Why become a member? ×

Neck relief in a heatwave

iamtheelvy

Anyone else having to do some hefty adjustments to their bass necks at the moment? Noticed the action was super-high on my Stingray the other day and ended up needing the best part of a half-turn of the truss rod to get it down (bridge as low as poss already).

Doing my best to keep my gear out of direct sunlight, but it’s pretty hot right now whatever you do…

No.

None of the necks on my basses have changed much with temperature conditions and given the fact that it will all be over in a week or so, if I did make any adjustments now, I'd just be reversing them again when summer reverts to the UK normal, so I'll put up with very slightly higher action than normal for a few days.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

Same thing here. I've made some adjustments. 

It's strange how my Stingray required quite some tightening versus another bass (Leverson Blade), which showed no such need.

I have 2 basses by the same manufacturer, one has always needed occasional tweaks, whilst the other, barely ever. I guess the wood used in the neck and fretboard are more stable in the latter.

• Like 2

Sei headless basses - put a capo on fret 1 (or where it would be on the fretless), hold string down and check height, twiddle allen key in truss rod end conveniently located at end of neck until height is right. They have something of a mind of their own as to whether to move or not, so I'm ready to adjust them any time. The Flamboyant has been getting used and hasn't shown any sign of moving in the heat.

I was playing DB at the weekend over midday, and the tuning was ALL over the place, even with it left as far as possible in the shade. 

Someone suggested leaving it in their car (!) until I pointed out it would probably top 50deg in there and the glue would probably melt, leaving me with a flatpack double bass!

Having recently gone back to graphite necks has been a godsend. 

That said, my old P Bass needs a tiny tweak once or twice a year but other than that it's a good as gold. My 4003S however is obviously made of  cheese as it's all over the place right now and that has two truss rods!

No movement so far on either of the bass guitars which I'm currently playing. One being my fave Classic 50's Fiesta Red P, the other being my Fender Japan Lyte P/J.

I've got a few other bass guitars in cases & gigbags, which I haven't touched since this heatwave - I had probably better check on them later.....

My acoustic upright needed tuning a couple of days back, then again yesterday - it being sat on a stand, and not having been moved in between.

Edited by Marc S

My cello is usually very stable. I had a lesson yesterday so got it out a few hours before hand as I suspected it would be troublesome and I was right. Strings were flat (in BC terms I suppose you would say they are flat wound, possibly tape wound? Steel core with a flat wire wrapped around). Usually it's just a slight adjustment with the fine-tuners, but it was way too flat for that, which means tuning from the pegs. So you drop the tuning and bring it up. It's hard going as there's a lot of tension on cello strings. Tuning wasn't stable though and it needed tweaking a few more times. 

Now that it's cooled significantly, strings will tighten, so I will need to watch that otherwise I'll be faced with strings snapping and I'd rather not fork out £120 for a new C string, although the A is the one likeliest to snap and they're about £40.

I've kept my basses in their cases in the shade.    

Edited by zbd1960

Ah, I was just going to create a topic on this, so it's good to see it's not just mine and other people's necks have decided to go for a wander.

Mine are on a wall and I've had the curtains drawn during the day, most are pretty stable but my MIJ PBass has bowed quite a bit.

I'll leave it a few days for the weather to settle then have a tinker.

Yep, two of my five strings assumed a nice bow and unplayable high action. To be fair, its a while since I last tweaked them so the heat probably only exaggerated a raise action to the point where I did something about it.