Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

6 hours ago, walshy said:

But has put a super clear picture on and it’s easy to see and identify it’s a battery box hole that’s been repaired, People who will be able to afford this bass will do their due diligence and his pics are more than clear enough imo. Anyway I know he’s on here too and I’m sure he will be along to add to this. Looks like a canny bass for the money imo but it’s a jazz so I’m out 

I’m not sure this is true. I’ve seen “vintage” instruments that have been fakers sold by shops and private sellers. 

Yes, every buyer *should* do their due diligence, but many don’t. Some are conned by the allure of a vintage bass and don’t know what they’re doing. They just assume vintage = quality and an investments they can’t lose out on.

Personally, if I were listing this I’d be forensic about it and totally honest. If you’re asking what’s top money for a “players” (I.e. messed about with) bass it’s only fair to do so. I’d also ask quite why the entire bass was stripped and pickups removed… 

Perhaps I expect more from people.

Edited by Burns-bass
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Clarky said:

As a follow up, does anyone have experience of whether Andy Baxter sticks rigidly to his listed prices or are they starting points for haggling? Asking for a friend 😎

Ive bought a bass from Andy once, and there was indeed some space for negotiation. A second time I was interested to buy one, there was no negotiation possible on the price.

So your "friend" could just give it a try 🤠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, briansbrew said:

It amazes me why a seller puts a vintage precision up for sale without giving it a good clean, I spent about an hour today and the difference is day and night all DNAremoved IMG_20230306_173532.thumb.jpg.99237fea3240db497194519c8994e305.jpgIMG_20230306_173615.thumb.jpg.20f287edadb788adccf34184d96a0262.jpgIMG20230306173911.thumb.jpg.fce668a8eb372123e8d9faa2d4bdd521.jpg

Great job! 👍 looks much happier now 😊 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

A couple of beauties under the hammer at the Gardiner Houlgate guitar auction this morning.

A lovely-looking 66P 'burst refin went for £3000, and a 63P Oly refin went for £4400. Both also subject to a +26% buyer's premium.

How odd. I never got an email from them for that auction!

A couple of beauties under the hammer at the Gardiner Houlgate guitar auction this morning.

A lovely-looking 66P 'burst refin went for £3000, and a 63P Oly refin went for £4400. Both also subject to a +26% buyer's premium.

I saw those, they only seem to give basic info on their basses when I asked, and it’s a bit of a journey for me to have a proper look 

• Like 1

And the strat that went with the 63 went for £20,000!

30 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I saw those, they only seem to give basic info on their basses when I asked, and it’s a bit of a journey for me to have a proper look 

For something that is in the 1000s, it is worth going there to inspect, as they are not experts.

I got my 5 string ibanez semi acoustic there - handy for things that aren't valuable, other things can be a tad overpriced as a lot of people seem to forget the fees, plus now our economy is bad, there are a lot more european bidders.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

And the strat that went with the 63 went for £20,000!

The Strat was £22k, so £27720 inclusive, which is reasonable for a custom colour spaghetti logo strat with a one owner provenance.

1 hour ago, GuyR said:

The Strat was £22k, so £27720 inclusive, which is reasonable for a custom colour spaghetti logo strat with a one owner provenance.

It might be normal, it is a long way from reasonable :)

I bid on both of the rics, one went too much and one went way too much!