Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Much like anything Star Wars - I’ll give anything RHCP a go.

Just like the constant rumblings about Star Wars’ recent output- I’d rather have it than have nothing.

I am surprised they stir up so much ‘hatred’ in people - but, that’s life isn’t it.

Agreed Andy. Lots of the bands that I discovered in the 80's and 90's are, luckily, still around and putting out new stuff. I'd rather that happen than not. ( same with Star Wars)

But also there are new bands ( some heavily influenced by the sound of the previously mentioned bands) and that's good too, because now there's much more choice and breadth of stuff. 
So if the older bands are stale and not as imaginative to your ears as they once were, there's other alternatives.

As I said in the OP, it's VERY reminiscent of previous material to me, but I'll still sing along when it pops up on the radio.

I remember a good stand up by Dara O' Briain where he says one of the great things about being 40 is not having to be 'hip' or 'cool' in your music tastes, you are free to just enjoy the sounds you like. 😆😆😆

• Like 2

On 04/02/2022 at 11:18, 40hz said:

I love the band to pieces, but I find this pretty bland. It's very 'singy' and in the style they went to around Stadium Arcadium. I want rapping, slap bass and some funk, damn it!

P.s - It seems Anthony has modelled his voice on Hagrid in parts of this song.

Hagrid 👏👏 good spot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/02/2022 at 09:00, sykilz said:

Lets not mention the 'tache......

On 04/02/2022 at 10:27, Doctor J said:

It's inoffensive, yes, but...

I disagree. It's dreadful, but at least he's gone the 'whole 9 yards' and accessorised it with a mullet too.

Marks for effort.

Edited by paul_5

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

if you don’t like Stadium Arcadium, you don’t like Red Hot Chili Peppers!

57 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Dani California and Wet Sand are absolute bangers. 

S'funny - both sound to me (apart from Antwan The Swan's attempted singing) like an average, 70's Americana influenced US rock band. Groove and attitude toned right down in favour of MoR type radio play-friendliness!

So I'd contend that if you don't like this, you don't like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. What you actually like is the Sweet Pimento Peppers!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

S'funny - both sound to me (apart from Antwan The Swan's attempted singing) like an average, 70's Americana influenced US rock band. Groove and attitude toned right down in favour of MoR type radio play-friendliness!

So I'd contend that if you don't like this, you don't like the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. What you actually like is the Sweet Pimento Peppers!

Not my quote though. Flea said it when Stadium Arcadium was released 🤷‍♂️

37 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

"You're only a real fan if you were into them circa 1984". 

😂

Go to a gig and I guarantee nobody is singing when they play 'Me & My Friends'. 

Edited by Supernaut

38 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

😂

Sadly, I was a late comer and didn't discover them till Peel played "Hollywood" in about September '85... Though I immediately ordered RHCP and Freakey Styley on import from our local independent record shop!

And early fans are less likely to go to see stadium Chillis as they'd probably see the MoR Sweet Pimento Peppers - as for me, I wouldn't go to any gig where you need a large video screen just to see the band. Max Chillis gig size I enjoyed was around 2000 at the late-lamented Astoria.

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

😂

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Sadly, I was a late comer and didn't discover them till Peel played "Hollywood" in about September '85... Though I immediately ordered RHCP and Freakey Styley on import from our local independent record shop!

And early fans are less likely to go to see stadium Chillis as they'd probably see the MoR Sweet Pimento Peppers - as for me, I wouldn't go to any gig where you need a large video screen just to see the band. Max Chillis gig size I enjoyed was around 2000 at the late-lamented Astoria.

I'm going to see them later in the year and would absolutely be singing along to any early stuff they play. 

I'd love to see the RHCP again but I'll make do with the SPP.

Also the tickets were a gift so whaddyagonnado? 😉

Ohhh me and my me and my me and my, me and my frieeeends. 

37 minutes ago, 4000 said:

why people should have to prefer the ‘old’ Peppers or the ‘new’ Peppers. Can’t you like both? 

You can like both, or neither... You can also like new, or old exclusively; in other words you can like whatever you like. Similarly, you can also express an opinion on what you like or don't, and you can also say why you do or don't like it!

You can also say you disagree with someone else's opinion and even politely say why!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’m a bit baffled as to why people should have to prefer the ‘old’ Peppers or the ‘new’ Peppers. Can’t you like both? 

I do like both, but I prefer the old. It's not that difficult. 

I like white basses and I like black ones, but I prefer white. 

• Haha 1

On 04/02/2022 at 20:06, Kev said:

It's odd as a lead single.  Their lead singes on every record I can remember have far more energy to it than this.  Makes me a tad concerned about the album. 

Certainly agree it has Californication B Side vibes, which was Frusciante's first album back last time as well.

Nah, remember "I'm with you"?

Raindance Maggie was the first single. Ugh. Fortunately the album had a couple of decent songs that were a lot better.

• Like 1

I really don't like it. There's nothing endearing or Chiliesque about it.

I feel that the Chilis stuff started getting weaker when Anthony started singing more rather than rapping and they started writing more ballads

it started with I Could Have Lied on BSSM until you get to By the Way where pretty much every second song is a slow sort of ballad. I listed to I'm With You Once and it's the only Chilis album I don't own and have no intention of owning.

Mother's Milk on vinyl is incredible. I don't know if it was a new mix but it definitely sounds like there is more going on than the original CD

I enjoyed a lot of The Getaway - Dark Necessities was a great first single, a return to form and indicative of the album. If this song is the same for the new album then I don't think that I will bother

Edited by Delberthot

Musicianship aside, what kind of lyrics are these?? Absolute nonsense throughout. This is an underwhelming return but I can't say I'm surprised as this is what I've come to expect from late era Chilis based on their last couple of albums. This kind of material makes me really miss the Dave Navarro era, which I know was generally not looked upon that fondly once Frusciante came back to the band. I'm going to listen to One Hot Minute once I finish work

49 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

Musicianship aside, what kind of lyrics are these?? Absolute nonsense throughout. 

Really? Are you sure? "Cremation takes its piece of your supply, The night is dressed like noon, A sailor spoke too soon, And China's on the dark side of the moon" Sounds good to me. Compare that to Scooter's lyrics and you will quickly realise how awesome RHCP's lyrics really are:

Start the danger
Rearranger
Not so cool
Mercy
I'm the vapour
On the radar
Get up on the mic and shout it
Yeah, move it
I spit bricks got the kicks in the mix
My pricks long out the rigs
Party of bricks like Jackie X
No diggedy diggedy HP
I'm the bad boy, roll MC, so sexy

Hold your back for the rhythym attack
Coming down on the floor like a maniac
Get down in full effect
Hold your track so clean up the dish
By the way
How much is the fish?

Aaaah! I ramp, me no ramp,
Me no skin,
Me no play, yeah
When me chant 'pon the microphone
And me say with the DJ
Junglists in the place
Junglists on the case
Scooter are you readyyy?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Really? Are you sure? "Cremation takes its piece of your supply, The night is dressed like noon, A sailor spoke too soon, And China's on the dark side of the moon" Sounds good to me. Compare that to Scooter's lyrics and you will quickly realise how awesome RHCP's lyrics really are:

Start the danger
Rearranger
Not so cool
Mercy
I'm the vapour
On the radar
Get up on the mic and shout it
Yeah, move it
I spit bricks got the kicks in the mix
My pricks long out the rigs
Party of bricks like Jackie X
No diggedy diggedy HP
I'm the bad boy, roll MC, so sexy

Get down in full effect
Hold your track so clean up the dish
By the way
How much is the fish?

Aaaah! I ramp, me no ramp,
Me no skin,
Me no play, yeah
When me chant 'pon the microphone
And me say with the DJ
Junglists in the place
Junglists on the case
Scooter are you readyyy?

My brain was torn between reading that like Jez out of peep show, or the mighty boosh.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 11:59, Maude said:

I do like both, but I prefer the old. It's not that difficult. 

I like white basses and I like black ones, but I prefer white. 

I like them both equally. I also like black basses and white basses equally. 😉 But I prefer blue ones. 😁

• Haha 1

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced John Frusciante's heart is in this. Him rejoining for the second time after about 12 years of working on his own music - totally unlike RHCP, came very shortly after reports that he took a big financial hit with a very costly divorce settlement. All of a sudden he's back in the band. The cynic in me says he's just going to stick this out to bank the cash from an extensive tour where ticket prices are getting into Rolling Stones levels of expensiveness, and then go back to doing music he actually cares about.

Edited by EdLib-3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

I have to say I'm not entirely convinced John Frusciante's heart is in this. Him rejoining for the second time after about 12 years of working on his own music - totally unlike RHCP, came very shortly after reports that he took a big financial hit with a very costly divorce settlement. All of a sudden he's back in the band. The cynic in me says he's just going to stick this out to bank the cash from an extensive tour where ticket prices are getting into Rolling Stones levels of expensiveness, and then go back to doing music he actually cares about.

I'm less cynical.  When he left the band in 2007, he assumed the band would end, and was apparantly really surprised when they announced Josh.  He was apparantly speaking with Flea for some time about coming back in.  He seems up for it, you can't just knock out 50 tracks if you aren't.