Why become a member? ×

Singers who don't understand how music works

Nail Soup

34 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Anyone chucking anything out of a pram about doing Oasis covers is missing out on happy punters and big singalongs; like it or not, they're the Beatles for at least a couple of newer generations...

That's quite true, and certainly in my case there are plenty of other Oasis songs I really like - Roll With It, Don't Look Back In Anger, Shakermaker, Songbird, Little By Little, Cigarettes and Alcohol, Champagne Supernova... it's just Wonderwall that sets my teeth on edge. 

• Like 1

We used to cover Don't Look Back In Anger, Roll With It and She's Electric. They were always well received  by the civilians in the pubs. I don't care what anyone says about Oasis and by the way I agree, they are twatts, but they came up with some decent songs.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Speaking of Oasis, our covers band have just told me that we're going to be doing an acoustic version of 'wonderwall'.

I've threatened to quit or just refuse to play it, 

John Lennon managed to play over 100 takes of Ob-la-di ob-la-da, you might survive 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

Anyone chucking anything out of a pram about doing Oasis covers is missing out on happy punters and big singalongs; like it or not, they're the Beatles for at least a couple of newer generations...

Literally that makes me happier than you could imagine to miss out. The one thing that would make me want to stop gigging is a group of drunk blokes screaming wonderwall at the top of their voice. We do sex on fire as it is, and I never understood peoples love for that, but no to oasis.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Literally that makes me happier than you could imagine to miss out. The one thing that would make me want to stop gigging is a group of drunk blokes screaming wonderwall at the top of their voice. We do sex on fire as it is, and I never understood peoples love for that, but no to oasis.

But why though, what is it about that scenario in particular?

39 minutes ago, Judo Chop said:

But why though, what is it about that scenario in particular?

It makes my skin crawl. Loads of drunk blokes spilling beer everywhere and singing a soulless mindless song at the top of their completely out of tune voice. Absolutely hate it. Its a situation I would have to leave, which is tricky if you are in the band. 

I hate oasis with a passion, and always have (their music, although I can't say I am a fan of them either), just something in the simplicity and the whining vocals that to me is like nails down a blackboard (except I don't actually have a problem with nails down a blackboard). It makes me irrationally angry, in the same was as eating noises do.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

It makes my skin crawl. Loads of drunk blokes spilling beer everywhere and singing a soulless mindless song at the top of their completely out of tune voice. Absolutely hate it. Its a situation I would have to leave, which is tricky if you are in the band. 

I hate oasis with a passion, and always have (their music, although I can't say I am a fan of them either), just something in the simplicity and the whining vocals that to me is like nails down a blackboard (except I don't actually have a problem with nails down a blackboard). It makes me irrationally angry, in the same was as eating noises do.

I think I might have written this. 

I mean, I know you wrote it, but the words came straight out of my mind. 😂

I absolutely loathe Oasis. Trite nasal whiney drivel sung by an absolute w@nker. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Speaking of Oasis, our covers band have just told me that we're going to be doing an acoustic version of 'wonderwall'.

Threatening to leave a band or refusing to play is just childish in my opinion. I have had to play loads of songs I didn't like but the paying public did. You have to play what people want to hear, end of story. otherwise you will have a very short tenure in the venue you want to play in.

Try playing Wagon Wheel endlessly!

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I think we gig for different reasons. And in different pubs...

18 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Acoustic version should be quite fine without electric bass, just be sure to put the HPF back on the acoustic guitar afterwards.

36 minutes ago, ubit said:

Threatening to leave a band or refusing to play is just childish in my opinion.

Why? This isn't the day job, this is what I do for entertainment.

When I joined my current band it was obvious that my opinion was less important than others on things - fair enough, but I wanted a line in the sand of what I wouldn't do. Oasis was it for me (and seems for other people).

36 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have had to play loads of songs I didn't like but the paying public did. You have to play what people want to hear, end of story. otherwise you will have a very short tenure in the venue you want to play in.

I have to play lots of songs I don't like, I play several songs I hate, but I am not playing oasis. I have played with my current band for over 150 gigs including one pub where we have played ever month. Many times people have called out for wonderwall, almost like its a joke now, but they know it is not happening. 

So no, I don't have to, no 'end of story' thanks very much!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Acoustic version should be quite fine without electric bass, just be sure to put the HPF back on the acoustic guitar afterwards.

This is a good point; most of the Oasis stuff works very well as an acoustic singalong (especially things like Half The World Away), or part-acoustic (Don't Look Back In Anger the band comes in on the chorus, kinda thing) - plenty of space in the arrangements for the unwilling bassist to go and have a right old sulk...or, as I mentioned earlier, go and order a round... 🙂

Edit: If you do, I can recommend taking your bass with you: it helps to underline the fact that you might be in a bit of a hurry*

* Being bassists, no-one will have noticed who we were onstage, so the visual prop is sadly necessary...

Edited by Muzz

Just now, Downunderwonder said:

No doubt you have found a niche but it doesn't give you the right to pass judgement on how other bands choose to entertain their drunken punters.

I wasn't, I am just saying what I will do, but apparently it seems gives you and others the right to pass judgement how I am allowed to entertain my punters :/

and now not playing oasis is a 'niche', jesus get a grip!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Muzz said:

Just for clarity, I wasn't being serious about threatening to quit. I play what they tell me to play :)

1 minute ago, Sarah5string said:

Just for clarity, I wasn't being serious about threatening to quit. I play what they tell me to play :)

The good news is from a bass POV, you can learn a couple while the kettle boils...if they'd paid Guigsy by the note, he'd still be on the dole...

Just now, Muzz said:

The good news is from a bass POV, you can learn a couple while the kettle boils...if they'd paid Guigsy by the note, he'd still be on the dole...

I already said when we play highway to hell I'm wandering off to the bar until the chorus. Might do the same with Wonderwall

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

I already said when we play highway to hell I'm wandering off to the bar until the chorus. Might do the same with Wonderwall

Highway to hell is easy to play the notes, but a lot harder to make really tight and solid. On songs like that I’d focus on making it sound as huge as possible by concentrating to get the drums and rhythm guitar ultra-tight.

31 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

I was

27 minutes ago, Sarah5string said:

haha - we do highway to hell. Gives me time to do my nails. And Alright now.

• Haha 1