Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

I bought a bass from BD a couple of years ago, went in person to try some out, came away with what I wanted. Had to chase them up for an invoice though. Since then I've bought a few sets of strings online with no problems. I like to give my business to small companies rather than box sellers, so a couple of weeks ago I ordered some Hipshot tuners from BD, paid in full of course. I heard nothing for over a week, tried calling for 2 days with no reply, emailed them with no response, emailed again and finally got an answer saying they were out of stock, 10 weeks lead time, and was refunded. The same day, I received their weekly update email, which stated they had new stock of Hipshot tuners. I looked at the website, saw the ones I had ordered still for sale with no mention of actual availability. Poor service in this day and age. Thomann to the rescue.

• Like 1

Still heard nothing a further 29 hours later.

I've had a read of the posts saying just phone which is fine if someone picks up, however I have a busy working life so I can't spend hours waiting.  I'd also point out that I'm the customer so why is it my problem.  If you can't support the service then surely just don't offer it.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Mike said:

I was driving reasonably close by for a gig last Saturday with money for a Sadowsky Metro. I rang and rang to check it was in stock but couldn't get through on the phone despite them apparently being open. Didn't go in the end. Anyone else have issues with the phone number, or is it wrong online?

100% try one of those before you buy mate, I tried a 5 string metro express at BD and it was just shocking, loose wobbly pickups, bad frets, high action it felt very unfinished for such a big name. 

I bought a bass from BD. It was sent with 24 hour courier and they also reduced the price of a pedal as well.

Sadly, the bass (vintage Fender) had a couple of issues and had to be returned. They arranged pickup within 24 hours and refunded immediately.

This was the third bass I’ve bought and all my experiences have been positive.

Thomann have lots of customer service staff, but BD only have a few. I’d give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 4

I guess the above experiences are indicative of a small business, great service most of the time, but possibly a struggle when they’re busy. However to not acknowledge the purchase of a bass from the website is a worry.

I’ve been trying (via email with pictures) to order a Nordstrand Stingray pickup for a while, to fit into one of my Arias. All done via email because of the required photos. However the conversation has gone very quiet, so I’ve given up for now. 

I’m another phone hater, I just don’t like them. Even talking to the Mrs from my hotel last night, I couldn’t wait to get off the phone, I’ve always struggled with it, dad was the same. SO, email is great for me. In this day and age, you have to be on top of your emails, especially in business.

A friend at work hates using the phone but found putting it on loudspeaker so you’re not holding it to your ear helps. Guess it’s more like talking to someone in the room that way. Maybe worth a try. 

• Like 2

I don't get the aversion to phones at all.. I'd rather speak to someone on the spot and hopefully get a resolution there and then. 

It's usually far better to have a conversation with a human being (assuming it's one with common sense!).. think of all the stupid "tiffs" that arise on forums, most of these would never happen if the same conversation took place in the pub for instance. 

The one occasion I dealt with BD I ended up speaking to the bloke on the phone, all sorted in 2 mins. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MungoBass said:

Emails can also act as a very useful ‘audit’ trail should anything go horribly wrong. Something a ‘phone conversation cannot do.

Definitely. I do everything at work via e-mail, mostly so I can prove what I’ve asked for/agreed, but in the main it’s because my memory is bad, much easier to know where everything is in my folders than trying to access my brain for info.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

I bought a bass from BD a couple of years ago, went in person to try some out, came away with what I wanted. Had to chase them up for an invoice though. Since then I've bought a few sets of strings online with no problems. I like to give my business to small companies rather than box sellers, so a couple of weeks ago I ordered some Hipshot tuners from BD, paid in full of course. I heard nothing for over a week, tried calling for 2 days with no reply, emailed them with no response, emailed again and finally got an answer saying they were out of stock, 10 weeks lead time, and was refunded. The same day, I received their weekly update email, which stated they had new stock of Hipshot tuners. I looked at the website, saw the ones I had ordered still for sale with no mention of actual availability. Poor service in this day and age. Thomann to the rescue.

I've notice the same thing with their hipshot stock. The one's I want (chrome shiny ultratlite xtender clover OR Y-shaped and matching ultralite licenced never seem to be in stock.

8 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I don't get the aversion to phones at all.. I'd rather speak to someone on the spot and hopefully get a resolution there and then. 

It's usually far better to have a conversation with a human being (assuming it's one with common sense!).. think of all the stupid "tiffs" that arise on forums, most of these would never happen if the same conversation took place in the pub for instance. 

The one occasion I dealt with BD I ended up speaking to the bloke on the phone, all sorted in 2 mins. 

I was beginning to think it was just me - either that or I had indivertibly wandered into a self-help group! 

I always wonder how people function in bands if they can't talk on the phone or have social issues with dealing with people face-to-face. It seems to me that they are choosing the wrong lifestyle! I've never had issues talking to BD on the phone (apart from the odd occasion when they're too busy to pick up) - they've always been very helpful... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, peteb said:

I always wonder how people function in bands if they can't talk on the phone or have social issues with dealing with people face-to-face. It seems to me that they are choosing the wrong lifestyle! I've never had issues talking to BD on the phone (apart from the odd occasion when they're too busy to pick up) - they've always been very helpful... 

I have always wondered why people who don't have never had an issue with a company are really quick to deny the experience of people who did

4 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have always wondered why people who don't have never had an issue with a company are really quick to deny the experience of people who did

That's a whole other forum in itself - it applies to everything people find to talk about. "Well, of course, I never saw any -ism at work, maybe you took it out of context." etc.

I can cut them some slack with answering the phone - if one of them is with a customer who is noodling, and the other is in the office on the phone they may not notice it.  If I was a customer in the shop and talking to the staff about something I'd be annoyed if they kept stopping to answer the phone.

I am still patiently awaiting the new website - mainly because when looking at pics of shiny things on my phone it is clunky to navigate.

I ordered some strings for my Dingwall last Wednesday. Got the receipt about an hour later. They didn't arrive till this Monday, but I think I'm chalking that up to Royal Mail. I have had emails from them go to spam when I ordered some pickups and a separate time when I ordered some hipshot tuners that weren't in stock. @ead - it would be worth double checking your spam folder.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Allow me to explain.

Bass Direct are a small company that provide a pretty unique niche service to musicians in a challenging market, and I have used them quite a few times and always found them to be very helpful. However, if I knew nothing of BD or Basschat and was searching on the internet to see if I should use them or not and came across some of the posts here, I might get an unduly negative impression if those posts were to go unchallenged.

The thing is that they are not a big box mover with lots of staff and they are never going to manage their online operations as well as a company like Thomann. But Thomann, good as they are, are never going to give you the level of in-person service / advice that BD will, nor will they give you the opportunity to actually try out gear out before you buy. Every thing you say about BD you can probably say about Bass Gallery, who I think are great even if their website is even worse than the BD one!

Now I know that BD really don’t need me to champion them and they're doing OK despite a few negative posts on BC, but there’s not many of these types of small companies left in this country and we ought to appreciate them (or at least cut them some slack) while they are still in business…! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1