Why become a member? ×

What Puts You Off?

stewblack

Basses that have been deliberately damaged to make them look old and road worn .."reclicing" I believe; awful thing to do.  Called "distressing" in the fake antique furniture business or "antiqueing" in double basses and 'cellos. 

There were two blokes made a perfect copy of a very ancient and valuable double bass (an Amati) a few years back .. it looked perfect; then they set to it with pumice stones and sharp implements to make it look like a real (ie old and damaged) Amati;  could have cried.

Doing this to double basses is unforgivable, but doing it to bass guitars is also pretty bad .. even if they're only Fenders.

Amusingly, though, I have a 130 yr old 'cello that was "antiqued" when built in a french factory a couple of centuries ago ... if finally caught up with its faked up age!

7 hours ago, NickA said:

Basses that have been deliberately damaged to make them look old and road worn .."reclicing" I believe; awful thing to do.  Called "distressing" in the fake antique furniture business or "antiqueing" in double basses and 'cellos. 

There were two blokes made a perfect copy of a very ancient and valuable double bass (an Amati) a few years back .. it looked perfect; then they set to it with pumice stones and sharp implements to make it look like a real (ie old and damaged) Amati;  could have cried.

Doing this to double basses is unforgivable, but doing it to bass guitars is also pretty bad .. even if they're only Fenders.

Amusingly, though, I have a 130 yr old 'cello that was "antiqued" when built in a french factory a couple of centuries ago ... if finally caught up with its faked up age!

"Heavy relic" makes me cringe.

On 30/08/2020 at 05:10, Riverbassman said:

Companies that can’t be original enough to have their own unique body style and copy a Fender Jazz or Precision body.  I don’t know why but it rubs my rhubarb the wrong way! 

By contrast ... for me it’s companies that try to alter the proportions of those classic shapes just for the sake of it. Call me an old stick in the mud. 

1 hour ago, prowla said:

Like this?

331757dd9a926439a7101c51f7ff1a6c0f13c650

That’s quite a stretch!

If you are going to do something different - do it. Awful as it is ... I have more time for the Buzzard than someone taking a P bass body and making the bottom a little more bulbous and fractionally changing the shape of the scratch plate. They just look weird to me. 

Edited by Nickthebass

1 hour ago, prowla said:

"Unwanted present." - wow; next time tell the gifter to just throw some money away 'cos that's all the gratitude they'll get.

Most of the time that is code for "I've stolen this and can't think of a better reason to make my sale seem genuine"

Did anybody mention "Road worn" yet (I know, really...).

The question is whether:

a. the bass has been gigged "on the road" and has received natural wear and tear,

b. it has been dragged along a road behind a vehicle and so is genuinely road-worn, or

c. the poor defenceless instrument has been attacked by a numpty with something sharp or abrasive in the belief that knackering it will add value?

19 hours ago, prowla said:

Did anybody mention "Road worn" yet (I know, really...).

The question is whether:

a. the bass has been gigged "on the road" and has received natural wear and tear,

b. it has been dragged along a road behind a vehicle and so is genuinely road-worn, or

c. the poor defenceless instrument has been attacked by a numpty with something sharp or abrasive in the belief that knackering it will add value?

It's actually really hard to age an instrument naturally if you take any reasonable care of the instrument, even if gigged heavily.