Why become a member? ×

Bassist's Basses That You Liked?

Linus27

7 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Never played one of those but I’d like to try one, nice deep bass from what I’ve heard 

I owned one for a few years in the 90s, bought cheaply from a second-hand shop on the Newmarket Road, Cambridge. It weighed a ton and sounded rather dull to me, certainly not as good as my pre EB Ray.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Alex123432 said:

Always liked the look of John McVie's one in The Dance tour, but no idea what bass it is.

Screenshot 2022-12-19 132507.jpg

19 hours ago, Rich said:

Looks like it could be a Rick Turner..?

Good call, @Rich. A quick images search seems to indicate it’s a Turner Renaissance.

• Like 1

In 1998 the Bass Cellar, Denmark street, had Martin Kemp's JG Wal, with the leather pickguard, for sale. That was the best sounding bass I'd heard up to that point. It had the switches (series/parallel?) on the pickups. I was told it was sold to someone in Wales.

I asked Pete Stevens to build me a 5 string bass that sounded that good and he said he couldn't. Apparently there were subtle changes to the sound when they had to switch to using metric wire in the pickups.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 20/12/2022 at 23:28, chris_b said:

In 1998 the Bass Cellar, Denmark street, had Martin Kemp's JG Wal, with the leather pickguard, for sale. That was the best sounding bass I'd heard up to that point. It had the switches (series/parallel?) on the pickups. I was told it was sold to someone in Wales.

I asked Pete Stevens to build me a 5 string bass that sounded that good and he said he couldn't. Apparently there were subtle changes to the sound when they had to switch to using metric wire in the pickups.

It may be a relatively minor aside but those leather scratchplates on the older Wals always looked awful to me, a nightmarish hangover from the ghastly 70's that should have been binned 😂

On 21/09/2021 at 19:08, NJE said:

I am currently loving everything Lee Sklar. His two basses seem like they could cover everything. So shocked Fender haven’t jumped on the band wagon with his precision, and this Dingwall shape in a solid colour is incredible.

image.thumb.jpeg.db0ecd74223ed14f3ff39664c6a1c510.jpeg

Love this bass, in fact I asked Limelight to make me one...It's the one I pick up for gigs.  Sigs are all mates, musicians and a good few BCers that I have met.  More get added each time I'm out with the bass.

278774419_LSB(1of3).thumb.jpg.c7942d5961af0359d2dd109695925ffe.jpg

Edited by ead
  • Like 7