Why become a member? ×

Worst cover version (by competent musicians)

Nail Soup

2 hours ago, davepb24 said:

A mate keeps going on about how great Behemoth's cover of the Cure's "A Forest" is ... up there with the worst I've come across I'm afraid

It is utter trash for sure. I'm a massive fan of 80s post-punk and A Forest is one of the top 5 tunes from the era. Also Sound of Silence is my fave S & G tune and the Disturbed cover is a total travesty

Edited by Barking Spiders

There is, in my opinion, a sublime to the ridiculous couple of covers of one song, Hallelujah. Sublime; Jeff Buckley. Ridiculous; Alexandra Burke. I do have to admire Simon Cowell's chutzpah in creating such a dreadful version of a song that contains the line 'but you don't really care for music, do you?'

• Like 3

On 04/10/2022 at 19:16, Newfoundfreedom said:

The White Stripes version of Jolene has got to be are pretty close to being the worst thing I've ever heard. 

FTFY

Edited by Rich
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, cetera said:

The faux-reggae UB40-style version of 'Rocket Man' that Kate Bush did.....

Eurghhh.....

Yes... not often she drops the ball, but oh my word that was inexcusably bad.

14 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Especially Guns N Roses. Their cover {Knocking On Heaven's Door} was competently played but Axle's vocals are dreadful 

I've never liked Bill's voice, but he seemed to go out of his way to make KOHD especially caterwauly and horrible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I particularly loathe these two acclaimed covers of two fave TFF songs of mine

Agreed - that Gary Jules one was the start of a truly dreadful trend for doing ‘80’s songs in an incredibly dreary way.....

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

Knocking On Heaven's Door by anyone

Probably the only song of Dylan’s where the original was definitely best.   

As much as I like Eric Clapton’s output and respect how it’s evolved over the years, have to say I like his covers least, particularly  during his ‘70’s  “reggae” phase.

12 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I particularly loathe these two acclaimed covers of two fave TFF songs of mine

I would much rather the Lorde version, considering the subject of the song I always thought the TFF original was a song mismatched. A bit twee for the message, with lashings of ginger beer.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I disagree. It’s a given that anyone taking on Bowie tracks is always going to contentious, but there are far, far worse from that album.

These threads are fun for seeing everyone’s differing opinions. Granted, it probably isn’t the worst cover version I’ve ever heard, but I just can’t listen to it. As soon as the vocal starts, it’s game over for me! 😀

1 hour ago, ern500evo said:

These threads are fun for seeing everyone’s differing opinions. Granted, it probably isn’t the worst cover version I’ve ever heard, but I just can’t listen to it. As soon as the vocal starts, it’s game over for me! 😀

I know what you mean (and I am a massive Motörhead fan) but the vocal does get better as the song progresses. I actually believe that Motörhead’s cover of Enter Sandman is worse.

• Like 1