Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

Keidis is the weak link, for me. All the spunk, sexiness and danger is gone. In their place is a fella trying to make sure parent-teacher meetings don't get awkward. It sounds like he's got nothing left to say and is filling space with meaningless fluff, trying not to upset anybody.

Been a fan of RHCP since 'Uplift' although my interest in them waxes and wanes.

It's funny how I didn't like 'Stadium Arcadium' at all, just didn't click! I dug it out for my 2 nippers recently who are getting into rock and pop and I must say it's not as bad as I thought!

I've met a couple of people who like the Chili's music but hate their live stuff, apparently they aren't very good musicians! I've always thought the raw live show with jammed intros and kooky covers was their strong point 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Watched Tippa my Tongue and it's ok, I think I'm getting old, they're getting old...but if it keeps Michael Jackson off my stereo I'm happy with that!

16 hours ago, Doctor J said:

All the spunk, sexiness and danger is gone

Aye... Keidis' interview, or brief rant, that I posted earlier shows that he no longer has any interest in ramming The Funk into anyone's anal cavity. I'll bet Balzary's still keen, but Frusciante's up for WetWussDadRock along with Antwan The Swan.

To be fair, back in the early 90s when I shared a very fine White Widow/Blueberry cross with Flea he seemed rather keener on keeping it funky than the others!

• Like 1

I tried but they've completely lost what drew me to them in the first place. They're never going to be their younger, crazier selves again but there's no edge any more - I can't actually think of anything nice to say about it. It might be different for someone who has never heard any of their early stuff and likes today's bland pop music but they're probably going to hate Skinny Sweaty Man or Get Up & Jump

Since One Hot Minute, the number of songs per album that I like has got less and less. it seemed to coincide with Anthony wanting to sing more rather than his usual rapping/shouting style. OHM was released in 1995 which is scarily 27 years ago 😲

On 21/08/2022 at 22:27, Leonard Smalls said:

Aye... Keidis' interview, or brief rant, that I posted earlier shows that he no longer has any interest in ramming The Funk into anyone's anal cavity. I'll bet Balzary's still keen, but Frusciante's up for WetWussDadRock along with Antwan The Swan.

To be fair, back in the early 90s when I shared a very fine White Widow/Blueberry cross with Flea he seemed rather keener on keeping it funky than the others!

You can't leave it there...full story please!!

8 hours ago, miles'tone said:

full story please

I was working for the BBC when the Chillis played their 1st Astoria show... So I managed to blag into the aftershow party using my pass with a couple of mates (security didn't know that I wasn't a reporter!). So we spied a dark corner and sparked up a rather fine little number. So Flea's nose led him to us, we chatted for at least half an hour and discovered a mutual love of The Funk - we even went and had a little boogie when Parliament's "Flashlight" came on. Keidis and the others were busy holding court and didn't even notice The Sacred PFunk!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I was working for the BBC when the Chillis played their 1st Astoria show... So I managed to blag into the aftershow party using my pass with a couple of mates (security didn't know that I wasn't a reporter!). So we spied a dark corner and sparked up a rather fine little number. So Flea's nose led him to us, we chatted for at least half an hour and discovered a mutual love of The Funk - we even went and had a little boogie when Parliament's "Flashlight" came on. Keidis and the others were busy holding court and didn't even notice The Sacred PFunk!

That's awesome!! 

Well played! 👏

4 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

Funny seeing RHCP at the MTV awards last night with Kiedis thanking MTV for supporting them for 'a thousand years'. 

And, apparently, Flea said that he loved “cockroaches and dirt and trees, and every human being … deer and deer antlers, and birds and sky".

Well, nuff said 🤪

I am a big fun of RHCP and my favourite album is Stadium arcadium. About this new single - i would say - nothing addorable, but i like the song. Can be listened a lot of times and not get shitty. No God in there but the song is ok.

Edited by nilorius

I too much prefer the older stuff but they won me over in London this year. 

The tickets were a present and I was prepared to be a little disappointed by them. Live they can be a bit shaky, especially Anthony. 

I've not seen them since the One Hot Minute tour with Dave Navarro, so a long time. 

They were fantastic.

Yes it was a big stadium with all the bad bits that go along with that but they were on top form for a bunch of old fellas. Full of energy and Anthony's voice was sounding great. They had huge screens with some really good effects going on while they were playing which added to the whole stadium performance. The whole stage was a screen that started above them, curved in and down behind them, then flowed out and down over the front, with screens either side. 

Favorite moment was Nobody Wierd Like Me, and they performed it with all the energy and vigor that they ever did. 

I'd love them to be more like their 80's selves, but would we then be moaning how they churn out the same old high energy punk funk album every couple of years? 

They've evolved, grown up, grown old. Lots of folks like their older stuff (pre 2000),but I reckon many more like their newer stuff (post 2000).

I didn't watch the gig through a phone lens but I did snatch a little bit just to show my bandmates the screens. 

Yes it's echoey, it's a stadium, but they've still got it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 03/09/2022 at 16:57, TheLowDown said:

It does sound a little bland to me, somewhat overpolished. It reminds me of Pink Floyd post Roger Waters, where it feels like they're making music as a 9-5 job that they hate but they're only doing it to fulfil a contract.

I can't get into any of the more recent material, but I have to say I think they do genuinely have a love for what they do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mokl said:

I can't get into any of the more recent material, but I have to say I think they do genuinely have a love for what they do.

Yup, they may well do, it's just how it sounds to me, so it's subjective. Perhaps I'm making the comparison with them at their best(IMO) during the Roger Water years. RW may have been a reluctant bass player, but I think he wrote quite effective songs.

Edited by TheLowDown
  • Like 1