Why become a member? ×

New Chili Peppers song 2022

sykilz

• 4 weeks later...

It's bang average - like 'Unlimited Love' as an album.

I really don't like this modern template they adhere to, Kiedis trying to sing, big choruses - verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo.

Another thing I really notice is the production. It's super powerful and clean, yet weirdly empty. They need to dirty up the mixing and mastering process. It suits their chaotic sound (as a live band) a lot more. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

indeed...

It's not exactly psychedelic sex funk from heaven, and it's not likely to perpetrate The Funk into anyone's anal cavity (hope you're listening, Keidis!) (as if he gives a toss). 

I remember being in a club somewhere absolutely smashed out of my tree - it wasn’t my usual rock night dive…

It was what I’d call a “Scally dive” - think I’d broke up with a girl and was trying to play the field…

Anyhow, “Zephyr Song” came on and the entire place went mental…

I couldn’t get my head around that song, and I always skip it if it comes on.

I went to see RHCP live for the 5th/6th time soon after - and the crowd was more chavvy/scally…and again, I just couldn’t get my head around it.

They’re just a going through the motions money machine now - and that’s sad. 

I actually enjoyed the stuff they did with Josh. The Getaway specifically.

My daughter keeps on talking about this phenomenon when Running Up That Hill/Master of Puppets crops up following Stranger things bringing the tracks to a new audience - she says “urgh dad, you’re such a bitter gatekeeper…”

Apparently I’m now my own dad who used to slate Oasis as “a crap Beatles cover band” in the 90’s.

Edited by AndyTravis

4 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

indeed...

It's not exactly psychedelic sex funk from heaven, and it's not likely to perpetrate The Funk into anyone's anal cavity (hope you're listening, Keidis!) (as if he gives a toss). 

Forget Blood Sugar....

Mother's Milk is where the Chili Peppers peaked.

They were almost a different band after that, still an excellent one, but they were never that raw and funky again.

9 hours ago, Grassie said:

New song from the upcoming album...

I really quite enjoyed this.

Contrary to other opinions in this thread, I think they are writing EXACTLY the music they want to write, without a thought of what makes money.  All they need to do is release another BSSM album and the old fan base would go wild, but instead they're doing this.

I wish they wouldn't, I wish they would find the love for that raw funk again, but I don't think John especially will ever be in that place again.  Given how close he was to losing his life to drugs, it's probably not a headspace he's keen to get back into again.

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Contrary to other opinions in this thread, I think they are writing EXACTLY the music they want to write, without a thought of what makes money.  All they need to do is release another BSSM album and the old fan base would go wild, but instead they're doing this.

I wish they wouldn't, I wish they would find the love for that raw funk again, but I don't think John especially will ever be in that place again.  Given how close he was to losing his life to drugs, it's probably not a headspace he's keen to get back into again.

californication, by the way and stadium arcadium were all done with a “clean” John Frusciante…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

I want them to release another Uplift Moto Party Plan!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I want them to release another Uplift Moto Party Plan!

At their age, I'm glad they don't! 

Not that they could (Hillel 😗👌).

At their age, It kind of amazes me that they're still alive, together and able to knock out what they do!

Pretty darn inspiring!

Edited by miles'tone
Schpelling

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

californication, by the way and stadium arcadium were all done with a “clean” John Frusciante…

And none of them hold a candle to BSSM, but they're good records in their own right. 

Their sound is just different now, and it's heavily linked to John's music progression, which has never ever been financially driven. Although perhaps his decision to rejoin may have been.  RHCP could release something completely not-safe and it would still sell the same, if not more.

• Like 1