Why become a member? ×

Really annoying basslines

matski

4 hours ago, matski said:

I just heard this song on the radio and the bassline was so annoying I just had to vent my spleen, and what better place than here on BC? :D Anyone else got any examples of basslines that really get on your tits?

People have been hung, drawn and quartered for far lesser offences than that. I hope that one day I can meet the person responsible for it and shake him warmly by the throat. 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Gaye was desperate to have Jamerson play on "What's Going On", and went to several bars to find the bassist. When he did, he brought Jamerson to the studio, but Jamerson was too intoxicated to stay upright, so James played the classic line while lying flat on his back."

That's really wanting someone to play on your record, even if they are full of Metaxa.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StickyDBRmf said:

Rolling Stones "Miss You" Bill Wymans octave bass line sounds like "Aw, Bill, ya gotta get w/ the times, here!" Probably put in his resignation right after.

In my strange little world I too hate the bassline but it's still my favourite Stones toon.

2 hours ago, Rich said:

People have been hung, drawn and quartered for far lesser offences than that. I hope that one day I can meet the person responsible for it and shake him warmly by the throat. 

I’ll join you. Christ. It’s given me heartburn.

No, I don’t know how either, but it definitely coincides with listening to that 😵💫

I'm going to be flamed for this but there are two serial culprits (IMHO) .... many of NWR's bass lines with Wilko, and John Entwistle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Norman Watt-Roy in the Blockheads etc but I find many of those Wilko bass lines too far too busy. I find the same with JE. I'm going to be in a minority of one, but the question was asked.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I find many of those Wilko bass lines too far too busy

I love 'em! Mainly because Wilko basically does the same in every song so Norm has to fill it out...

But then I'm the sort of bass player who got offended by School of Rock; just watched it again the other day and at the end JackBlack tells FlyingV boy to "melt his face" with a solo (average solo follows). Then he says similar to the drummer, keyboard player, each and every backing vocalist in turn, all of whom do their bit. Except the bass player, who stands there like a spare part doing that tedious bass player thing of doin' nowt except 8th note root and fifth, if you're lucky.

I just don't understand why so many bass players feel this is all they can, or are allowed to, do! Since when was musicality and (dare I say it?) showing off only permitted on instruments that aren't bass? After all, getting up on stage is really all about showing off... And if a bass player dares to play more than the allotted amount of notes there's a chorus of tutting from the Staid Hordes Of Square BassPlayers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Except the bass player, who stands there like a spare part doing that tedious bass player thing of doin' nowt except 8th note root and fifth, if you're lucky. I just don't understand why so many bass players feel this is all they can, or are allowed to, do! Since when was musicality and (dare I say it?) showing off only permitted on instruments that aren't bass

I find the sound of a bassist self-consciously showing off fairly boring, but get very excited by music that simply requires virtuosic bass playing eg.

I don't necessarily clock the bass playing at first, because it's all part of the texture (and I'm too busy being swept along by the music to be able to think straight anyway)

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I love 'em! Mainly because Wilko basically does the same in every song so Norm has to fill it out...

But then I'm the sort of bass player who got offended by School of Rock; just watched it again the other day and at the end JackBlack tells FlyingV boy to "melt his face" with a solo (average solo follows). Then he says similar to the drummer, keyboard player, each and every backing vocalist in turn, all of whom do their bit. Except the bass player, who stands there like a spare part doing that tedious bass player thing of doin' nowt except 8th note root and fifth, if you're lucky.

I just don't understand why so many bass players feel this is all they can, or are allowed to, do! Since when was musicality and (dare I say it?) showing off only permitted on instruments that aren't bass? After all, getting up on stage is really all about showing off... And if a bass player dares to play more than the allotted amount of notes there's a chorus of tutting from the Staid Hordes Of Square BassPlayers!

I just don't understand why people feel they have to critique someone else's opinion? I didn't say it was all I could play and no-one tells me what I have to play. You disagree, that's fine. Let me just check I can cope with your derision.

(One nanosecond later) - yes. I can.

17 hours ago, matski said:

I just heard this song on the radio and the bassline was so annoying I just had to vent my spleen, and what better place than here on BC? :D Anyone else got any examples of basslines that really get on your tits?

That was on the radio? 😲