Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

42523122-04AB-4E7B-9A8E-5E4A405BE639.thumb.jpeg.f63badd173dba5d7f6962333ccb3e9e2.jpeg

My rig for last night’s loud band rehearsal. This is a very loud band, and the Glock has been the choice for obvious reasons (1000W…) but to get the best from that I really need a second Two10 cab. Yesterday I decided to try the Elf for a giggle, and it copes admirably. Not quite the same, dare I say, heft, to the notes from a distance but that will be the difference in the power output rather than because its class D. The Glock can just shove more weight behind the notes.

On the whole, as an experiment it’s one which the Elf passed easily.

I know I’ve said before about it coping with a (different) loud rock band on a gig, but this band is a bit different. We are silly loud, a heavy hitting drummer and two guitarists with 2x12 cabs going hell for leather… All that being said I can see myself using it for gigs with this band where there is PA support no problem at all. 

• Like 3

Can the Elf be used as a straight DI box with no speaker attached? I had assumed so but then learned my Ashdown ABM 500 (now sold) would fry if used as a DI without speaker attached due to overloading. An internet search suggests the Elf can safely be used in this way but I thought I'd check the wisdom of the BC massive, especially as I can't see why one rule would apply to one amp but not another

1 minute ago, Clarky said:

Can the Elf be used as a straight DI box with no speaker attached? I had assumed so but then learned my Ashdown ABM 500 (now sold) would fry if used as a DI without speaker attached due to overloading. An internet search suggests the Elf can safely be used in this way but I thought I'd check the wisdom of the BC massive, especially as I can't see why one rule would apply to one amp but not another

Yes it can :)

Very surprised the ABM couldn’t, who said that? I’ve run mine without a load several times without issue…

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Merton said:

Very surprised the ABM couldn’t, who said that? I’ve run mine without a load several times without issue…

Thank you! I was told this emphatically by our guitarist who has been gigging for 40 years (mind he uses all valve amps, which may be different?) and I found a TalkBass thread saying the same. Anyhow, good to hear! Thank you 😊

3 minutes ago, Clarky said:

Thank you! I was told this emphatically by our guitarist who has been gigging for 40 years (mind he uses all valve amps, which may be different?) and I found a TalkBass thread saying the same. Anyhow, good to hear! Thank you 😊

Yeah your guitarist was very wrong in the case of the ABM. Not that it matters now 😆

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Merton said:

That's good to know - I usually have both the Elf and a Sansamp in my gig tote bag.

21 hours ago, Clarky said:

Unless it has a valve power output section it shouldn't be an issue 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Quilly said:

I have to reiterate that the elf 1x10 box is a great little cab . It really fills the room 

I agree. I'm really happy with the sound - I don't use a really deep bass tone.  I've been using mine on it's own (with a TCE BAM200) in rehearsals in a large hall with full band and PA and have been told (nicely and correctly) to turn down, and at a couple of gigs recently with the same set up. And when I practice at home, I usually have the original songs playing through it and the sound isn't too bad for a 1x10" without a tweeter.

• Like 1

To the right of the PA speaker on the bar, under my headstock - lit up. What a ridiculously cramped venue - we did three sundays in a row, playing to a virtually empty place 😞

But they liked us, and we got booked for another one of their chain as a result. Twice the fee, and it was rammed...

• Like 2

So , I’ve a gig tomorrow night with a 5 piece in a typical cosy Irish pub, (i.e . Not enough room to swing a cat and we’ll be falling over each other) I’ve decided I’m gonna try the elf with the 1x10 box . Wish me luck 🍀 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Quilly said:

So , I’ve a gig tomorrow night with a 5 piece in a typical cosy Irish pub, (i.e . Not enough room to swing a cat and we’ll be falling over each other) I’ve decided I’m gonna try the elf with the 1x10 box . Wish me luck 🍀 

You could get a matching fetching green leprechaun outfit to go with.

So anyway I just about got away with the elf and 1x10 box but really I’ll be finding some way of shoving my barefaced two10 in there somewhere (I think I could 🤔) Although it was able to keep up volume wise I just felt I didn’t have that low end “heft” (sorry) and it started to get harsh when pushed. what I liked was the gain/compression feature , kept everything on an even keel. 

97E104F6-D8B7-48C7-852E-E14CC498F2DF.jpeg

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Quilly said:

So anyway I just about got away with the elf and 1x10 box but really I’ll be finding some way of shoving my barefaced two10 in there somewhere (I think I could 🤔) Although it was able to keep up volume wise I just felt I didn’t have that low end “heft” (sorry) and it started to get harsh when pushed. what I liked was the gain/compression feature , kept everything on an even keel. 

97E104F6-D8B7-48C7-852E-E14CC498F2DF.jpeg

210 on its end should be very much the same footprint.

7 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

210 on its end should be very much the same footprint.

If you look closely (I know it’s dark) that’s actually on top of a bench . We were really struggling to fit everyone. But I think a 2x10 can could be placed there horizontally.