Why become a member? ×

Singers who don't understand how music works

Nail Soup

Same problem here. Singers? Dont get me started. I firmly believe that most of the wannabes in the semi pro world think singing is the easy part and all you need is a microphone, or not even that. Turn up at a rehearsal space and the PA and mic will be provided. The number of "Singers" we have auditioned who have no gear, not even a mic, no idea when to come in, no phrasing or dynamics, or indeed couldn't carry a song in a bucket is astonishing. All I hope for is the basics, have at least your own mic, learn the lyrics and sing in tune. You dont have to be Billie Holliday FFS.

• Like 2

My (admittedly limited) experience of pub/band singers is the majority fall under the 'tuned shouting' description. And 'tuned' is not necessarily the same as 'in tune'. Too many think that singing is not a serious technical skill and you can just 'sing'. As with any instrument, there will be the odd person who can just wing it and get away with it - but not many. There's a lot of technique to singing properly to protect you voice and to enable you to sing for a protracted period without tiring or injury

• Like 3

We used to rehearse in my spare room. We rehearsed pretty loudly. Almost at the volume that we would be playing on stage without the PA. I would sing at my normal volume but my mate, the guitarist, wouldn't practise his backing vocals, or if he did it was in a stupid voice to try and get a laugh out of the rest of the band. It used to drive me up the wall as he wasn't practised for the gig and some of the live backing vocals were rotten. I blew up at him one night and everyone thought I was being the knob, but I think all instruments including vocals should be rehearsed properly.

• Like 5

Similar happened in an old band I was in, drummer used to sing in silly voices as a “laugh” at rehearsals. Not only was he unprepared when we gigged but it put me off something rotten as not being the best singer even in my living room (and I’m alone at present) I need in tune vocals to pitch to. In the end we just asked him to not bring his mic (asking him to not sing would have been pointless as he wasn’t).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Similar happened in an old band I was in, drummer used to sing in silly voices as a “laugh” at rehearsals. Not only was he unprepared when we gigged but it put me off something rotten as not being the best singer even in my living room (and I’m alone at present) I need in tune vocals to pitch to. In the end we just asked him to not bring his mic (asking him to not sing would have been pointless as he wasn’t).

Yeah and our other rhythm guitarist didn't bother at all at practice but expected to sing live. I have had people say you shouldn't let him sing he's rotten. We eventually had to turn his mic down when we played live. He never seemed to notice. I think it made him feel better. He was playing acoustic which was ok at rehearsal but got lost under the lead guitarist's loud playing. He also had the most miserable look on his face. Again people used to say what is the point of him being in the band? I always thought the same but my massively passive aggressive guitarist mate always got his way and he stayed. 

I can do backing vocals to some songs but on others I can never find the right pitch. I just establish what I can sing to and shut up for the rest.

The club band that I played with for some years had a singer who was a right p!sshead. He would randomly swap verses and choruses, and start vocals seven bars into a 12 bar solo. The guitarist and I would just exchange glances and we (and the drummer) would follow. We kept getting gigs though. He used to ask if anyone in the audience would like to sing a song and then we'd be expected to play whatever the random drunk who wanted to sing fancied singing.

Mrs Zero had a problem with some of my songs, where the vocals start before the one (ie. at the end of the preceding bar), insisting that nobody else did that. Examples aren't hard to find though, and she eventually got it.

Tambourines - rule 1 is never leave a tambourine within reach of the audience. It's amazing how they can be heard over PA and backline, generally out of time. Just get rid of the sodding things.

38 minutes ago, tauzero said:

...Mrs Zero had a problem with some of my songs, where the vocals start before the one (ie. at the end of the preceding bar), insisting that nobody else did that. Examples aren't hard to find though, and she eventually got it..

That's an anacrusis; examples for illustration (explaining to someone how to do it, for instance...)...

At the beginning of the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine", "In the" is the anacrusis, while "town" falls on the downbeat.
At the beginning of the Beatles' "All My Loving", "Close your" is the anacrusis, while "eyes" falls on the downbeat.

• Thanks 1

On 01/07/2021 at 18:32, zbd1960 said:

My (admittedly limited) experience of pub/band singers is the majority fall under the 'tuned shouting' description. And 'tuned' is not necessarily the same as 'in tune'. Too many think that singing is not a serious technical skill and you can just 'sing'. As with any instrument, there will be the odd person who can just wing it and get away with it - but not many. There's a lot of technique to singing properly to protect you voice and to enable you to sing for a protracted period without tiring or injury

And that's before we even touch on the whole art of proper mic technique. Some people are totally clueless there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Gawd...I'll certainly give you Motown !..

I was thinking more in a present day, band type idiom, difficult to imagine tambourine being other than naff.. ;)

We’re just about to do Cars by Gary Numan which has a tambourine in it (we’re doing the Nine Inch Nails version btw) so our keyboard player is having to programme one in. Much better than someone waving one about out of time with the rest of the band.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Gawd...I'll certainly give you Motown !..

I was thinking more in a present day, band type idiom, difficult to imagine tambourine being other than naff.. ;)

I'd say that the problem is not the tambourine.

The problem is people have no idea how to play it, but think it must be easy, which it's not.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

That's an anacrusis; examples for illustration (explaining to someone how to do it, for instance...)...

At the beginning of the Beatles' "Yellow Submarine", "In the" is the anacrusis, while "town" falls on the downbeat.
At the beginning of the Beatles' "All My Loving", "Close your" is the anacrusis, while "eyes" falls on the downbeat.

I can't remember what I quoted to her, but "Daydream believer" popped into my head while I was writing that post.

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

I can't remember what I quoted to her, but "Daydream believer" popped into my head while I was writing that post.

Well, it's well known that The Monkees were clones of the Fab Four, anyway, so it makes sense. -_-

xD

6 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

I'd say that the problem is not the tambourine.

The problem is people have no idea how to play it, but think it must be easy, which it's not.

It's one of the great examples of the Dunning-Kruger effect at work, generally amplified by alcohol.