Why become a member? ×

What is with the constant asking for serial numbers?

la bam

Hi all,

I've sold several basses over the last 2 months on facebook marketplace. All the basses have had accurate photos, descriptions and titles.

However on marketplace, I am constantly bombarded with "what's the serial number?". Nothing else. No 'nice bass' or 'where was this built?' etc, just constant insistence on having the full serial number.

Now, I understand having the serial number to check it is what it is etc, but all I've ever come across in the past is more a question of where was it made (to distinguish usa, mex, jap etc).

But, I'm getting the feeling something else is afoot - are people asking for full serial numbers so they can copy them and stick them on cheap copies etc? Even more weirdly people are asking who live nowhere near me, and all basses are clearly listed pick up only.

Anyone else had this recently?

I make sure the serial number is visible and clear in pics, when I put up an ad, and I usually put up at least 15 big and clear pics of every cm2 of the instrument. Let the pics say everything there is to say about it and then you don't get questions.

Other than "Would you trade your nice bass for three not no nice ones and a red lawnmower handle" or "Can I pay you much, much less since you don't live on my street" types which, sadly, seem to be unavoidable

As someone who does ask for serial numbers on occasion - it's so I can search online for the DOB and factory source (more so with Yamahas), as well as see if there's any web history of that specific instrument.

I wouldn't bother on most stuff, just those I am geeky about that I actually want to buy.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like my hunch was right....

Quite a few people on facebook now complaining that people are asking for full serial numbers, then reporting the bass in question as stolen and giving the serial number number as 'proof' it was theirs....

Be careful everyone, as if there wasnt enough scams around......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Reggaebass said:

Out of interest how does that work, most vintage fenders I look at have the full serial number showing 

I guess the police have to take every report seriously and if you don’t have a receipt or proof of some kind it belongs to you they may take it off you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunion said:

I guess the police have to take every report seriously and if you don’t have a receipt or proof of some kind it belongs to you they may take it off you. 

Alternatively, if someone is reporting a stolen instrument only after an ad goes live and have no proof whatsoever of ownership and no pictures of it outside of those in the ad, the police are not going to spend a lot of time on it.

• Like 1

Maybe but if they have a “written receipt” pre dated they could get lucky I guess 

how many people from the market place sales have receipts of purchase? 

Edited by Bunion

3 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Maybe but if they have a “written receipt” pre dated they could get lucky I guess 

Proof is a two-way street. They could also walk down streets pointing at cars saying "That was stolen from me". It doesn't make their claim credible.

Just now, Doctor J said:

Proof is a two-way street. They could also walk down streets pointing at cars saying "That was stolen from me". It doesn't make their claim credible.

It certainly doesn’t but for sure they’re getting something out of it. 
maybe some insurance scam 

Theres definitely something going on. The way I was being asked when selling mid range basses was just weird. Really aggressively wanting the serial numbers. Then after a bit of digging, they were miles away, no way was it a genuine sale question.

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Theres definitely something going on. The way I was being asked when selling mid range basses was just weird. Really aggressively wanting the serial numbers. Then after a bit of digging, they were miles away, no way was it a genuine sale question.

That sounds odd. I did ask somebody for the serial number of a Warwick Bass on Gumtree, just so I could run it past the serial number check on their website and see if it was original and the hardware consistent with the year it was built.

Said person didn't respond to me anyway, sadly. Their loss I guess. I would have bought it had I got the info and it checked out alright.

Edited by 40hz

On 11/03/2022 at 12:14, la bam said:

But, I'm getting the feeling something else is afoot - are people asking for full serial numbers so they can copy them and stick them on cheap copies etc? Even more weirdly people are asking who live nowhere near me, and all basses are clearly listed pick up only.

I think that is the most probable reason, especially from those too far away to buy.

13 hours ago, la bam said:

Looks like my hunch was right....

Quite a few people on facebook now complaining that people are asking for full serial numbers, then reporting the bass in question as stolen and giving the serial number number as 'proof' it was theirs....

Be careful everyone, as if there wasnt enough scams around......

I had a guy ask about the SN so i made a screenshot of the conversation...

I thought the common scam was to nick your photos and advertise it somewhere else. If they also have the serial number it makes them seem like they have the article in their possession. 

If someone wants proof you have the article then send a photo of your bass beside today's newspaper.

If someone asked me for a serial number I'd stop communications with them.  

If I’m going to buy a bass I always ask for the serial number - I use this to check with the manufacturer the original spec, and indeed whether the bass has been recorded as being built by them!! 

I’ve bought used basses from far afield. I’ve never had a seller refuse to give the serial number or even get in the slightest bit defensive about it. 

Im afraid that if a seller was coy about giving the serial number it would raise suspicions with me and I probably wouldn’t consider buying it. 

Do Sansbass units have serial numbers? Seems another good way to sort the wheat from the scammers - the latter probably wouldn’t tell you it (if indeed they even have the unit in their possession. Using the motor car analogy, would you buy a car without knowing the registration number (to carry out various history checks)? 

I really don’t see the need to withhold serial numbers if you’re selling a bass - you find many retailers quote them in the sales blurb, for obvious reasons. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1