Why become a member? ×

Anyone got one of them Vox jack plug amp things?

leschirons

We've moved back from France and all my gear is still there apart from one bass so, I need something to play through whilst in lockdown. I was thinking of getting one of the Vox plug things for bass but keep hearing reports that they're poorly made and break easily. Anyone got opinions on this and if they are actually worth buying for noodling?

Thanks

I had two which broke in around a year, jack brock off and headphone socket stopped working. I decided to get something more robust.  The tascam GB10 is a good little unit as you can speed up/slow down parts to help with learning and also change key, but those things reduce the quality if you go too far but still really useable. The loop function is a godsend.

My vox amplug disintegrated. I stood up not realising my foot was on the headphones cable. So entirely my fault, but it literally fell to pieces. I use a Nux one now, cheap, doesn't sound as good but it has survived years of my clumsiness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One caveat to my vox amplug useage - I use the ‘clean’ version, intended for guitar. It doesn’t have the metronome or bass amp sims (but the fender bassman setting is pretty good), but I often like to practice without any amp sims, just to concentrate on my technique. It’s also really useful for playing guitar through - so there’s that. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, paul_5 said:

One caveat to my vox amplug useage - I use the ‘clean’ version, intended for guitar. It doesn’t have the metronome or bass amp sims (but the fender bassman setting is pretty good), but I often like to practice without any amp sims, just to concentrate on my technique. It’s also really useful for playing guitar through - so there’s that. 

This is only useful advice to the misguided minority .... :P

• Haha 1

I've got the Blackstar amplug. It's exactly the same (I'm told they're made in the same factory). I find the drum machine / metronome quite handy - a useful excersise, especially as I can't jam with any drummer pals ATM :(

it is a bit noisy with the gain turned up - so I keep that low to mid setting. It's a useful little device imo. Seems ok build quality... But I've only had it about 5 months, so I don't know if it will last longer than some folk on here have mentioned.

i have a pair of the Vox amp-headphones, and those sound pretty good, they haven't got the drum machine, also the jack lead is rather flimsy, not shielded well and a bit on the short side... It has started to break where it meets the jack plug, and seems like a cheap element which will make the whole thing fail :(

Of the two, I'd definitely recommend the amplug.

Edited by Marc S
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Where have you moved to, @leschirons?

I could cobble together some bits to tide you over if you're nearby- I can't speak for other basschatters, but we can be a helpful bunch, at a push! 😉

That is a seriously kind offer so thank you very much. However, I took the plunge and ordered the Vox which will arrive tomorrow.

We are currently in a rented flat in Harlow Essex but have found a place to buy in Norfolk. We had previously been looking in the South west around Crewkerne and Beaminster but couldn't find anything suitable so now moving to Norfolk, in between Swaffham and Dereham.

Thanks again for your kind offer.