Why become a member? ×

The stupidity of a wedding venue

EBS_freak

image.thumb.png.c293a6ffad6508d5b41ddd7602ea571d.png

The Great Barn at Headstone Manor. Been watching this one unfold. The venues facebook page has been completely obliterated by people making their feelings known...

Complete PR disaster. Google reviews taking a beating too. They've taken the Facebook reviews down - which is a shame as they were making for quite the read.

Greed. Can't beat it can you?

I think if I was in the market of getting married, it would be getting a wide berth.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

There are still the reviews on google which aren't very flattering, and I guess they can't take down.

There is a post on their page saying that they had explained it badly (although I can't see what they were trying to say), and it wasn't their intention to charge everyone, either way it is a pretty good way to commit business suicide in a pretty crowded marketplace!

Ah - I see, they wanted to charge suppliers that they recommend 10%. Well, I think they have lost any financial advantage of doing that now.

That's utterly insane. Prices for most things shoot up as soon as the word "wedding" is mentioned so they're just jumping people's prices up even more to line their own pockets for what? If they're not happy with how much money they're making they need to address it themselves, not shovel it on to others. 

Rightly taking a public pasting. 

I wonder where the venue stands, legally, to impose this? If a photographer or band is hired by the couple, then that's who their contract is with, not the venue. The venue is just another contractor hired by the couple and, as such, should have no right to access information on other contractor's payments details or impose a fee, based on the value of the contract between separate contractors and the couple, surely?

• Like 8

A few years ago when I was working as a farrier a couple of large stables tried the same thing. If we were going to work on horses that were boarded at the stable we had to pay a fee to the stable to be able to work there. The horse owners were our clients, not the stable owners...crazy. The idea did not last very long. I think these money grubbing programs are dreamed up by business consultants with a nice new shiny MBA who are charging the businesses a lot of money but have no idea how the business actually operates.

They aren't imposing this at all - they just phrased it badly. They are charging a 10% commission fee if they recommend the supplier.

ie, if the couple hire the hall and say 'who is a good photographer', they will recommend someone for 10% - but even then:

a) who asks a hall for a recommendation of a photographer / caterer / band

b) once they have recommended someone, what would be to stop the couple then going directly to that photographer.

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

if the couple hire the hall and say 'who is a good photographer', they will recommend someone for 10%

Deciding that your opinion is available for sale is also a way of being a pos.

"Please could you tell me which local photographer will charge me 10% more so they can pay you to pretend to think that they're good — that's the kind of outfit I would like to hire for my special day."

🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

What's sad is that The Great Barn is such a gorgeous building. I'd love to play a gig there one day.

I can tell you that you probably aren't missing much.

An echo chamber of mush.....

...unless you are playing acoustic... in which case, bang on.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

They aren't imposing this at all - they just phrased it badly. They are charging a 10% commission fee if they recommend the supplier.

ie, if the couple hire the hall and say 'who is a good photographer', they will recommend someone for 10% - but even then:

a) who asks a hall for a recommendation of a photographer / caterer / band

b) once they have recommended someone, what would be to stop the couple then going directly to that photographer.

Phrased badly? You aren’t kidding - it makes little or no sense at all as it stands in the OP and could be read a number ways. In addition, if they recommend someone, who is to say, when the time comes, that the client haven’t hired the contractor off their own bat, from other recommendations? What an absolute shower!

A referral scheme makes sense and isn't a bad idea in principal, plenty of businesses use them. It sounds like they've just thrown that out there as a way of trying to deal with all of the negative backlash though.

'Oh stinky poo, we've made a bad decision. What can we say to get out of it'

There's no way that original email was written with the intention of introducing a sort of loyalty scheme with preferred suppliers.

image.png.42646bed31dd78151200076ffc5ff93a.png

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 3

I'm gonna start recommending that venue for weddings. And then demand 10% off them for all weddings they get.

It's easy that parasite model.

If theyd any brains theyd realise the suppliers (the good ones anyway) make them and their venue look good.

This is just another case of venue operators/promotors creaming a bit off the top.

I have a friend whose daughter's boyfriend has a business doing event catering; he has a 100% rating on Trustpilot during the pandemic he regularly pitched up outside hospitals and fed the staff for free.  I was staggered to find out that venues insist their on-site caterers take card payments (no cash) and that you use one of the venue card machines during the event.  End of the day the venue takes - are you sitting down here - 25% of all takings put through the card machine.  Shocker.

• Sad 2

35 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

A referral scheme makes sense and isn't a bad idea in principal, plenty of businesses use them. It sounds like they've just thrown that out there as a way of trying to deal with all of the negative backlash though.

There's no way that original email was written with the intention of introducing a sort of loyalty scheme with preferred suppliers.

image.png.42646bed31dd78151200076ffc5ff93a.png

Yup, their response is kinda a massive insult to everybody’s intelligence.

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

An echo chamber of mush.....

...unless you are playing acoustic... in which case, bang on.

There is a beautiful hall near us, an old hamstone barn, huge, with flagstone floors. if you whisper at one side of the room you can hear it at the other end.

Also, if you drop a drumstick on the floor, it sets off the noise level meter!

And when you do play, even ignoring the noise meter (which they seem to do), its pretty much like you expect to get if you turn the reverb up on everything

38 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Indeed - they are either very bad at communicating, or very stupid, or very greedy, or some combination of all of the above.