Why become a member? ×

Is your bass gear better than you are?

martthebass

:) Have any of you guys got to the point where you think your bass gear is better than you are (or even worse - could be)?

Don't get me wrong I love to play on a really nice bass but when you go to the odd jam night and someone plays the hell out of a £100 bass does it make you feel like leaving your £1000 baby in the gig bag and hacking about on the 'house bass'?

[quote name='martthebass' post='462062' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:01 PM']Don't get me wrong I love to play on a really nice bass but when you go to the odd jam night and someone plays the hell out of a £100 bass does it make you feel like leaving your £1000 baby in the gig bag and hacking about on the 'house bass'?[/quote]

At one jam I don't even bother taking a bass. I play the rubbish house bass.

Huh, my basses are worth much more than I am, certainly in monetary terms - if only I could stop tweaking and twiddling at them! As for my playing being worth anything - I suspect the only reason I'm in the band is because the guitarist doesn't have 4 arms :)

[quote name='martthebass' post='462062' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:01 PM']:) Have any of you guys got to the point where you think your bass gear is better than you are (or even worse - could be)?

Don't get me wrong I love to play on a really nice bass but when you go to the odd jam night and someone plays the hell out of a £100 bass does it make you feel like leaving your £1000 baby in the gig bag and hacking about on the 'house bass'?[/quote]

For me, being a lefty, it is a little easier, but i know what you mean. Down here in Bournemouth people in pub's and club jam nights are terrible. You get a whole league of "musicians" stood at the bar judging you for what your getting out of that flight case or wheeling in from the car. Pisses me off and makes me not want to play sometimes. What i think of now is that we're all here to play and enjoy the music that we're creating. Who give's a fluff what that kickin riff is played on/thro?

When i first started Playing bass i felt so bad. I was real lucky to get some money left to me, about 1500, so i went out and got the best i could with the money. Then i hated getting my new gear out of the car because some of the snooty look's you'd get and horrible heckal's as you enter the pub and start playing, and then they see that i've only been playing about six months.

That's one thing i've battled with for years. Am i really good enough to play this stuff? Who and what is Good anyway?

[quote name='martthebass' post='462062' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:01 PM']:) Have any of you guys got to the point where you think your bass gear is better than you are (or even worse - could be)?[/quote]

I used to think that way but it's pointless. My playing sounds better / is better when playing on my bass gear. It's a waste of time/money when your playing [i]isn't[/i] any better on higher end gear. I still happily gig with my first bass from time to time though (a $200 Mexican Fender Jazz).

[quote name='martthebass' post='462062' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:01 PM']:) Have any of you guys got to the point where you think your bass gear is better than you are (or even worse - could be)?[/quote]

Probably, but it’s nice owning good stuff. I'm in the process of down-grading my rig so this should help level things out :rolleyes:

Absolutely.

Thats maybe why we all love a modest bit of kit that 'does the job' though isn't it ?
I love reasonably priced basses and amps that are up to the mark more than exotic overpriced stuff that scares you silly
when you take it on pub gig.

Absolutely!!

At a rehearsal in a covers band I joined recently, the (professional) sax player noticed me getting my bass out.. He came rushing over and said "is that a Warwick? A friend of mine, who is a really excellent bass player had one of those, and always said they were the best basses he ever played".. I told him I was by no means an excellent, or even a good bass player. He said "who cares? You've got a Warwick!" (needless to say that was before he heard me play!!!)

James

[quote name='martthebass' post='462062' date='Apr 14 2009, 01:01 PM']:) Have any of you guys got to the point where you think your bass gear is better than you are (or even worse - could be)?

Don't get me wrong I love to play on a really nice bass but when you go to the odd jam night and someone plays the hell out of a £100 bass does it make you feel like leaving your £1000 baby in the gig bag and hacking about on the 'house bass'?[/quote]
Haha - I've been to a jam night like that. Left the Stingray in its case and played the Squier Jazz - worse than the guy before me. It was all blues blah blah anyway, not my bag. Interesting to note though (with ref to another thread about stage sound) that when I stood out the front it sounded great, when I stood next to the cab it sounded muddier than Muddy Waters.

Back to the topic - think my current stable of G&L Tribute, Yamaha BB and second hand Trace stuff suits me nicely!