Why become a member? ×

Singers who don't understand how music works

Nail Soup

3 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

So for your enjoyment you go into a pub to play songs you don't like for people, or is this a job? Because if that was my only option then I would just get together with some mates and play songs I wanted and do free gigs without charging.

What I find increadable is that according to this thread, where several posters live apparently even though we have had 70 years of Pop music charts, which must be many thousands of songs, there aren't 30 songs people can find to play that people would enjoy without playing oasis.

Strangely, my band, and the band before it, and the band we are putting together at the moment (the last two not by my choice) manage to fit into this most rare 'don't play any oasis numbers' niche. And somehow we get invited back month after month.

I am so glad I don't live in your areas where bands are only allowed in if they are playing certain songs.  Luckily in my area, the cover bands can all do different popular songs, so have some kind of individuality. I am sure some of them do oasis (well, they must, there is an oasis tribute band around here) although I can only think of one that I have seen that did. I guess this is a very niche area.

I've only ever played an Oasis song once by request at a wedding (Morning Glory) because they picked the setlist, and I really can't recall ever hearing any other bands covering them despite their popularity.

Most members of the cover bands I've played in are fans of theirs too but their songs never get past the long list for whatever reason, I think they're more suited to solo acoustic gigs and personally think there's much better choices for a band to play.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

A local guy I occasionally play with does Massage In A Brothel!

I was in a band that used to do that 25 years ago (not every time, just the occasional line to see if any punters noticed)! 

Edited by peteb

We played for enjoyment but we got paid for it. It's not hard to understand that we liked playing for our own fun. Thats why you do it in the first place. Obviously getting paid is the bonus but we wouldn't want to lug all that gear down every week and not get paid. So anyway, we play and we get paid. If we play music that the punters don't like they will leave the pub meaning the pub won't make as much money so they won't ask us back. Therefore we are forced to do songs the punters like rather than what we like. We ended up playing mostly songs I don't like. I enjoyed playing but didn't enjoy most of the songs. I put up with it because having lots of people clap and cheer after you perform a song is why I started doing this in the first place.

On 08/07/2021 at 18:43, ubit said:

... having lots of people clap and cheer after you perform a song is why I started doing this in the first place.

Maybe that's where we differ.? I (nor my partners in crime...) are not so much moved by the clapping and cheering (in fact it's more often an embarrassment...). I started playing because I enjoy making music with other like-minded musicians; to give ourselves a raison d'être, we rehearse, and folk ask us to come and play. Apparently they, too, enjoy watching and listening to what we do, and do, indeed, clap and cheer. They clap and cheer, and ask us back, with the repertoire we've rehearsed. We wouldn't rehearse a set with songs we don't like, so that's what we play when we play out. We get asked back more often than my health permits now, and, because we don't ask for (nor want...) payment, we can choose which invitations to accept. We don't want to be out every week-end, either, so half-a-dozen dates a year was about our maximum, anyway. Different strokes, and all that. It's all good; we don't all do the same things for the same reasons for the same audiences. I've other anecdotes about getting the party up and dancing, but that's for another time. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

It's a problem no matter what the genre - pub band or amateur choir / orchestra... what puts bums on sits is not necessarily what you would most enjoy performing... but you have to do that stuff to enable the organisation to continue to exist...  

Edited by zbd1960
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Just for clarity, I wasn't being serious about threatening to quit. I play what they tell me to play :)

I mostly do, but I have put in a preemptive veto on "Red red whine". We do some early UB40 stuff though, from when they were good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Get the singer to change the lyrics to "Socks on Fire". The punters will never notice the difference if (s)he puts a bit of an American twang on it and you can all have a little private chuckle.

I played in a club band with a Black Country vocalist. She used to introduce it as "Youm sex am on foyir".

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, zbd1960 said:

It's a problem no matter what the genre - pub band or amateur choir / orchestra... what puts bums on sits is not necessarily what you would most enjoy performing... but you have to do that stuff to enable the organisation to continue to exist...  

yeah, but you don't get audiences in the Albert Hall drunkenly shouting "play Beethoven's ninth..." at the conductor😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

yeah, but you don't get audiences in the Albert Hall drunkenly shouting "play Beethoven's ninth..." at the conductor😄

I don't think you can compare the Albert Hall with the Dog and Duck pub. The Albert Hall will attract people who like whatever music is being put on. They will pay in advance and come and take their SEATS which are provided. The dog and Duck puts on a poor choice of band and people start coming in, hear a couple of songs they don't like and go somewhere else. The proprietor of the Dog and Duck thinks that band stinks, I am not booking them again. OR, he has a great night with people singing and dancing along to the music and he goes right, what are you lads doing next Saturday?

6 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its just the Dog and Ducks near Ubits area, all the other ones are fine!

i used to live near a pub called the Duck, but they didn't have any live music at all.  i guess it's the dog that owns the PA.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Waddo Soqable said:

You used to get them hollering and being daft at the "Last Night Of The Proms" tho...

Sorry to be that guy, but it says on the rota that I’m on classical music nitpicking duty this week. 

Edited by nekomatic
  • Thanks 1

The singer in one of the bands I used to play in didn't have a clue. He persisted until he got things right though. Once in rehearsals the guitarist and I were working something out and we asked the singers opinion. He said "Don't ask me, how am I supposed to know? I'm a singer. My job is to shout and look pretty" 😂😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1