Why become a member? ×

Which gig bag for best protection?

ReeV0

IME the problem with all semi-rigid cases like the Mono is that the fit and comfort can be very variable.

I have a Mono M80. For protecting my bass, it is brilliant. The case saved the bass when it had a heavy 2x10 cab dropped on it during a gig load out. In a normal gig bag it would have probably caused some damage to the bass and in anything less than a Hiscox, the case would probably have been damaged as well However when it comes to walking any distance with it on my back, it's far too uncomfortable to contemplate. The straps are too close together at the top which doesn't make it very easy on the shoulders, and because of their length the bottom of the case slaps against my legs with every step. I did the 30 minute walk from our practice room to my house a couple months ago, and decided that next time I'll be patient and wait for the bus.

AFAICS ever semi-rigid bass hard case suffers from this problem mainly because they are all derived from the smaller guitar designs, and have to compromise between having the straps fitted in the most comfortable places and not making the case too tall when worn. Unfortunately the only way to see if any case suits you is to buy one on-line, try it and send it back if you can't get on with it. The repeat until you find one that you are happy with.

14 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Loving my Protection Racket case. It’s halfway between a rigid case and a gig bag. Really light but solid and tough. I think there’s even a secondhand one for sale on the forum somewhere. 

Yep, I'll also recommend the protection racket case. I used to have hard cases for all my basses but now I use these. And they're not expensive... around the 100 pounds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Boodang said:

Yep, I'll also recommend the protection racket case. I used to have hard cases for all my basses but now I use these. And they're not expensive... around the 100 pounds.

And there are pads inside which move about to accommodate different body shapes. I’ve got a short scale Mustang in mine but it’s held snugly in place. 

3 hours ago, Boodang said:

I’m glad I’ve seen this, I just ordered one from GAK. It was £70 posted.

6 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

For all those singing the praises of the Mono bags. Do any of you use them to walk any distance with the bass on your back or is it just to take the instrument from your car into the venue and back?

I do, and I’ve just had a double-check by trying it on. I’ve found it comfy enough, and I try to avoid using my car where I can so I often have a decent walk - I’m a skinny 6’1”, if that makes any difference to the fit. I guess the point is to try a bag if possible before committing. 

4 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

I do, and I’ve just had a double-check by trying it on. I’ve found it comfy enough, and I try to avoid using my car where I can so I often have a decent walk - I’m a skinny 6’1”, if that makes any difference to the fit. I guess the point is to try a bag if possible before committing. 

I think it has a lot to do with the build of the person carrying it. I'm only 5'6" and I hate mine. It is just so uncomfortable to wear for any distance as the the bottom of the bag slaps against the back of my legs with every step, and because the straps are so long due to where the fixing points are it's impossible to shorten them sufficiently to hold the case securely against my back. It's fine for getting the bass into a tightly packed car where it will squash into places a traditional hard case wouldn't fit, and for the sub 5 minute walk from where the car is parked to the venue, but I have sworn I'll never walk home (approx 30 minutes) with it again. IMO for a gig bag this is a major fail.

• Like 1

No issues carrying either Gator case, 6'6" though so while it can never sit low enough to hit the back of my legs it has to be taken off to get through doors. I use a headless now in the guitar version of the Pro Go and that's much easier. Carried the bass version with my Sire in 2.5 miles home from a local gig before.

The Gigblade cases were meant to solve that problem but reports from people that used them usually said the opposite.

Edited by lemmywinks

25 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

The Gigblade cases were meant to solve that problem but reports from people that used them usually said the opposite.

I've got one of the earlier Gigblade bags and there is a bit of an issue when carrying over one shoulder for any period of time, although the later versions have supposed to have sorted that problem out. 

I use a Mono Vertigo and it's great (5'10" here). Having said that, it's quite rare that I carry on my back for any length of time. 

I used to use an iGig double bag, which was brilliant for protection and storage - a bit of a nightmare when I had to carry two basses from one side of a Butlins site to the other though. To be fair, that was one of the things that I liked about it - no one is going to try and do a runner with a bag with two bases in it...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

For all those singing the praises of the Mono bags. Do any of you use them to walk any distance with the bass on your back or is it just to take the instrument from your car into the venue and back?

Car & back for me. It’s not that much of a reduction in weight compared to my Hiscox hard case but does make things that little bit easier.

I have the Gator Go Pro and really like the level of protection it offers. It has lots of storage, which means it also gets heavier with all the stuff in it. I got a sternum strap and the bag is really comfortable to carry. I am 6’4” so also either slip one strap off or take it off to carry through doors. 

I also have the Gear4Music case….it works great with straight head stocks.

19 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I used to walk miles with my bass in one. I commuted by train to and from uni in London three days a week for three years. Differing instruments but always the same Mono M80.

On 12/09/2022 at 16:47, BigRedX said:

I think it has a lot to do with the build of the person carrying it. I'm only 5'6" and I hate mine. It is just so uncomfortable to wear for any distance as the the bottom of the bag slaps against the back of my legs with every step, and because the straps are so long due to where the fixing points are it's impossible to shorten them sufficiently to hold the case securely against my back. It's fine for getting the bass into a tightly packed car where it will squash into places a traditional hard case wouldn't fit, and for the sub 5 minute walk from where the car is parked to the venue, but I have sworn I'll never walk home (approx 30 minutes) with it again. IMO for a gig bag this is a major fail.

That's interesting. I'm a tad shorter than you - 5' 5" - and I don't have that problem. The bag rests against my bum when I'm walking, but it's never hit the back of my legs. I've also managed to adjust the shoulder straps so the strap that locks them together doesn't squash my boobs. I've done the two-mile trudge home up Leith Walk several times with it on my back, too. Takes about 40 - 45 minutes.

As you say, it looks like build has a lot to do with it.

I use an Armourdillo case, have done for the last two years. Walk with it about a mile to church and it's comfortable enough. Well padded and takes my 35" bass plus pedals, leads and a laptop.

Ful review in the link. The photo you see below only shows the bass compartment, there are another three plus an outer zip as well.

Edited by Richard R
Edited for clarity

I just took delivery of a Protection Racket 7051, which I have to say is brilliant, I’m really pleased with it.

It’s well padded and offers lots of protection. It’s also pretty roomy. The cushions attach with Velcro allowing you to either remove them completely or reposition them.

Theres a strap too across the neck rest.

I paid just over £100 for it from GAK.

B9E93119-E86F-4F25-89B9-99C5F51DB7E6.jpeg

• Like 1