Why become a member? ×

Worst cover version (by competent musicians)

Nail Soup

On 04/10/2022 at 20:25, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I knew it wouldn't be long before this popped up!

I'm not a fan of Disturbed, but I really don't understand the hatred for this... it's an incredible vocal performance. 

I really like it…appropriate levels of intensity.

• Like 2

On 04/10/2022 at 20:25, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm not a fan of Disturbed, but I really don't understand the hatred for this... it's an incredible vocal performance. 

It takes a song with real power and feeling and removes all emotion from it, merely replacing it with being loud. Honestly never heard a cover version by a proper group that destroyed the feeling of a song so badly, or a song that I actually felt such hate for that it actually made me feel less of the group.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yeah I'm aware he's supposed to be some legendary guitarist. But everything I've seen him do with Toya over the past couple of years is utter garbage. I've seen better playing by teens in their bedrooms. 

Yes but that’s playing with themselves 

maybe not so far from being a guitarist… hmm

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I think the vocals are great, dome of Lemmys best singing. I guess we can't all like the same thing 

Absolutely! The thread would be pretty boring if someone posted the worst ever cover, and we all just replied “yep, that’s the one”! 😀 These kind of threads are great for dividing opinion. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ern500evo said:

Absolutely! The thread would be pretty boring if someone posted the worst ever cover, and we all just replied “yep, that’s the one”! 😀 These kind of threads are great for dividing opinion. 

Music would be very boring if everyone liked  the same thing. Without having loads of different tastes it would never have evolved the way it has with hudredss of different genres. 

• Like 2

On 04/10/2022 at 19:21, Nail Soup said:

Gotta be this:

I  can't agree with this at all.  This is one of those rare covers that is as good as the original - Draiman's vocal range and performance is sublime. Paul Simon himself gave it his seal of approval. 

Now if you'd chosen Alexandra Burke's ghastly mangling of Allelujah...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Islander said:

I  can't agree with this at all.  This is one of those rare covers that is as good as the original - Draiman's vocal range and performance is sublime. Paul Simon himself gave it his seal of approval. 

Frankly I think the 'smells like teen spirit video' is less of a travesty than this, at least that has a comedy value!

8 minutes ago, Islander said:

Overblown:

Overdone or excessive

Of unusually large size or proportions: a majestic, overblown figure.

Overinflated; turgid; bombastic; pretentious.

Sounds about right.

17 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Overblown:

Overdone or excessive

Of unusually large size or proportions: a majestic, overblown figure.

Overinflated; turgid; bombastic; pretentious.

Sounds about right.

And yet the highly talented and successful songwriter and performer Paul Simon, reacted this way:

"Simon sent Draiman an e-mail praising the cover. “Really powerful performance on Conan the other day,” Simon wrote. “First time I’d seen you do it live. Nice, Thanks.”

He also posted this on Facebook:

“In case you missed it, Disturbed did a wonderful rendition of The Sound of Silence on Conan this week. The S&G cover also appears on Disturbed’s latest album, Immortalized.”

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but I think I'll take Simon's over yours any day. :P

Edited by Islander

2 minutes ago, Islander said:

And yet the highly talented and successful songwriter and performer Paul Simon, reacted this way:

"Simon sent Draiman an e-mail praising the cover. “Really powerful performance on Conan the other day,” Simon wrote. “First time I’d seen you do it live. Nice, Thanks.”

He also posted this on Facebook:

“In case you missed it, Disturbed did a wonderful rendition of The Sound of Silence on Conan this week. The S&G cover also appears on Disturbed’s latest album, Immortalized.”

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but I think I'll take Simon's over yours any day. :P

How much money did Paul Simon make from permission? He could hardly say it was rubbish could he. It's well OTT, bombastic.

1 hour ago, Grimalkin said:

How much money did Paul Simon make from permission? He could hardly say it was rubbish could he. It's well OTT, bombastic.

Actually, returning to this, they didn't need permission to cover the song.  All they had to do was to pass on any publishing it generated.  Simon wasn't aware they were covering it until they performed it on TV.  His response was spontaneous rather than planned.