Why become a member? ×

I get the "Female drummer" and "Ideally 18-30" kind of ads but..

leschirons

3 hours ago, Bunion said:

As soon as you pulled out the leather strap for your bass they’d know… 

I've got a vegan, imitation leather strap. It looks very close to real leather but not as real as the bacon sandwich that would be in my other hand.

My wife makes vegan horse riding equipment. Very popular at the moment. Veganism is very fashionable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ubit said:

How do they know if someone is vegan? Because they will tell them.

I've never understood this joke.

Apart from the fact that it's very old now, the fact is that vegans have to tell people they are vegan, just the same way as those who don't drink have to tell others they don't drink. 

For the record, I'm not vegan. 

• Like 4

We live in a society where there appears to be this big social engineering experiment going on; (just like Mr Benn) you can be whatever you want to be and we're told we need to be accept that and be respectful of people's religion/gender and be non-discriminating/sexist/ageist etc. 

I'm of the mindset that the whole respect element (in some cases) is a one way street; I'll respect someone's choice to be vegan, but it works the other way too; I don't need to be on the end of a lecture if it's my choice to eat a burger.  (Yes, it's happened...bleedin' guitarists, tsk.)

Getting off my soapbox, do you want a decent vocal performance from a carnivore or some Yoko Ono type screeching because it ticks a box?  I just don't get it.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, leschirons said:

Obviously, they'll be hoping to find a vegan with a great voice but I guess I'm sort of intrigued that if there has to be some sort of compromise, on which side would it be?

A committed vegan who can sing, is maybe different from a great singer, who happens to be vegan.  I'm not making fun of this. I really am intrigued by it all.

It mostly sounds like you think there's maybe 1 or 2 vegans in the world 😂

Si

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cetera said:

Any hope of befriending these people could only end it heartache. As Peter Griffin once said.... " you don't make friends with salad".... ;)

That was Homer Simpson (backing vocals by Bart) in one of the episodes where Lisa became a vegetarian. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

do you want a decent vocal performance from a carnivore or some Yoko Ono type screeching because it ticks a box

I mean, there are vegan folk who are excellent singers and carnivores who 'screech like Yoko Ono'.....what's your point?

Also, Yoko Ono wasn't/isn't vegan, so weird reference.

Si

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I've never understood this joke.

Apart from the fact that it's very old now, the fact is that vegans have to tell people they are vegan, just the same way as those who don't drink have to tell others they don't drink. 

For the record, I'm not vegan. 

It's the same one as how do you know if someone ran a marathon. 

It's because rather than quietly getting on with being vegan, they are usually very boastful and evangelical about it and tell everyone even if theyre not interested and don't need to know. They want everyone to join the cause, as is the case in the OP advert. 

BTW - did I tell you I've run a marathon...

Edited by TimR
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's because rather than quietly getting on with being vegan, they are usually very boastful and evangelical about it and tell everyone even if theyre not interested and don't need to know. They want everyone to join the cause, as is the case in the OP advert. 

Ridiculous sweeping statement that you MUST know is untrue?!
Any preference/ideology has it's militant arm, the same way that it also has it's quiet 'just get on with it' contingent. 
I suspect that a lot of people know more vegans than they realise......because most don't bang on about it like a few think they do.

Si

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

I don't drink. 😈

"And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.
Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think:
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not..."

A Shropshire Lad - A.E. Housman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Ridiculous sweeping statement that you MUST know is untrue?!
Any preference/ideology has it's militant arm, the same way that it also has it's quiet 'just get on with it' contingent. 
I suspect that a lot of people know more vegans than they realise......because most don't bang on about it like a few think they do.

Si

You do understand the concept of a joke.

You take one person's behaviour and you stretch it to extremes to lampoon it.

That's the current problem with cancel culture that Maureen Lipman is trying to get through. People are too sensitive and will take offense before they've even examined why something is funny. 

Til Death do us Part. Money Python Life of Brian, Fawlty Towers, all extremely funny. The only people offended are the people who don't understand the way humour was applied.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TimR said:

You do understand the concept of a joke.

You take one person's behaviour and you stretch it to extremes to lampoon it.

That's the current problem with cancel culture that Maureen Lipman is trying to get through. People are too sensitive and will take offense before they've even examined why something is funny. 

Til Death do us Part. Money Python Life of Brian, Fawlty Towers, all extremely funny. The only people offended are the people who don't understand the way humour was applied.

*The fact that you feel the need to explain humour, as if you have access to some universal truth that others do not, while ignoring your lack of ability to 'apply' that humour (presenting it in written form, that allows for no emotive/face to face context, to an audience that hasn't overtly subscribed to your way of thinking) makes me feel safe in the knowledge that it wasn't a good joke.

Cheers :)

Si

*All the above is an extremely funny joke that you might not understand because it's applied so well.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's the same one as how do you know if someone ran a marathon. 

BTW - did I tell you I've run a marathon...

Tim - that only happens if you read the Daily Mail on a regular basis... 

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Well, I don't drink but only tell people I don't drink when either 1) the topic has come up, such as here or 2) they offer (or insist) that I have a drink. I am not a vegan, my wife is, and although I get the humour, the animosity is almost always the other way round, ie, offended about her food choices, so honestly having seen it that way round, I can get the advert.

In fact, I don't see why it is so different wanting a vegan bass player if you are a vegan in a group (gives you markets maybe?) than wanting a female or 18-30 year old. It just trying to get someone on the same mindset.

I mean if I could get a group that didn't drink I would be pretty happy, but this is England and I know some things aren't possible!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1