Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2022 - Sunday 9th October

scrumpymike

17 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

BASH NOTICE I hesitate to bring the (new) 'c'-word into what is meant to be - and will be - a joyous occasion BUT...

It's getting to the time of year when we can expect the covid numbers to go up again. If you're not feeling right, please consider taking a test before coming to the Bash as a precautionary measure. Mentioning no names (me!), some of us are getting towards our 'best before' date, so RESPECT please 🙂. We'll make sure there's ventilation and plenty of sanitizer on hand, so you can put some on YOUR hands. If you want to wear a mask, please bring one.

Anyone who's pre-paid but doesn't attend cos they're not feeling well WILL get their money back, no questions asked.

OK, that's my last word on the subject, I promise.

Thanks for saying this Mike, my wife is currently very ill and as a result is vulnerable. I'm going to have to isolate from her and test every day after the bash until I can be confident I haven't picked anything up. I was thinking of dropping out but this gives me confidence. It's a big airy room and there is no reason we can't all keep each other safe. Thankyou everyone else too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a cheerier note @Chienmortbband I are hoping to carry out some measurement of amplifier frequency responses. We'd like to settle some of the debates we've been having this year such as where is flat on the eq and do all amps have built in HPF/deep bass filtering. It would be interesting to see which amps colour the sound and which ones just amplify.

One burning question is are the TC BAM and the Warwick Gnome identical and does the Elf have Trace magic? I have a Gnome but if you have one of the others it would be good to test them. If you have anything else it would all be interesting and hopefully we can tell you for certain your amps response and even what response you are setting when you eq. Should be interesting.

Personally I'm bringing an RCF ART745, I'm trying to bring all the BC home build designs to try: the Mk1 12 and the 'easy build 12', other people are bringing the MK2 and Mk3. I'll have the 110T and the House Jam micro cab, a new 1x8 and a 1x15 prototype.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Phil Starr said:

Thanks for saying this Mike, my wife is currently very ill and as a result is vulnerable. I'm going to have to isolate from her and test every day after the bash until I can be confident I haven't picked anything up. I was thinking of dropping out but this gives me confidence. It's a big airy room and there is no reason we can't all keep each other safe. Thankyou everyone else too.

Agreed. I'm on the cusp of Covid vulnerability and still very much taking precautions, enough to occasionally waver about attending, but  @scrumpymike's thoughtful post, along with having had a booster three weeks back has put me at ease 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Personally I'm bringing an RCF ART745, I'm trying to bring all the BC home build designs to try: the Mk1 12 and the 'easy build 12', other people are bringing the MK2 and Mk3. I'll have the 110T and the House Jam micro cab, a new 1x8 and a 1x15 prototype.

It'll be DIY heaven!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BassBod said:

Would an SWR Basic 350 or an old Trace AH150 help?  Neither has any HPF or limiting that I'm aware of....

Actually it would be interesting to campare some older designs with newer ones. This is just frequency response though :)

On 03/10/2022 at 15:38, TheRev said:

It's a confirmed non-gig weekend and Mrs Rev has given approval, so I'm there.

If anyone is interested in having a go on double bass, I'll bring one, otherwise it will be the Italia Rimini and the Chowny SWB fretless (which is also for sale...), plus my MAS45 cab/Techamp Puma/Fishman pre gig setup.

For the raffle I have a Tech21 BassCompactor compressor.

Dave

Having a double bass to play through the smaller speaker cabs would be interesting, but not if it causes you loads of hassle.

David

On 03/10/2022 at 15:38, TheRev said:

It's a confirmed non-gig weekend and Mrs Rev has given approval, so I'm there.

If anyone is interested in having a go on double bass, I'll bring one, otherwise it will be the Italia Rimini and the Chowny SWB fretless (which is also for sale...), plus my MAS45 cab/Techamp Puma/Fishman pre gig setup.

For the raffle I have a Tech21 BassCompactor compressor.

Dave

I'd love you to try the DB with our basschat designs and to have the chance to chat to you about a possible future speaker design specifically for a proper bass. I love a challenge :)

16 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

On a cheerier note @Chienmortbband I are hoping to carry out some measurement of amplifier frequency responses. We'd like to settle some of the debates we've been having this year such as where is flat on the eq and do all amps have built in HPF/deep bass filtering. It would be interesting to see which amps colour the sound and which ones just amplify.

One burning question is are the TC BAM and the Warwick Gnome identical and does the Elf have Trace magic? I have a Gnome but if you have one of the others it would be good to test them. If you have anything else it would all be interesting and hopefully we can tell you for certain your amps response and even what response you are setting when you eq. Should be interesting.

I plan to bring along my BC110 MiniMax combo and my house jam 1x6 BAM200 micro combo. Both available for the cab shootouts and measurement. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

I'd love you to try the DB with our basschat designs and to have the chance to chat to you about a possible future speaker design specifically for a proper bass. I love a challenge :)

I might bring the SWR Baby Blue (2x8” combo). Best double bass option I’ve found.  Mines got modern Eminence speakers, but sounds pretty much the same as the Bag End/Eminence ones they replaced. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Will have my bass terror and an elf. Also a Hotone Nano perhaps 🤣

• Like 1

For the benefit of the DIYers attending, my band has managed to write off a couple of speaker enclosures, but I salvaged the drive units - I can bring them if anyone has a use for them:

I have the speaker and crossover from a Soundlab 12 inch PA speaker and the speaker, crossover and horn driver from a Studiospares Crescendo 10 inch speaker.

David

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Mottlefeeder said:

For the benefit of the DIYers attending, my band has managed to write off a couple of speaker enclosures, but I salvaged the drive units - I can bring them if anyone has a use for them:

I have the speaker and crossover from a Soundlab 12 inch PA speaker and the speaker, crossover and horn driver from a Studiospares Crescendo 10 inch speaker.

David

Very generous David.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

You know what, I might just bring my Jabba bass, leave it with Jabba with his other basses and concentrate on taking pics on the day. No one is particularly interested in the QSC K.12.2 are they..?

I think @Phil Starrmight have something to say, but I would like to hear a K12.2.