Why become a member? ×

Your top 5 session bassists

Grassie

I'm a fan of Will Lee. He used to be a member of the Letterman Show band.

I remember seeing The Hothouse Flowers on the show. Their bass player wasn't available on the night so Will Lee stood in for him and he made the song his own by playing slap (which shouldn't really have worked) and adding some tasty fills.

I'll think of another 4 session guys in a little while......meanwhile here's the performance.

• Like 3

On 09/09/2022 at 23:31, Grassie said:

Evening all,

So who do you regard as the best guns for hire in our world of low end? Our go-to gurus, those unsung heroes of the bass world that lurk in the background either on rekkid or on stage?

Heres my 5 in no particular order:

Gail Ann Dorsey

Guy Pratt

Pino

Tony Levin

Doug Wimbish

Some mighty players there, plus some bonafide iconic lines from some (I’m looking at you Pino, Levin, and Pratt). 😎

I have to admit to not being very aware of session players.

Most music I listen to is played by a band with their own bass player.

For example Gail Ann Dorsey may well be a great session player, but she impinged on my consciousness due to her star quality. 
The other session bassists I know are because they are a leading member of a famous ‘crew’ like Jameson.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2022 at 13:15, lowdown said:

Yes, he was a regular in a lot of the TV Orchestras back then.

A terrific player and very likeable chap.

Back in the 90's, there was a particular TV turn I worked for and PW depped for me a couple of times.

Les Hurdle was another top UK session Bassist;

Donna Summer - "I Feel Love" and "On the Radio are a couple of his Bass lines from a varied session CV from back then.

I believe he was also Tomsk (The Wombles...).

He now lives up some hillside near LA as a media composer.

A few months back he turned up at the VI Control forum, where I asked if he had been a Womble in his past life. He owned up (:D) and then mentioned a couple of his session exploits.

Les Hurdle | VI-CONTROL

Well every day really is a school day. I never knew there was bass guitar on I Feel Love, thought it was all synth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mykesbass said:

Well every day really is a school day. I never knew there was bass guitar on I Feel Love, thought it was all synth. 

It's low in the mix because of the various synths overlaid. But it's there.

There is an old TalkBass thread about Donna Summer and the various Bassists that recorded for her and Les pops up (again).

RIP Donna Summer - The bassists thread... | TalkBass.com

Also, another studio player of that time who recorded with Donna Summer, Dave King, chimes in and talks about his Bassline on "Love To Love You Baby..."

• Thanks 1

Jerry Scheff

Max Bennett

Larry Taylor

Robert (Pops) Popwell

John Rostill

Max Bennett is on loads of famous songs including (on DB) Fever, Peggy Lee; electric on work by the Crusaders and Gumbo Variations (Frank Zappa) - one of the first truly funky bass parts I ever heard. 

After the Shadows John Rostill played in the Tom Jones band, including in Las Vegas, contemporary with Elvis (who considered Tom Jones’s band to be the best). Some accolade when you hear Elvis’s band of the time - Scheff on bass is fabulous. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

I loved his playing both with Canned Heat but especially John Mayall. I hadn’t realised until reading it recently that he had worked on some of the Wrecking Crew recordings - I believe Max Bennett also did. 

Check out the Hollywood Fats stuff he did , some more things have been surfacing but they just released one album , and it became such a major influence for so many. Deadly little band.

Their classic take of Rock This House … 

Edited by msb
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Glen Matlock

Raymond Burns.

Michael Bradley

Phil lesh

Matt Sargent.

Glen Matlock Bath as we say In Derbyshire of the sex pistols,needs no introduction.

Raymond Burns..Bass Player with the Damned alternated between him and Captain Sensible.

Michael Bradley..Bass Player with the Undertones.

Phil Lesh...Of the Grateful Dead.

Mat Sargent... Bass Player with the 70s punk band Splodgenessabounds.

What  A line Up.

Edited by Mickyk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Funnily enough, I never really thought of the Bass player with the Undertones as being a top session player... 

Neither did Mickey to be fair.

I saw  an Undertones documentary in which he recounted the bass played on a particular Undertones album (the lats one I guess).

"It was decided that I should be playing a Wal bass. We entered the selection process for this instrument in which I was allowed to choose the colour"

• Like 3

My top 5 have all been mentioned…

• Davey Paton
  • Herbie Flowers
  • Neil Murray
  • Lee Sklar and 
  • Abraham Laboriel Sr

…but there are several vying for a place - Alan Spenner, Tony Levin, Mo Foster, Chuck Rainey, Willie Weeks.

Though a few other faves haven’t been namechecked yet…

• John G Perry (ex Caravan, Giltrap etc)
  • John Gustafson (ex Roxy Music,  Giltrap Gillan Band etc)
  • Jimmy Johnson (James Taylor et al)
  • Laurence Cottle (Alan Parsons, Sabbath etc)
  • Bob Daisley (Gary Moore and others)

Well, that’s another “Five” list.

• Like 3

On 12/09/2022 at 18:19, fretmeister said:

Not a clue.

Since the invention of downloads I haven't had any liner notes to read. So I haven't looked for at least a decade. 

I think the thread reflects this as a lot of the suggestions on here are dead or retired!

I agree with a lot of names on here and many are my heroes too, but some recent ones (over the last 20 years) I would have are:

Thaddeus "Terry" Tribbett

Joe Cleveland

Robin Mullarkey

Michael League

On 13/09/2022 at 15:55, deepbass5 said:

Like to add some more Brits

Paul Geary

Steve Lawson

Mark King

Yolander Charles

Nick Beggs

Trevor Barry

Neil Murray

Paul Westwood

John McKenzie

+ 1 for Ms. Charles and Mr. Beggs, although I don’t think Mr. King is much of a session player (although he has played on albums for the likes of Nik Kershaw, Midge Ure, Dominic Miller, and David Bowie), he’s obviously more known for his own band. 😊

On 11/09/2022 at 08:39, casapete said:

All of my favourites have been mentioned , but how about a shout out for

these guys?

All great players on some fantastic recordings.

Herbie Flowers

Mo Foster

Russ Stableford

Alan Spenner

Klaus Voorman

At last. Flowers and Voorman.

And for me, Alphonso Johnson, Bruce Thomas and Tony Butler.

Though, in fairness, I'm scratching around looking for names that haven't already been mentioned.