Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

Well .... why not .... 
Very modified Squire Precision Special, into a few pedally things and into the Genzler Magellan 800 plus a couple of Mesa Subway Ultralites.   Lots of room this weekend and new IEMs getting a run out.    All looked a bit more "Rock an' Roll once the house light were off!! 🤠  The hat was resting.MesaRig.thumb.jpg.8b2e3246775fcee50251f4341a8a34bb.jpg  

• Like 3

Just picked up a little Barefaced cab for rehearsals , I have some Bergs for gigs , but the little One 10 is tiny and light , and could easily handle a small gig. With a Monique preamp , and using the back end of a Forte for power it’s a fine little rig with a wonderful thick sound.

IMG_9570.jpeg

Took this out to rehearsal last night and it worked like a dream. Easy to carry in , light , sounded gorgeous.

Edited by msb
  • Like 8

On 08/12/2023 at 16:08, ern500evo said:

These will be my weapons of choice this weekend. Spector Euro LX, GK Fusion 550, Barefaced Big Twin 2. 

IMG_1954.jpeg

Jesus, I used this combo for the first time tonight, just blown away by how good it sounds. I have a Darkglass vintage Microtubes and a EBS Billy Sheehan signature drive pedal on my board (the original purple one), I only switched the EBS on for one song tonight, the rest of the set was just Spector, GK, Barefaced and it sounded sublime 

• Like 3

This weekend's rig of choice...

IMG_2959.thumb.jpeg.75906c22360a213f7bfb4f97b03c09b3.jpeg

At the end of this year, i'll have been using my 80s Musicman cab as my go to cab for ten years. Believe it or not, its a one handed lift. Actually it only has one handle on it 😉 To celebrate this milestone its just recently had a really nice spec Lavoce Neo driver installed which is warmer sounding that the previous more hi fi Faital Pro 15PR400. Sounded immense with my trusty MIM P-bass and a rather wonderful Ashdown Labs MK500 circa 2008 providing the oomph. Forgot to bring a back up amp to the gig but really, with Ashdown kit, i've never needed one.   

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

My rig of choice for tonight's charity gig. There will be an amp and speaker available but I'm planning on keeping it unplugged unless the drummer is too loud. 😃

DSC09034.thumb.jpg.ec053d9543a801b2e2a7721931afc7e6.jpg

I used to play bass for an Open Mic night, and it was suggested that I got an acoustic bass. I looked at several, including Washburn, Martin and others, None really worked without amplification even against two acoustic guitars. So I got a semi acoustic. As I remember it, Washburn originally produced the acoustic bass for the MTV Unplugged series. Of course, they were always plugged in to both FOH and Broadcast sound mixer. 

• Like 1

Thrres huge variation in how acoustic basses sound. Thst must be impressive just to condider using it with drums unamplified.

I got an acoustic-only tanglewood, which by definition had to have a decent inherent volume. I fitted a cheap piezo system which is a bit harsh and may get upgraded, although some nylon tapewounds tamed it.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 16:08, ern500evo said:

These will be my weapons of choice this weekend. Spector Euro LX, GK Fusion 550, Barefaced Big Twin 2. 

IMG_1954.jpeg

GK Fusion 550 is about the only amp left on my bucket list now. Never heard one but I bet it sounds gorgeous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Japhet said:

GK Fusion 550 is about the only amp left on my bucket list now. Never heard one but I bet it sounds gorgeous.

It’s a fantastic piece of kit. I wanted one for years, ever since using one at a shared backline gig many moons ago. They just never came up used at the right time. Even this one came up when I’d not long bought an ABM 600, but I couldn’t let the opportunity slip. Best decision I’ve made. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

I used to play bass for an Open Mic night, and it was suggested that I got an acoustic bass. I looked at several, including Washburn, Martin and others, None really worked without amplification even against two acoustic guitars. So I got a semi acoustic. As I remember it, Washburn originally produced the acoustic bass for the MTV Unplugged series. Of course, they were always plugged in to both FOH and Broadcast sound mixer. 

I originally got it just after joining the Hulla as they were doing a series of outdoor/unplugged gigs sponsored by the local seaside chippy. It was great, we got paid in fish and chips. 😃(The Hull is a non-profit band). It cost me £50 and it has a piezo pick-up fitted so I can plug in if necessary. See below.  (I would love a semi acoustic bass and have been looking recently at the Hofner Verythin, Violin and the HB equivalents.)

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thst must be impressive just to condider using it with drums unamplified.

My understanding of the night was that it would be a quiet session in a church. Our drummer can be quiet when he needs to be but you're right, it was going to be touch and go. So I got them to bring my speaker and BAM200 which are usually kept in the rehearsal hall. Just in case. Good job as when I turned up, there were two guitar amps and the two brass players. So I ended up plugging in. And had I known about the amps and the extended set list (we went into rock n roll), I probably would have brought my Ibanez EHS1000 instead. 

I'm listening to the audio now and it's a nice mix.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2023 at 20:40, stewblack said:

Small but perfectly formed for this evening in Bristol.IMG_20231208_203723.thumb.jpg.755ba8b4f1f6205a2c15de5075e3705e.jpg

Bruce Thomas Profile into Veyron M, two magical 10" Elves pumping into the room.

Hey Stew, nice set up!
Have you been able to comapre the Trace 1x10s with Barefaced One10s?

It's a shame we're not closer we could've met up and had a comparison jam.

I should add I do have some BF cabs (and have played extensively through many different brands over the years) and to my ears the TE Elf cabs are comfortably as good as any and better than most.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1