Why become a member? ×

New...100% charisma free product available now!

In some episodes of Family Guy they insert vids of this bloke called Conway Twitty who seems to've been a big country star in the 60s-70s. I'd never heard of him before but checking out clips on YT I have to see he comes over as the most uncharismatic performer I think I've ever seen. That said it might be because i was distracted by his bouffant hairdo. There are some performers whose music I care for not one jot but they have that 'something' about them that still makes you watch them. Just wondering about other charisma free singers etc that have still carved out a successful careers and also those with bags of charisma whose music is maybe not that great but who cares.

Laurence Fox. Politics aside, someone posted a video of him ‘performing’ on a TV show. I felt desperately sorry for the two musicians playing with him.

I love watching artists like Michael Stipe or Thom Yorke, two of my favourite performers.

As much as I love Steven Wilson’s music, he’s a very quiet lead person, he doesn’t have a great stage presence.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

Oh god yes. Daniel O'Donnell makes Chris de Burgh look like Freddie Mercury. 

My ex-wife went to see Japan back in the day, she reckoned David Sylvian only moved twice during the entire set: once when he walked on stage to the mic stand at the start, and the second when he walked off stage at the end.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ribbetingfrog said:

Daniel O’Donnell is the greatest example of the charisma free performer.

the old dears love him but I’ve never seen anyone else do soulless like he does.

Just goes to show, like so many things, charisma means different things to different people. I'm not a fan, but sold hundreds of his albums to his huge, loyal fan base who are completely devoted to him. To them he must have charisma by the bucketful.

52 minutes ago, Nicko said:

2I think Kirsty MacColl lacked any kind of charisma.  Fairytale of New York excepted she never sounded like she was interested in singing the songs much.

once saw her live, quite lively and she was really enjoying herself when the encored with the Ramones song "I Wanna Be Sedated"

Roy Orbison is another performer who lacked any sort of charisma when playing live, made Bill Wyman look energetic

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

In some episodes of Family Guy they insert vids of this bloke called Conway Twitty who seems to've been a big country star in the 60s-70s. I'd never heard of him before but checking out clips on YT I have to see he comes over as the most uncharismatic performer I think I've ever seen. That said it might be because i was distracted by his bouffant hairdo. There are some performers whose music I care for not one jot but they have that 'something' about them that still makes you watch them. Just wondering about other charisma free singers etc that have still carved out a successful careers and also those with bags of charisma whose music is maybe not that great but who cares.

ZZ Top, could just stand behind microphone stands all gig, yet still exuded cool and charisma.

5 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

ZZ Top, could just stand behind microphone stands all gig, yet still exuded cool and charisma.

Same as Lemmy. He didn't need to run around the stage. He'd just stand looking up to his mic, singing and playing and he was the greatest rock god ever.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

the Conway Twitty brand of country music is the absolute last. If they'd played any at Guantanomo alongside Barney the Dinosaur theme and Babylon by David Gray you'd admit to anything

I'd tell you where the leader of ISIS is with that sort of punishment. 

30 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Life's too short to think about what you don't like. I don't mind Conway Twitty - after all he did co-write and record the original version of 'It's Only Make Believe'

Nah, plenty of time to fit in a few happy moments not liking things.  But thing is he's an outstandingly charisma free performer considering he was in the entertainment industry. Yep, you don't need to do Dave Lee Roth high kicks but as someone said Lemmy just used to stand relatively still but still exuded charisma...and I'm not even a Motorhead fan!

22 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Lana Del Ray. Really like some of her songs, but no idea why anyone would go and see her live, as she lacks any presence. Although to be fair, there is no real movement you could do to any of her songs so maybe that is the idea.

I saw her at a tiny venue in Bath. Probably 100 person capacity. She was very good but I wouldn't want to see her anywhere much bigger.

26 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Lana Del Ray. Really like some of her songs, but no idea why anyone would go and see her live, as she lacks any presence. Although to be fair, there is no real movement you could do to any of her songs so maybe that is the idea.

I was due to see her year before last, IIRC. I was gutted it was cancelled as I spent ages trying to get a ticket.