Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2022 - Sunday 9th October

scrumpymike

Do we want a shootout this year?

In past years it hasn’t been great in the side room where the acoustics are awful. I’m thinking of trying a shootout in the main hall for maybe 20-30 mins. We could compare speakers or amps. It could then involve everyone but would disrupt normal proceedings. I could do it after lunch when you’ll be to full to move anyway 😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil Starr said:

In past years it hasn’t been great in the side room where the acoustics are awful. I’m thinking of trying a shootout in the main hall for maybe 20-30 mins. We could compare speakers or amps. It could then involve everyone but would disrupt normal proceedings. I could do it after lunch when you’ll be to full to move anyway 😊

I like that idea. Always interesting to hear these comparisons. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I like that idea. Always interesting to hear these comparisons. 

Thanks for posting Phil. I liked this idea when you ran it by me via PM and - subject to interest from others - I still do. The side room could revert to a (relatively!) quiet space for low-volume playing through small amp or headphones. Also ideal for a prospective seller to demo kit FS to a prospective buyer.

5 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

Great idea 👍

OK that sounds good 

Ive just bought some RCF ART745’s so how about an FRFR versus others comparison. I’ve two identical PA amps so running four speakers against the RCFs would be simple.

Alternatively I could run four amps through the most neutral speaker I can find to do an amp shootout 

Your call

• Like 1

Is anyone bringing a Wal? I'd like to know what all the fuss is about.

Also, would there be any interest is a sort of "Bass Weigh" station? I was thinking along the lines of bringing a luggage scale and a laptop with a spreadsheet already written. Weigh your bass, add it to the sheet (Make,scale, #strings, wood or other details if known maybe), and then we'll have some stats and charts showing possibly interesting information. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richard R said:

Also, would there be any interest is a sort of "Bass Weigh" station? I was thinking along the lines of bringing a luggage scale and a laptop with a spreadsheet already written. Weigh your bass, add it to the sheet (Make,scale, #strings, wood or other details if known maybe), and then we'll have some stats and charts showing possibly interesting information. 

Good Idea. 

On 10/09/2022 at 11:59, Phil Starr said:

Excellent idea.

I'll bring my C2 and my AT212.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Richard R said:

I played a Wal many years ago at the Bass Centre. Sounded and felt solid but very heavy.

Sad nerdy person that I am, I've already done a spreadsheet for the s-s basses I've owned or been interested in. I can modify it if anyone has any suggestions.

Short-scale bass comp.xlsx

Edited by scrumpymike

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Sad nerdy person that I am, I've already done a spreadsheet for the s-s basses I've owned or been interested in. I can modify it if anyone has any suggestions.

Short-scale bass comp.xlsx 14.96 kB · 2 downloads

That's comprehensive. 😁

I was thinking of fewer columns with more numerical analysis. Based on a similar thing donkey's years ago, if it takes more than a minute to enter details then people won't bother.

I'll mock up something over the weekend and see what people think.

25 minutes ago, wrinkleygit said:

Unfortunately Mrs Wrinkley’s health has taken a turn for the worse, so it’s looking unlikely that I’m going to make it this year. Having said that, her planned operation was cancelled literally at the last minute on Friday so anything could change yet !!!

Get well soon Mrs Wrinkly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wrinkleygit said:

Unfortunately Mrs Wrinkley’s health has taken a turn for the worse, so it’s looking unlikely that I’m going to make it this year. Having said that, her planned operation was cancelled literally at the last minute on Friday so anything could change yet !!!

Get well soon Mrs Wrinkley. All the best.

• Thanks 1