Why become a member? ×

P Bass pickups.?

bubinga5

45 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

Chris your the 5594 owner right.?

Hi, I was, but sold it about 4 years ago due to the weight! It was a very early bass with the original Lakland Barts and I forget which Bart pre amp, but the sound was one of the best, which is why that bass was my go-to for nearly 14 years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I bought one of these .... to pop into my Matt Freeman .... so I could do an okay Ibanez Blazer impersonation .... :thank_you:

Would this be a bad time to tell you Ibanez didn't use DiMarzios? It was their own 'Super P-4' - a very good DiMarzio clone, probably made by Maxon. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Would this be a bad time to tell you Ibanez didn't use DiMarzios? It was their own 'Super P-4' - a very good DiMarzio clone, probably made by Maxon. :ph34r:

You have already told me this, that's why I used the word 'impersonation' – I know that no element is correct, but most are close enough, and the overall effect is vaguely convincing. It amuses me that I'm using a P to impersonate a Japanese P bass, and a Dimarzio to impersonate a Dimarzio-copy 🙃

• Thanks 1

For aftermarket pickups, I really like Dimarzio, EMG, and Bartolini. In fact, I'm currently trying to decide between putting Dimarzio Relentless or EMG LC in my Precision. Bartolini pickups are some of my favourites but I find Dimarzio and EMG to be a bit more aggressive. 

I like what I've heard from Avedissian Pickups too.

I took a gamble recently with specifying a DiMarzio model P for a P-bass build, mostly based on looks, and so far I love it. It has a bit of a reputation for being dark, but I disagree. It may have a bit less super high freq chime, but it's plenty clear, very focused and somewhat aggressive. I've yet to try it with flats, but so far with rounds it's my fav. 

IMG_20210804_190331.jpg

IMG_20210804_190803.jpg

Edited by such
  • Like 5

OK so far I have some suggestions from you wonderful people.

Kent Armstrong

Aguilar

Dimarzio

Pribora

Lindy 

Fender 62 CS

Bartolini's

Im now lost. I do know I've always loved Aguilars warm sound in every amp ive had. Ive owned so may basses with Bartolini's I have Aguilars in my Nordstrand soooooo. Im intrigued by Lindy Fralin's tbh.  had them in a Jazz bass once and they were superb. I feel like I'm asking what should I have for tea tonight to be honest

Edited by bubinga5

10 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

@such Nice... I'm having to make do with some cheapy cream covers for the Ex Sire Pickup kindly donated by @Rumple

Got some cheap Jazz Knobs, (Large for V, Small for T...) and some Strat Knobs both sets in Cream to choose from... trying to track down a cream thumb rest, or go matching wood.

20210817_220921.thumb.jpg.b584e7b983b24cbd6aa114cd05954bdb.jpg

That’s a nice body - where’s that from?

36 minutes ago, MartinB said:

That's some nice-looking tortoiseshell - it's got some depth to it. Can I ask where you got the scratchplate from?

Thanks, it's called Montreux and my builder gets them from Japan I believe. It is indeed proper translucent celluloid with a bit of the 3D thing going on in good light. It was fairly direct evening light on the photos, in most conditions it looks much darker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, such said:

Thanks, it's called Montreux and my builder gets them from Japan I believe. It is indeed proper translucent celluloid with a bit of the 3D thing going on in good light. It was fairly direct evening light on the photos, in most conditions it looks much darker. 

Torlam on this page. Good find http://www.montreuxguitars.com/us/datalist/selectCate2.php?cate1=PICKGUARDS&cate2=PBPickguard

• Thanks 1