Why become a member? ×

Do you lubricate your tuners?

ossyrocks

My P bass tuners are a little stiff. I've read all kinds of stuff on the internet (haven't we all?) about this and I'm still not sure what to use.

Most advice seems to be what NOT to use, WD40, 3 in 1, vaseline etc, because either it won't work, will damage the finish, or will just attract more gunk.

I've seen that some luthiers like to use Teflon/PTFE based lubricant, like the one in the link below, but I'm struggling to find anywhere to buy that.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/cleaners-and-lubricants/tri-flow-pin-point-lubricator/

What do you guys use?

Cheers,

Rob

• Thanks 1

Yes, lubricate them, they need it. Occasionally.

Use some 'dry' lube (TriFlow etc.) on the gearing and the bushings.

For the hoops retaining the worm I use Loctite Superlube in the pen oiler... also good for enclosed Klusons, bridge screws etc.

Do it once and forget for a few years... avoid anything too runny as it leaks everyehere.

14 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Yes, lubricate them, they need it. Occasionally.

Use some 'dry' lube (TriFlow etc.) on the gearing and the bushings.

For the hoops retaining the worm I use Loctite Superlube in the pen oiler... also good for enclosed Klusons, bridge screws etc.

Do it once and forget for a few years... avoid anything too runny as it leaks everyehere.

Cheers for that.

Where did you buy the tri-flow?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought my Ibby in early 1990 & never have I lubricated the machine heads.  I don't know for def, but I would have thought that lubeing them would make them easier to turn, which could potentially allow your strings to detune themselves?

Oh, I've also got my first bass, which I bought in 1984 & never lubed those tuners up either.  Even though the bass is in bits & the pegs in a toolbox, they still work like they should (I was in that box a couple of days ago & checked them).

• Like 1

£6.50 from Amazon I use it on the nut slots for the E string with my dtuners but a bit in the machine heads won’t hurt either. 

Be careful not to use anything that can run into the peg holes and cause the wood to swell. 
A3E126D3-F53B-463A-9D56-CC16D78B820A.thumb.jpeg.8baa772b2dd2928de0486e0a510c8cc6.jpeg

good for locks too 😄

Edited by Bunion

• 2 weeks later...

A quick thought, are all your tuners stiff? If it's only some the cause of stiffness could be the keys have been bashed so that the key-post might be slightly bent thereby rubbing their keepers excessively. I have this problem with one of my vintage basses- have removed the offending tuner and tried straightening in an engineer's vice with limited results (without damaging it further!). Either way I do oil the machines once in a while, I'm ashamed to write this but use motor oil, even grease in the ferrules. There isn't any evidence of damage to the EBs, T'birds or Jazz finish.

Roger Phillips, Kendal

45 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Blimey, been playing bass 40+ years and owned some of my basses for 30 years and I've never once oiled/greased my tuners... I can only imagine how good they'd be if I had!  ;)  

Me neither.  I do remember some bloke on alt.guitar.bass going on about lubricating his machineheads and he was wholeheartedly derided for even raising the question.

I’ve purchased PTFE lubes from box box hardware stores. Graphite is good. I also use Big Bends Nut Sauce on tuners. It works well on nuts. The key is very little lubricant  is needed, use it sparingly.

Closed tuners have a small oiling hole on them. Many don’t realize what that port is for.

Here’s a thought if you really feel you must lube your pegs.

If your tuners are open back, degrease them & then use a dry lube. This will reduce any gunk build up that you will get with a grease or jelly. 
If they’re closed & you don’t know what lube to use, then it may be worth giving them a clean out & using fresh grease. 
Tuners are gears, grease is normally used for that purpose, not oil.