Why become a member? ×

This Trace Elliot ELF never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Mike Bungo

17 hours ago, Quilly said:

I was expecting a significant cut in volume going up to a higher impedance cabinet, I needn't have worried. Even through an 8ohm cab this rig has loads in the tank. 

I have a PJB C4, the Elf can just keep up with a relatively quiet drummer in a rehearsal using it, but the sound is good.

On the other hand with my AT212 which is 4R, I think it would be fine for most situations.

On 18/07/2022 at 20:26, Quilly said:

The 110 came in the post from Thomann today . I can’t  wait to play a gig with this rig . I initially thought this would only be suitable for small acoustic types of gigs but the power is unreal from this thing.

I'm also interested in how it performs at a gig.

Edited by Franticsmurf

I ended up returning mine…it worked fine.  I got another MB200 as a spare and I was half the  price of the elf.  And I like the GK a lot better.  
Maybe I’ll get another one used cheaper because I do like them… I’m retired and gotta look at the bottom line…$.

2 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

I ended up returning mine…it worked fine.  I got another MB200 as a spare and I was half the  price of the elf.  And I like the GK a lot better.  
Maybe I’ll get another one used cheaper because I do like them… I’m retired and gotta look at the bottom line…$.

Is the MB200 louder than the Elf?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Is the MB200 louder than the Elf?

Well, they are both 200 Watts @4 Ohms.  I’d say yes they’re about the same in volume.  Personally, I think the GK MB-200 has a warmer, gooey  tone over all.

The tone just suits my tastes well.

I will use the MbB200 as a spare for my 2 X GK stereo rig.

No offense to the ELF though, they are very nice!

1EB17411-545F-4C61-B6EF-885DCB867B7F.jpeg

D9CED789-6E3A-401F-B218-54B53E16E43B.jpeg

Edited by stereoplayer

3 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

I wonder how comparitively loud, 2 Elf's would be?

I'm guess the physics are not as simple as 2 x 200w amps = 1 x 400w amp! 😁

But seriously, bearing in mind the size, could 2 Elf's and 2 speakers, be a viable option?

They sure could!

See my above 2x rig!  It roars!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I wonder how comparitively loud, 2 Elf's would be?

I'm guess the physics are not as simple as 2 x 200w amps = 1 x 400w amp! 😁

But seriously, bearing in mind the size, could 2 Elf's and 2 speakers, be a viable option?

For loudness v cartage you would be better off with one power hungry cab and a bigger amp...

or just a bigger amp with the two cabs. Elf isn't exactly cheap, you're paying good money for smallness. 

On 20/07/2022 at 16:27, stereoplayer said:

Well, they are both 200 Watts @4 Ohms.  I’d say yes they’re about the same in volume.  Personally, I think the GK MB-200 has a warmer, gooey  tone over all.

The MB200 uses the ICEPower 50ASX2 BTL, 170Watts into 4 ohms and 100 watts into 8 Ohms.

Edited by Chienmortbb
Had to correct the model number,

22 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

I see you have the original 'briefcase' amp on the bottom.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

I’ll take your word for it…but the specs say 200 Watts at 4 Ohms.

A screen capture of the GK site.

0BE7FB23-316D-4943-AB21-F542FD41F66F.png

They are right and wrong, the 50ASX2 can reach 200watts into 4 ohms but at very high distortion.

Also the power output depends on the input voltage. The ICEPower datasheet states that at 10% distortion and 230V you can get 220W and that reduces to 180W at 115V input. At 1% distortion, it outputs 170W at 230V and 150W at 120V ac input.

24 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

They are right and wrong, the 50ASX2 can reach 200watts into 4 ohms but at very high distortion.

Also the power output depends on the input voltage. The ICEPower datasheet states that at 10% distortion and 230V you can get 220W and that reduces to 180W at 115V input. At 1% distortion, it outputs 170W at 230V and 150W at 120V ac input.

How does the Elf compare?

• 2 weeks later...

Playing a small gig with my elf 'Rig' tomorrow, I'll be using my Sandberg California VS and maybe my Sandberg Basic as backup.  I don't plan on using much in the way of effects, maybe a little compression and chorus. Will report back :) 

• Thanks 1