any purchase.

On to how it performs. Here I have to declare an interest, @stevie is a friend, I have had access to early versions of the Silverstone and have gigged the BC112 MK3 that I built for a good few years now. Like the BC112 MK3, the Silverstone is Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) so the tonal balance is very good, no lumps and bumps, peaks & troughs. Despite the fact that there is a high frequency driver, the usual fizz and tizz from a cheap Piezo is missing. As with its forebear, the horn that handles the high frequencies is mounted vertically, and the result is that the mid and treble frequencies are projected towards your ears, no need to tilt the cabinet. The horn has a wide angle in both directions, meaning that your bandmates will hear you clearly.

My first outing with the cab was strange, we set up as normal, and I was too loud. So I adjusted the volume and was all set. However, when the singer went to the front of house during sound check, he could not hear me and asked me to turn up. The result was a good onstage sound and a happy band. I use mine with a Zoom b1Four and this is ideal for use with a Helix or other modelling multi-effects unit.

There are lighter cabs out there, it was designed with sound as the number one priority and quality neodymium drivers are not feather-light, but it is an easy one hand lift for a 70-year-old. It is still a lightweight cabinet, though. The handle is big and comfortable, meaning you can carry it without bashing your leg. The protective cabinet corners are stackable in case you want to use two, although most people would be happy with just one.

Now I have to start saving as there will be a 10" in the New Year.

Glad to answer any questions.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I have had the cab for about two weeks, but was asked to keep quiet until the official launch at the South West Bass Bash.

The cab is from Low Frequency Systems, the Silverstone, website https://LFSys.co.uk

image.thumb.png.644a21ef853a3188bb111b4237047877.png

Low Frequency Systems is the new company set up by @stevie of this parish, and the Silverstone is a development of the Basschat BC112 MK3 that many of us built. Make no mistake, this is a significant improvement. So what is the difference? I could talk about the technical stuff, but I am sure others would do a far better job than me. So I will just write my impressions of the cabinet and field any questions I can.

Firstly, the aesthetics of the cabinet are unique. The coloured baffle (British Racing Green) Seems to be an homage to a well known Dutch maker. However, that is where the similarity to any other cabinet ends. You can see the development from the original BC112 MK3. It is the same size and retains the large round handle at the top. The punched steel grille is fairly transparent, allowing a good view of the port, the horn and the 12” driver. The other five sides of the cabinet are beautifully finished in a unique shade of grey. I believe that was one of the hardest design choices, there being 49 other shades to choose from. We all know that looks are not everything, but then they are a major factor in any purchase.

On to how it performs. Here I have to declare an interest, @stevie is a friend, I have had access to early versions of the Silverstone and have gigged the BC112 MK3 that I built for a good few years now. Like the BC112 MK3, the Silverstone is Full Range Flat Response (FRFR) so the tonal balance is very good, no lumps and bumps, peaks & troughs. Despite the fact that there is a high frequency driver, the usual fizz and tizz from a cheap Piezo is missing. As with its forebear, the horn that handles the high frequencies is mounted vertically, and the result is that the mid and treble frequencies are projected towards your ears, no need to tilt the cabinet. The horn has a wide angle in both directions, meaning that your bandmates will hear you clearly.

My first outing with the cab was strange, we set up as normal, and I was too loud. So I adjusted the volume and was all set. However, when the singer went to the front of house during sound check, he could not hear me and asked me to turn up. The result was a good onstage sound and a happy band. I use mine with a Zoom b1Four and this is ideal for use with a Helix or other modelling multi-effects unit.

There are lighter cabs out there, it was designed with sound as the number one priority and quality neodymium drivers are not feather-light, but it is an easy one hand lift for a 70-year-old. It is still a lightweight cabinet, though. The handle is big and comfortable, meaning you can carry it without bashing your leg. The protective cabinet corners are stackable in case you want to use two, although most people would be happy with just one.

Now I have to start saving as there will be a 10" in the New Year.

Glad to answer any questions.

Great review. 

As you were involved in the development do you receive a commission on each sale ?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nekomatic said:

Wow, best of luck to @stevie with this venture! Will be interesting to see how it fares as a commercial product, how it reviews not 'for a DIY project' but on a level playing field with the big names. Which I am sure it will hold up very well to.

1 minute ago, bartelby said:

What was the competition?

I ran the shootout at the SW Bass Bash. Also included were the Barefaced BB2, GR bass 2x12 and an RCF745. It wasn't a scientific double blind test but to make it a fair test I ran all but the RCF off identical PA amps tone controls flat and tried to adjust the volumes to be equal. I deliberately didn't say anything about the speakers so as not to influence the comments. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I ran the shootout at the SW Bass Bash. Also included were the Barefaced BB2, GR bass 2x12 and an RCF745. It wasn't a scientific double blind test but to make it a fair test I ran all but the RCF off identical PA amps tone controls flat and tried to adjust the volumes to be equal. I deliberately didn't say anything about the speakers so as not to influence the comments. 

DSC_0457.JPG.9d6e36662bb1b6f8c3042e71c7b

23 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Great review. 

As you were involved in the development do you receive a commission on each sale ?

I think @Phil Starr answered that question. Even if he were to receive a commission, it wouldn't make him rich. This is a labour of love rather than a get-rich-quick venture. It will remain a small business - with an exclusive clientele. 😊

@Chienmortbb was indeed involved in the development of these speakers, acting as a beta tester for the various versions and providing valuable feedback on what he liked and didn't like. Phil also gigged different versions of the Silverstone and made suggestions for improvements that I was happy to incorporate. The three of us have chatted and swapped ideas about speaker design for a good few years now, and because we live relatively close to each other, occasionally get together to audition (and measure) the designs we've developed.

There are other Basschatters who have encouraged me and helped me get this far, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank them here. @LukeFRCcontributed his graphics expertise to the project. He's responsible for the cool logo and the colour and text stylings of the website. He also designed the stickers and badges for the cabs, which I'd never have been able to do myself. @RichardH helped greatly by providing technical drawings and getting my crossovers into the CAD program for the PCB manufacturer. @Chimike saved the day back in the BCIII days by sorting out the CAD drawings for the kit-cab build and generously worked on the drawings for my new 10" cab - including building me a prototype! @EBS_freakprovided some great marketing advice along the way and helped with the copy for the website. @funklebuilt the very first kit cab and was generous enough to test-drive and critique an early version of the 10" LFSys cab.

Thank you all - and thanks for the good wishes.😊

Edited by stevie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

Cab looks great!....can i assume the Silverstone is equipped with the 12pr 320 driver?....also, it might be nice to rebate the handle into the top although i suppose most class D amp feet should clear the handle .

I will let @stevieanswer the driver question but I asked the question about the handle last week. One of my amps has only about 4mm clearance. The answer was, and in hindsight I agree, that rebating the handle will create a dust trap as the handle is rounded over at the edge. 

Having used that handle now on my previous cab for 4 years or more, I can say that it is the easiest one hand lift handle I have used. 

26 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

Cheers for that, yes, i see the point with the edge being rounded....did you put bigger feet on your amp?

Yes but I need to drill some new wholes as the existing ones were not ideal😀 I have also order some slightly smaller ones.

7A159466-1F56-4CD0-95A3-E725B8E91C7A.thumb.jpeg.f3e1f9367d50ff399bd6d3370668cd9a.jpeg

• Chienmortbb changed the title to New Cab Day-LFSys Silverstone