Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

50 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

I use mine with a Barefaced Two10 (which they suggest is the equivalent of a "good" 4x10) in a band with drums, guitar and keys, and I've never got the volume knob past halfway, so I reckon you'd be fine.

Yep I used that combo myself and it worked really well. 

17 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

because it's Trace Elliot watts, they're a lot louder than normal watts 😀

I had an AH500-7 head once and it was an absolute beast of an amp, Even the 300W 1*15 combo I had was loud enough for all my needs. very heavy amps tho, the old trace stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asingardenof said:

I use mine with a Barefaced Two10 (which they suggest is the equivalent of a "good" 4x10) in a band with drums, guitar and keys, and I've never got the volume knob past halfway, so I reckon you'd be fine.

Likewise! Often get told to turn down tbh.

And as @BassAdder60 said, the “big” Elf (TE1200) is 4 Ohm min as well, but Peavey did say they were testing its stability at 2 ohms…

23 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I had an AH500-7 head once and it was an absolute beast of an amp, Even the 300W 1*15 combo I had was loud enough for all my needs. very heavy amps tho, the old trace stuff.

Going off on a tangent I know but, I've got a couple of Trace heads, rated 200 watts at 4 ohms, never run out of steam and our drummer is a bit of an animal, they only weigh 13 Kg, if the Elf is similar it'll be loud enough

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Going off on a tangent I know but, I've got a couple of Trace heads, rated 200 watts at 4 ohms, never run out of steam and our drummer is a bit of an animal, they only weigh 13 Kg, if the Elf is similar it'll be loud enough

I might be totally wrong but I think the old 200W trace heads were Class A/B and had stonking clumps of iron transformers driving the speaker so they might have more "heft" (there's that word :) ) than the class D 200W elf. 

22 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I might be totally wrong but I think the old 200W trace heads were Class A/B and had stonking clumps of iron transformers driving the speaker so they might have more "heft" (there's that word :) ) than the class D 200W elf. 

that's right, totally different animal, just wondering whether they've kept the Trace tradition of being very conservative with their power ratings

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

that's right, totally different animal, just wondering whether they've kept the Trace tradition of being very conservative with their power ratings

I've had a class D Ampeg PF350 and a TC electronics 250W class D amp and the elf 200W kicks both their bottoms so..yeah underrated loudage ! 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I've had a class D Ampeg PF350 and a TC electronics 250W class D amp and the elf 200W kicks both their bottoms so..yeah underrated loudage ! 

I agree .. I tried the Ampeg PF500 and felt it was very light on power 

The Elf is a loud amp for a class D and useable EQ and decent built in compressor 

5 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Just out of interest, and I know this is not what it's made for, but what is the loudest useable volume?

If you put it through a 4x10 could it keep up with 2 guitars and drums?

Take the sensitivity of the cab and add 21dB and you won't be far off.

Everyone plays with 'loud' guitarists and drummers. Some are seriously louder than others so it is very hard to nail down.

Ime 200w and 4 ohm worth of big cabinet is pretty darn loud enough for a pub when it's a simple PA and a single sub giving the kick a boost.

Some people will say no way they can get by without at least 500w.

Others swear and declare their 30w amp keeps up with their loud drummer and guitarist.

I would say if you need to turn up a vintage Trace 250 to '4' with green input LED and a 4 ohm cab you would be shy on grunt with an Elf. I used to crank it to '4' with a single 15 cab but with two cabs if I get to '3' I am indulging my inner hooligan.

Elf is supposedly honestly rated for RMS output of a everyday bass signal, so it isn't much short of power compared to SMX 250.  I don't know if it can do big whomp transients like a SMX can. When they say 500w peak on that puppy they mean it.

I’m currently appraising my ampage. I have four amps set up on top of each other, on top of two cabs, and the aim is to decide what suits me, what to keep, and what to sell. The amps are, top to bottom, TE Elf, Bergantino Forte D, Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, Mark Bass Little Mark 3. Cabs are Barefaced One10 and Super Compact. At this point, the Elf is in no way demonstrating that it has inferior capabilities or power. Running at 4 ohms, with both cabs, it really is holding its own. This is at home mind you, but I’m not necessarily tickling these amps, I’m letting them go a bit. The stand out amp is the Bergantino, but that’s not surprising, it’s simply wonderful. But, I need to decide what to keep as a backup, and it’s a toss up between the Elf and the Aguilar at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Does the power socket on anyone else's Elf move this much? It's now one of two suspects in my glitchy hell from last night and wanted to see if this was ommon and/or something to worry about.

Edited by asingardenof
Video upload not working

15 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Does the power socket on anyone else's Elf move this much? It's now one of two suspects in my glitchy hell from last night and wanted to see if this was ommon and/or something to worry about.

I just got mine out, confident that mine didn't do that, but in fact it does. It does move side to side a bit. I've never noticed it before.

Rob

• Like 1

15 hours ago, asingardenof said:

So, given mine does the same, maybe to a lesser extent, I don't know. My first thought was to investigate whether the socket is wired directly to the board or if it is chassis mounted then wired to the board by flying leads. Looking at some pics available on the internet, it's the latter, in which case the lateral movement should have no effect on the connections inside. 

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/internal-photos-of-trace-elliot-elf.1306639/

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was the fortunate BCer who snagged the Elf that @FinnDave mentioned, what a wonder it is!

It rattles windows thru my PJB C4 and sounds glorious!  

@asingardenof, my power socket also shifts back and forth about 2mm ... odd, as the photos linked to by @ossyrocks seem to show some sort of sealant on the top of the socket that presumably should prevent this

Sam x

Edited by SamIAm