Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

3 minutes ago, Sibob said:

For sure, they're quick enough in Instagram....just not sure how to get photos from them now haha.
I wonder if the ordering emails are again from a different system to what @Woodinblackmentioned?!

Si

Yeah perhaps it is from a different email and that's the issue, the ones I've received are automated from [email protected] 

• Thanks 1

They've just sent me all the photos I need over Instagram, so that's helpful! Got me worried about what other emails I might not be receiving though haha. Hopefully not an issue.

Cheers all.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1

I feel like the sales comms are a lot better with their new system. I ordered new strings yesterday, I had an email confirmation, email to say dispatched, another with tracking details and I received them about 40 minutes ago. 

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I get the marketing emails on the sunday from them. Don't seem to be as quick with the updates to the effects pedal I sent back to them a few months ago to fix.

Marketing emails will have been sent using a bulk email service like Mail Chimp, and although it will have a Bass Direct "return" email on them, they won't have actually come from that address.

• Like 3

I think that so many gmail/hotmail accounts are used for spam at best and illegal communication in particular, so it is not surprising if some emails systems block them. I have always distrusted those free email providers but then it is easy to set up a dodgy email service for a few £s.

7 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I think that so many gmail/hotmail accounts are used for spam at best and illegal communication in particular, so it is not surprising if some emails systems block them. I have always distrusted those free email providers but then it is easy to set up a dodgy email service for a few £s.

Disappointing to be lumped in with that sort of nonsense - I've had my Hotmail account since 1997 (pre Microsoft days) and I assure you it is very much in legitimate use.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Disappointing to be lumped in with that sort of nonsense - I've had my Hotmail account since 1997 (pre Microsoft days) and I assure you it is very much in legitimate use.

The vast majority of Hotmail and gmail users are legit but many of the scams I have found have had Hotmail addresses.

It did get me thinking about paying for an email service….maybe I’ll start/search for a thread on it 🙂

I’ve also had my hotmail since the early 2000’s, so it’s a shame, but hey, can’t be missing out on stuff just because it’s a free service.

Si

I'd imagine that those sending spam are using usurped Hotmail and other providers; the original owner of the address probably has no idea of what's going out under their banner. I doubt that good spammers sign up to Hotmail to get a 'legit' address; why would they..? ^_^

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Marketing emails will have been sent using a bulk email service like Mail Chimp, and although it will have a Bass Direct "return" email on them, they won't have actually come from that address.

I suspect their email system is fine, just that they aren't sending any messages!

I guess I have to chase it up again, they were waiting for a part on the 9th March, I guess they are hard to get..

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

The vast majority of Hotmail and gmail users are legit but many of the scams I have found have had Hotmail addresses.

Most Hotmail scams faded out years ago. Gmail has never been as bad as Hotmail was.

11 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

The problem is actually the other way around in that Gmail, Hotmail and the other free email providers have started rejecting email from other email hosts that don't have the very latest authentication features. This has mainly affected small business who are paying for their own email addresses as part of their hosting services. The problem is compounded by the fact that there are no error or rejection messages received by the sending service. The emails simply never reach their intended recipients. It's a simple fix for the owner of the host that involves changing a couple of settings. Unfortunately if your are on one of the bigger hosting providers like Fasthosts, they have so many accounts that it is taking time for the hosting service themselves to update them all. I ended up doing the one I administer myself after a week of no-one with a Gmail address receiving any email from us, but it's a process that looks daunting for the non-tech-savvy, so they may leave it until the setting are updated automatically by the hosting provider.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

I’m trying to arrange a return to them and had good comms on Friday evening, then silence. I emailed again today but nothing back yet. 

Maybe try calling them. I found that works far better altho to be fair i only ever had one email not replied to over the years.

Dave

45 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Maybe try calling them. I found that works far better altho to be fair i only ever had one email not replied to over the years.

Dave

Cheers. 
i have had a reply or two so it’s all good. I did message them on FB and they got back to my email. Seems they have just been a bit busy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Cheers. 
i have had a reply or two so it’s all good. I did message them on FB and they got back to my email. Seems they have just been a bit busy. 

Ok don't keep us in suspense Dave, what ya buying. Will we see a NBD review soon ? :tatice_03:

Dave

• Haha 1

Italia Maranello Cavo Bass – Pre-Owned

£899.00

Italia Maranello Cavo Bass - Translucent Cacao

Used – Excellent

Price£985

+ £15 Delivery

I was surprised to see that Bass Direct has a bass identical to mine up for sale.  It's second hand and they are asking £899.00 for it.  The same guitar is for sale on the Reverb site for £985 + £15 Delivery.  It is the same bass because Reverb list the seller as Bass Direct.  I bought my Italia Maranello Cavo Bass just over 5 years ago for £670.00 - new.  I'm stunned that a second hand one is now around £1000!  It's a great little bass but not at that price.  I can't find any dealer that has new ones in stock so I can only guess what they cost now.  I must take better care of it!

7 minutes ago, Clarky said:

BassDirect and others (eg BassBros and Andy Baxter) always price higher on Reverb because of the 8% selling fee, which they obviously don't incur on direct sales from their own online sites

To be fair, I think that anyone who has something for sale on Facebook (or here, or wherever) adds a fair bit to the price if they try to sell on Reverb.