Why become a member? ×

Future Islands

NikNik

I thought that they were going to be absolutely massive when I first heard them 6-7 years ago. They just didn't really kick on to megastardom and I haven't heard anything from them that is as good as Seasons. 

To me they looked and sounded like a US high school band who reformed especially for their 20th anniversary school reunion but then decided to keep going afterwards.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thodrik said:

I thought that they were going to be absolutely massive when I first heard them 6-7 years ago. They just didn't really kick on to megastardom and I haven't heard anything from them that is as good as Seasons. 

To me they looked and sounded like a US high school band who reformed especially for their 20th anniversary school reunion but then decided to keep going afterwards.

Yeh, I thought they were going to be huge, too. But the years have passed and they slipped from my attention. Time to revisit them, I think.

The same guy who recommended Future Islands to me as part of a massive weekend drinking session 6-7 years ago also recommended Eli Paperboy Reed, who at the time was on a  mission to bring the Motown sound back into the 21st century popular music. 

As of 2022 I believe he is still trying and success has been mixed at best. Still this song made me smile at the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

The same guy who recommended Future Islands to me as part of a massive weekend drinking session 6-7 years ago also recommended Eli Paperboy Reed, who at the time was on a  mission to bring the Motown sound back into the 21st century popular music. 

As of 2022 I believe he is still trying and success has been mixed at best. Still this song made me smile at the time.

I was expecting some Plan B but this is full on Motown. Love that!!

I first came across Future Islands at Glastonbury Festival. 

We were just getting some grub near by and I heard them start and thought it was worth further investigation. Not something I'd usually listen to but they were absolutely brilliant. Every member of the band was absolutely giving it everything. The singer is great at working the crowd and somehow he makes death metal style growling sound good in a pop song. Best band of the weekend for me in 2017.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Future Islands are great. I really like the bass player as well, he gets a great tone out of his basses. Here he is using a Precision that sounds very compressed. Would love to know what his setup is.

Love 'em. I think he's like a cross between Matt Berninger and Jack Black!

• Like 3

I love them. Samuel Herring means every word he says, you can see that in their live performances. The album “Singles” is a modern masterpiece but they’ve yet to better it. “The Far Field” comes close, and the new one “As Long As You Are” is very laid back. My fear for them is that they’re in danger of getting stuck with one sound. I’d like to see them stretch out a bit with something  a little different. 
For a similar vibe but less synth-y, try The War On Drugs. 😊

Edited by Grassie
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Grassie said:

I love them. Samuel Herring means every word he says, you can see that in their live performances. The album “Singles” is a modern masterpiece but they’ve yet to better it. “The Far Field” comes close, and the new one “As Long As You Are” is very laid back. My fear for them is that they’re in danger of getting stuck with one sound. I’d like to see them stretch out a bit with something  a little different. 
For a similar vibe but less synth-y, try The War On Drugs. 😊

Yeah, War On Drugs are on my playlist too…

as is this - Sam guest vocal

• Like 2

On 26/01/2022 at 22:33, CJPJ said:

Love 'em. I think he's like a cross between Matt Berninger and Jack Black!

Glad I found this thread, thats tomorrows work soundtracked... 

also slightly OT, I love the national but seeing them live is a weird experience... starts off as a slick stadium band, ends up with Matt as a drunken mess in the audience in a way that would have been amazing in a venue a 10th of the size, bit odd. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

I love the national but seeing them live is a weird experience... starts off as a slick stadium band, ends up with Matt as a drunken mess in the audience in a way that would have been amazing in a venue a 10th of the size, bit odd. 

So true. When he unleashes he’s gone. I think he used to get anxiety / stage fright hence the alcohol taking the edge off. I think it’s just linked to his performance now. Can be super-emotionally charge or just totally smashed!

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Yep yep yep. Love them.

The bass playing reminds me a bit of Ed Nash from Bombay Bicycle Club with some really subtle and effective use of a bit of occasional distortion and compression. He's a great player too. 

He was on it last night, was all over the show - he and the drummer were and absolute machine…

the support act was hilariously bad…

BC7714D8-198C-47FF-AB68-EDBF57007DC5.jpeg

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, EJWW said:

Off to see them tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

They put on a great show - I wish I’d seen them last time as “singles” is my go to Album…

but…

I loved it - and being with my eldest daughter, brother and best mate - we had such a laugh, the first 3 blokes who held her took her to a proper gig (she’s been to stuff I’ve done and a tribute festival) was brilliant.

FE8E9380-F86C-4814-B0EF-FF5C2C3EAFAD.jpeg

• Like 2