Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

11 hours ago, Quilly said:

If you look closely (I know it’s dark) that’s actually on top of a bench . We were really struggling to fit everyone. But I think a 2x10 can could be placed there horizontally. 

That would mean there would be a Barefaced Elf in an Irish pub😁

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've carried an Elf as a spare for some time now, and tonight I needed it big time - I was using a fairly new Markbass LM250 which was fine in soundcheck but crapped out at the beginning of the set. I hastily grabbed the elf, plug it in an hoped for the best. It sounded truly great with 2 Barefaced one tens. Very happy with it.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Skin Lewis said:

I've carried an Elf as a spare for some time now, and tonight I needed it big time - I was using a fairly new Markbass LM250 which was fine in soundcheck but crapped out at the beginning of the set. I hastily grabbed the elf, plug it in an hoped for the best. It sounded truly great with 2 Barefaced one tens. Very happy with it.

That’s my regular rig! 👏

54 minutes ago, BassAdder60 said:

Added the Elf today as a backup amp 

It’s a amazing little amp, lovely tone and very loud for such a small amp 

I like it

I’ve gigged mine with a very loud band, it’s an impressive little thing. There’s a thread on the Amplification forum about this and other amps and their in built EQ curves which gives a great insight into why this sounds great and seems very loud :)

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

My better half bought me a Christmas Elf. Not had much time with it today for obvious reasons, but what time I did have was very interesting. How can such a tiny thing be sooo loud? It’s not just that, it has great tone too. It’s going to be my main amp, with the One10, for the jazz band I’m rehearsing with. 

Rob

26C70E4D-AB6E-483C-BEF8-29485959BEAF.jpeg

• Like 5

I, by chance, demo’ed a TE elf head and 2x8 cab for stu zender a while back,  he bought it to record his latest album he’s working on.

he didn’t play but had me noodle around and slap with requests for this and that for an hour or so, said it sounded great. Said “even your mistakes sound good” hahaha …..

So, as the ultimate endorsement of this te elf gear, if it’s good enough for SZ, I say it’s good enough for everyone !

• Like 1

ok. I've had some time with this little amp now. Whilst I love the sound of it, and its compact size, the fan noise is a bit too intrusive.

How loud is your fan?

I've had search on the net and it seems some are quieter than other according to various comments I've seen. I've also had a look at the fan itself, and it appears to be a standard thing used mostly in cooling 3D printers. There are various replacement fans available, some of which claim to be almost silent. Has anyone replaced theirs?

Cheers,

Rob

1 hour ago, ossyrocks said:

ok. I've had some time with this little amp now. Whilst I love the sound of it, and its compact size, the fan noise is a bit too intrusive.

How loud is your fan?

I've had search on the net and it seems some are quieter than other according to various comments I've seen. I've also had a look at the fan itself, and it appears to be a standard thing used mostly in cooling 3D printers. There are various replacement fans available, some of which claim to be almost silent. Has anyone replaced theirs?

Cheers,

Rob

I only really use this amp rehearsing with a band or for gigs . The fan has a variable speed that ramps up whenever you dig in which is annoying if you pay attention to it, I guess you’re stuck with that compromise with such a small fan.  I had a first gen Orange Terror bass that was much louder however. I think for the elf it’s a compromise I’m happy enough to live with for such as small and powerful amp.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 15:03, Stub Mandrel said:

Too noisy for home practice, fine anywhere else.

For home I use a Joyo Badass now, which is silent.

The Joyo Badass is a great little amp isn't it? Really nice sound , Bluetooth enabled. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever add a second 1x10 TE cab to their rig? Did it make much difference in tone , power? I imagine the addition of a second 8ohm cab will squeeze the full 200w out of the amp, just finding the single 110 a little lacking in low frequencies 

1 hour ago, Quilly said:

little lacking

I don't know what you were expecting out of the pint sized mini rig! Mathematically a 2nd cab is going to add a little and then some, but it's still only going to be 2 tens at the end of the day.

Afaik Elf manages about 130w into 8 ohm, so not a whole lot of extra power, but the 3dB of extra sensitivity from doubling  cabs can do a bit extra with it again. If you are seriously only lacking a little then I feel you would do nicely with the 2nd cab.

If you are more underwhelmed than that you might be better off with a 12 or two.

Never mind what other folks get away with using with their loud drummer. Everyone's drummer is loud. Some are louder. If you ever plugged in a second cab you should have a fair idea what to expect in your situation.